Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Finally  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Warren Ellwood

Re: Finally
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 08:03:04 am »
It doesn't make sense that it would Bear, its probably of no significance imo.

As for riding off road, bearing in mind we are talking about your average weekend out in the Tankwa or Cederberg, Klein Karoo etc. ......

It's difficult to put my finger on, but I can probably describe it thus:

In this class of bike I don't think the 1200 is in any way more capable than the 800, but it seems "easier to ride" if that makes sense. I just feel really comfortable on it. Little things like being able to turn it around on a single lane dirt road without putting my feet down or back pedaling the bike, I could never get that right on the 800 (lack of skill maybe), but on the new bike I can do it without giving it too much thought. I seem to be able to turn it much easier than I could the 800 as well at all speeds.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have also added Hyperpro progressive springs front and back and for me at least it has made a huge difference to the way the bike rides.

I suppose the test question is do I miss the 800, the answer is at this stage, no.

I also have it on fairly good authority that these Trophy models are being fazed out, so in a while you wont get a sub 200K 1200. My wife jumped on the bandwagon there and acquired her Trophy last Saturday. It is presently having all its bits fitted and more importantly, having the seat made a little lower so she can "flat foot" it.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline TheBear

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 05:39:43 pm »
I also have it on fairly good authority that these Trophy models are being fazed out, so in a while you wont get a sub 200K 1200. My wife jumped on the bandwagon there and acquired her Trophy last Saturday. It is presently having all its bits fitted and more importantly, having the seat made a little lower so she can "flat foot" it.

Also something that makes no sense.

I also heard that the Trophy is phased out as BMW states there is no, or a very small market in SA.  WTF!?  They were selling them faster than they could uncrate them.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »
So in future there would be only one model? The full package expencive one?
Guess then no more base model LCA's either?
Not a good move I think.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline AlanDoyle

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Certified Motorcycle Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 07:10:47 am »
I have to be honest here and say that I was exactly the same. I come from a racing background and just could not like a GS 1200 no matter how I looked at it. I used to think that it was designed for older men who had little riding experience and just wanted to ride a BMW for the Image of it.

Until Joel at Continental BMW here in PE offered me a demo............... a 2014 Gs 1200 LC full spec. What an awesome bike!!! Power, handling, comfort,just an amazing machine. So, I went and bought one, so now I am the old toppie riding a BMW 1200 GS LC and loving it.It's not a great off road bike, but makes one hell of a good road bike!!!