Finally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I was once told, if you ride a BMW, it is not if you will own a 1200, but when.

We’ll I’ve owned 4 BMW’s. F650GS, F650GS Dakar, 2011 F800GS and then finally 2013 F800GS.

I also spent quite a few years calling 1200's Volksies, I said often that I would never own one as I in fact had a Volksie when I was a kid. I even gave stick to any new member I had to introduce at a BMW Club Meeting who owned a 1200GS when I was silly enough to be called the Chairman for three years.

And now I must eat humble pie.

We recently were finishing up some filming work in the Hermanus area and we happened to have a 2017 R1200GS LC Full Spec on hand which my wife ended up riding from Gans Baai to Hermanus. She had asked me to stop before we went through Hermanus as she was very intimidated by taking it through the traffic etc. due to her not really touching the ground properly.

But no one else was aware of her request, so only us two stopped to change as I had her bike (another gent was riding my 800).

Well, it didn’t take too long before my helmet wasn’t big enough for the smile.

Firstly, what an engine compared to the 800, and then the road handling, just wow.

Anyway, I thought, well it has got the 19inch front wheel so the tar handling will be superior, so I decided at the top of Shaws Pass to head for Franschoek Pass on gravel.

Now I am rather particular about set up and suspension, gear lever must be just so, handlebars nice and high etc. This LC was in no way what I would call comfortable for me in a standing position……….but I had so much fun, this thing really is easy to handle, turn, the acceleration is incredible and the brakes are stupidly effective. They had to beg for it back when we stopped on the top of Franschoek Pass.

So, by Monday morning I had made the decision. Unfortunately, the Trophy is the only one I could afford, but now that I’ve run it in during one weekend trip, I am starting to believe my lack of finances may have actually benefited me. I actually prefer the Trophy to the Full Spec.

All I can say is, I absolutely love it, and in fact, I have already eaten my hat as I promised to do during one particular meeting, my friends made sure of that.

It has also since been well and truly "Rock Foxed".

Next up, Hyperpro progressive springs front and back, think they arrived today in fact.

Attachments

• BMW 1.jpg
    BMW 1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 634
  • Cake.jpg
    Cake.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 653