No number plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the ruffian

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I've recently got back into having a bike after nearly a decade out of the saddle (but having ridden for 30 years before that).

Obviously, in the build-up to my re-entry ,and since then ,I've been an obsessive observer of everything biking - and there is something that intrigues me : the number of bikes out there without number plates.

On frequent trips to and beyond PE and on two Johburg trips in the last couple of months, it seemed that at least half the bikes that passed me on respective freeways had no plates. Mostly , these bikes were going at speed. Perhaps that's the reason. But I've also seen on forum trip reports photos and vids where bikes are plateless.

So, I'm intrigued: are there growing numbers of bikers who go plateless to avoid photographic fines, or are there also growing numbers of riders who don't even bother to register their bikes at all - which of course is in keeping with the vagabond spirit of being in the wind rather than in a cage to start with...