Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Plastic to diesel machines  (Read 701 times)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Plastic to diesel machines
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:02:40 am »
Or on a larger scale also called plastic pyrolysis plant.  It can turn plastic into a burnable oil that can be mixed with diesel or into diesel.

Many news article around about people building and selling such machines in South Africa but yet I don't see any stories about people making a business out of a machine they bought. Why?

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic to diesel machines
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:06:08 pm »
I know a WD who has been struggling to make those.  Problem is the diesel is inconsistent.  It is ok for old fashioned stationary diesel engines - those single cylinder electric generators (Perkins?  I forget the common ones name).  Often good enough for diesel engines with traditional diesel injector pumps - diesel bakkies.  Very unlikely to be good enough for current pressure rail systems.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »
I have been looking to buy bio/recycled diesel  for some time, as I run an old  diesel  lister engine for power, and an old tractor which has a Perkins engine on the farm, and even a land cruiser which will run on such crude fuels, but it is completely unobtainable commercially as far as I can figure.. If someone knows of where I can go and buy say 1000l at a time, please let me know.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:39:00 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline halfjob

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:54:04 am »
i am busy with one of the dogs on the forum who is busy refining the process and machine to produce this diesel. have just got the go ahead to start making the burner and all the steel work. biggest problem, as i understand it, was getting the process right so that it did not produce wax. he runs his old Mercedes on it with no issues. he has a test plant running.
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:58:29 am »
I know a WD who has been struggling to make those.

i am busy with one of the dogs on the forum who is busy refining the process and machine to produce this diesel

Same dog?

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 11:01:53 am »
Seems there are many building such machines and even some selling them yet as DB9 noted no product available to buy?

Is it purely due to the quality being that bad? Even for farm use like in lister engines or old tractors?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:02:20 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline ratrap

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 12:08:45 pm »
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 07:25:45 pm »
www.africanfarming.com/farmer-produces-fuel-plastic/
Feb 22, 2017 - This dairy and beef farmer from Vereeniging in Midvaal, Gauteng, uses a simple, homemade apparatus to make cheap diesel from old plastic

Interesting read
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Online geopat

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take more power to convert plastic to diesel that you get out of the fuel?

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 07:06:48 am »
I have produced ester( biodiesel) for about 5 years and of good enough quality to run my cdi vito on it, said vehicle is still on original motor.
Out of my experience, the effort you have to put in to make good and effective alternate fuel in most cases is not worth the saving made.
I am looking at putting up my plant again and also looking at the plastic as I have the base material available.
I cannot see it working except if you do the whole lot together.
My 2c
And no, I am not selling my plant
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:11:10 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take more power to convert plastic to diesel that you get out of the fuel?

As I understand the plant should be able to run on the product it produces requiring no external input. Apart from startup. Efficiency of the design is obviously important.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 10:19:05 am »

I have produced ester( biodiesel) for about 5 years and of good enough quality to run my cdi vito on it, said vehicle is still on original motor.
Out of my experience, the effort you have to put in to make good and effective alternate fuel in most cases is not worth the saving made.
I am looking at putting up my plant again and also looking at the plastic as I have the base material available.
My 2c

Thanks, so there is a lot of effort involved?  They all make it seem like an easy process: Throw in shredded plastic, turn on and get diesel.

Read an article which they used the process to make an oil (from tyres though) and mixed it with diesel which they claimed improve the diesel.

Did you build your own machine or buy one?
A picture maybe?

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 10:43:29 am »

www.africanfarming.com/farmer-produces-fuel-plastic/
Feb 22, 2017 - This dairy and beef farmer from Vereeniging in Midvaal, Gauteng, uses a simple, homemade apparatus to make cheap diesel from old plastic

Interesting read

Yip interesting

With his cheap machine he only saves 10-15%. Does not sound worth the effort. Wonder what makes it so expensive.

And then the diesel/petrol produced varies from batch to batch and you don't really know what you got.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »

My 2c

Thanks, so there is a lot of effort involved?  They all make it seem like an easy process: Throw in shredded plastic, turn on and get diesel.

Read an article which they used the process to make an oil (from tyres though) and mixed it with diesel which they claimed improve the diesel.

Did you build your own machine or buy one?
A picture maybe?
Built my own, it is not very complicated, but I have mine all stripped down in pieces from when I left the farm.
I use a sentrifical to remove the last water and solids, that alone will set you back over R100 000 so there goes the economy of scale.
Sorry no pics 
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)