Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What SW is out there for Apple MacBook to stack satellite images from Landsat 8?  (Read 66 times)

Offline Xpat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
I have managed to download satellite images from the Landsat 8 satellite from USGS site. But they are in the primary colors/plases (or whatever it is called) and need to be stacked on top of each other (there is whole lot of images of the same area in different colors - light phases) to get proper Satellite image of the area as in Googlemaps.

I've been browsing whole night and found couple of SW for that like ArcGIS and ENVI, but they all seem to work only on Windows. I'm not keen to waste disk space to emulate Windows on my Mac, so I would like to know: is there a GIS SW that can stack the images with GIS info and works on Apple?

Thanks a mil.

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • View Profile
Don't know the answer to your question.  Are these essentially jpegs that you want to merge to get one image or is it the type of file that has additional info like you would be able to see n in ArcGIS (like e.g. switch roads on and off etc)?

One option would be to load Virtual box on an external drive and use that as your Windows machine.  Possibly a bit slow but may not be an issue if it is for occasional use only.
KTM 690R, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • View Profile
KTM 690R, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Xpat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
Thank you for the tip Amsterdam!  :thumleft:

It does to work on Apple, now I just need to figure out if it does what I want - I'm completely new in this and found out about this only on Saturday night, so it is a bit of a mission to figure out.