Minus Ching = Plus Bling : 1200GS HYDE protector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xavier

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
To be honest, ever since I first saw the HYDE diff protector for the 1200GS being advertised in the esteemed TOPBIKE magazine, I knew I just had to have one. The protection offered I think speaks for itself.

Yesterday I picked one up from Runners establishment, who ordered one for me (PM Runner for more detail or to order).

Fitment was pretty straight forward, most enjoyable!  I saw LuckyStriker did a write-up of his fitment a while back, here follows my experience.

The kit arrives:
170.jpg

In the kit you will find:
170.jpg

If you have an assistant (spanner boy), it helps  ;) :
170.jpg

Tools you will need for successful fitment:
170.jpg

This is where the metal bracket must go. I found that placing it there, and attempting to fit the HYDE cover and line the screw up borders on the impossibility. OR require more luck and skill than I possessed last night :
170.jpg

Thus, I fitted the bracket such, maneuvered it through the hole in the bottom of the diff, rotated it 90 degrees, and then tightened it down:
170.jpg

When correctly tightened, the little metal tab on the GS diff (to the left of the HYDE protector screw) will protrude through the HYDE diff cover:
170.jpg

The quality of manufacture is most impressive! It fits like a glove. After the HYDE cover was fitted, the clearance (a cause for concern with me) between the rear seal and the HYDE cover was perfect! :
170.jpg

An then finally, the most fitting "Before & After" shots :  8)
170.jpg

170.jpg

Next on my 'list' (DV), the 1200GS steering stop.