Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lesotho - Sani to Katse dam  (Read 880 times)

Offline Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
Lesotho - Sani to Katse dam
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:55 pm »
Hi guys - a couple of us are doing the route from Himeville up Sani Pass and on to Katse Dam this weekend.  Any idea of the road conditions of the A1, the A3 and the B804 to Lejone?  Some rumours out there that the GPS will say 2-hours and the reality is more like 8 hours.....sounds like fun but I'm not keen on doing any night riding........
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline Xpat

Re: Lesotho - Sani to Katse dam
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:57:37 pm »
I don't know what the road conditions are, but it seriously is no biggie - I'm kind of amazed how freaked out people are lately riding main Lesotho roads (including Sani). Yes it is slower going than on SA roads, but nothing dramatic, just take it easy and enjoy. From Sani all the way to Mkhotlong is great tar, and from there it gets a bit more adventurous, but nothing that bunch of Euro noobs wouldn't easily manage even on big heavy bikes (I know as I dragged two groups of those through those roads).

Just relax and go. Start early so that you have some reserve in the case you run into problems like puncture or some such. Plus you can always stay over in Thaba Tseka if you run out of light - there is a nice guesthouse called Motherland or some such with restaurant and stuff (plus two other guesthouses that I haven't tried).

Offline Ventana

• De Colores!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:36:47 am »
Thanks Xpat - personally I think its a storm in a teacup - nearly all the roads have improved over the last few years - but the rumours of conditions are concerning some of the guys.....tough conditions make great stories.....was just wondering if there is any truth to the rumours - hopefully makes for a good ride report  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Offline adrekruger

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38:09 am »
Just do it!!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 11:05:49 am »
Thanks Xpat - personally I think its a storm in a teacup - nearly all the roads have improved over the last few years - but the rumours of conditions are concerning some of the guys.....tough conditions make great stories.....was just wondering if there is any truth to the rumours - hopefully makes for a good ride report  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

I haven't ridden those roads recently. I didn't express myself well - what I was trying to say was that those roads were perfectly fine even 10 years ago, when I did them first time and there was no tar to Mkhotlong. They were used by local public transport - buses, minibuses and taxis all the time. So unless you have some serious pussies (I mean people with psychological problems such as pathological focus on not getting any scratch on their shiny 'adventure' bike as it may lose R10 of their second hand value - who shouldn't be on those bikes in the first place) in the group you will be perfectly fine.

Sorry to be so blunt, I'm just trying to convey that it really is no biggie.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:40 am »
Some rumours out there that the GPS will say 2-hours and the reality is more like 8 hours.....sounds like fun but I'm not keen on doing any night riding........

Yes there is truth to the rumours. Depending on the gps map you will get conflicting times.
It does take a lot longer than normal gravel roads. Road conditions are not necessarily bad but it is a twisty road keeping speed down.

Google maps seem fairly accurate. 5.5-7hours excluding stops from Himeville to Katse.
That is by car and bikes are slightly faster.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:43:56 am »
Yes, as SM says - it takes time but not because of hardcore riding, but because of the twisties which make one keep the speed down. It's no Erzberg or Roof of Africa

One more comment - the situation may have changed, or I may not remember it exactly, but probably the scariest bit for the newbies, may be right after you turn off from tar on dirt to A3. You go through the village and then across deep canyon, where the gradient is pretty steep. But the road is usually quite good, just keep your momentum through the twisties and you will be fine. As I said, buses, taxis and such use that road normally.

Offline Ventana

• De Colores!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:11:17 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated!

Offline GS Jane

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »
Know if Sani has been tarred yet?  Or what is the condition of the road - still gravel?
Don't go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail

BMW R1200GS LC; Honda Quest Africa Twin number 8;  KTM 200 XC-W; Kawasaki Z400 J2 (sold);
BMW F800GS (Sold);  G650X-Challenge (Sold);  BMW F650GS Thumper (Sold)

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »
Hey Ventana - Aaklige Attie and myself also did Lesotho this past weekend. Think we might have passed each other on the road as we saw a few groups. We also did Sani, then Katse and Semonkong and Maseru - left via Ladybrand.

Had a lekker time, but had some incidents with stone throwing and aggressive locals. The rest was cool. Some of the best twisties ever  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Time for an Adventure

Offline Flipside

• Parow Trooper
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:49 pm »
Sani is a long way off from being tarred, went up on Wednesday.

Offline Ventana

• De Colores!!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:57:20 am »
Hey Ventana - Aaklige Attie and myself also did Lesotho this past weekend. Think we might have passed each other on the road as we saw a few groups. We also did Sani, then Katse and Semonkong and Maseru - left via Ladybrand.

Had a lekker time, but had some incidents with stone throwing and aggressive locals. The rest was cool. Some of the best twisties ever  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Good chance we passed each other.  I was surprised at the poor condition of Sani Pass, a lot more of a challenge than when I last did it in November '14.  Initially i was sad that Black mountain has been tarred but, imho, still a lot of fun with all the twisties.  Couldnt believe how busy the Sani Top pub has become - walked in and turned around immediately....crazy busy.