Explore Bali ride March 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Not your typical African adventure ride report...In Indonesia to pick up my order of Kopi Luwak and while its being ordered, decided to do some riding in one of my most favorite places to explore. The island of Bali. Came scouting some routes for future tours and took 3 days to explore some basic route with SWAMBO in car....now is the time to take bike and ride them and test them. I looked at renting big bikes but decided, this time I will go native and do it on a scooter. Several reasons for this including cost (R150 per day vs R1000); blend in more with locals (big bikes stand out and this is good and bad thing); big bike offers no advantage in these roads (maximum speeds you can do; places you can explore; parts and repairs in remote areas). I watched a local lady ride up a dirt path on a hill with 2 kids and a baby on a scooter following a steep footpath I would struggle to get a KDX up solo. There is a road I did in the Terios that I'm going to do on the scooter which is a winding road up from the inside of a volcano crater out over the rim and down a long winding road to the coast. Its the local "Sani Pass". I am looking to offer tours to Indonesia that includes bike tours and want to offer variety to cater for all budgets so this is why I have to eat my own dog food. This ride report will be the result of my scouting trip condensed and I hope you will enjoy it. If any of you are considering a trip to the Far East please contact me about Indonesia. Its an incredible beautiful and very affordable place for family friendly holidays. I have been lucky enough to travel a lot and keep coming back to Indonesia. I will add pictures as I go along and will, at the end of the report, include some mixed pictures of Indonesia for reference.