Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: RIP Gary Rowley AKA Grolls  (Read 7243 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gary Rowley AKA Grolls
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 02:25:15 pm »
Isn't it just a sad fact that we have to wait for a person to die to tell them how awesome they are and how much they mean.

RIP Gary. I didn't know you but you sound like you were a great person.

Unfortunately, this is a VERY true statement. It helps not one bit for others to hear it... I would like to be told that while I'm still alive.

Don't worry we wont.  :biggrin:
"The hardest part about riding a quad, is telling your parents you're gay"

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 02:27:22 pm »
Isn't it just a sad fact that we have to wait for a person to die to tell them how awesome they are and how much they mean.

RIP Gary. I didn't know you but you sound like you were a great person.

Unfortunately, this is a VERY true statement. It helps not one bit for others to hear it... I would like to be told that while I'm still alive.

Don't worry we wont.  :biggrin:

Trailblazer ... iemand like you baie  :biggrin:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline TrailBlazer

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »

...SNIP...

Trailblazer ... iemand like you baie  :biggrin:

Yep... smaak my so  :(  :P

I think Welsh is just jealous that he hasn't been told yet  >:D
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Rynet

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2017, 07:44:14 am »
It's been a tough week since Gary died on the 19th. The memorial service was a great tribute and send off for an amazing guy. There was great attendance, in excess of 500 people paying their respects. The family and friends want to thank all that made it so special.

It was very moving to watch the bikes roll in.

Gary was nuts about riding and as such died doing what he truly loved

I include an extract from my Eulogy which describes Gary to the T ...

Biggest hearted human I have ever met.

Gary was a big man but was as gentle as they get. Kind to all, carried a warm smile AND never saying a bad word about others.

His passion was contagious as he hooked you into his energy bubble uplifting all that he spoke to.

He loved the guys and vibe that was created around bikes.

His taste for riding was big but when you watched the man you realised his passion for people was so much bigger.

He would, for example, stop and show kids things his bike, spending time with them on how the clocks worked, forever changing the future of these kids while passing his kindness on.

He always offered any assistance regardless of topic or need.

Sharer and a carer, never did things for any recognition or reward, he honestly just wanted to help everyone.

He always had encouraging words for his fellow riders

Was hugely supportive of everyone around him and hardly ever bad mouthed anyone unless his stubborn character firmly believed that someone was wrong.

As a strong minded man, he latched on to strong family values but he also spoke freely about his experiences and endlessly shared his values with those around him.

Massively family orientated, and was the pillar of the Rowley family.

He was someone you could freely ping and ask for help; and very rarely disappointed in his quest to help.

One of our team mates, referred to him as his “Joburg Dad”, he was a role model and mentor and was someone he highly regarded and looked up to.

Highly stubborn when it came to his passions and beliefs, extremely warm and welcoming and often the man most people remembered in a room full of people.

He was more passionate about riding than most people I’ve met, and lived for the freedom that biking brings.

A mentor, not only with riding; a man of honour and integrity. An unyielding and loyal family man and friend. A lust for life.

Mindful of others ... always sweeping in our group on weekend outrides

That’s who Gary was and that’s what we all loved about him

RIP Brother you are missed :angel7:

Thank you very much White Rhino , this is a very moving Tribute .  I am so sorry for your pain and loss , I know you were especially close to Gary . Also the rest of Team Verve and his other friends and family .

It was very shocking that Gary died in the prime of his life . One moment he was so present and the next just gone . I am still trying to process it .

You describe him so well . While most of the riders at the Baja were busy with the hundreds of little ( and big ) things that a rally rider has to constantly do to prep ( understandably ) , Gary still found time to engage with the people around him and to even visit us where we were marshaling / taking pics to check out the lighter bikes, quads and side by sides . Gary was so curious and interested in everything and so intelligent and engaging . One thing you can say of him , he lived his life not just for himself , he engaged with people around him , constantly gave of himself and was an inspiration to his friends and family . A real hero .

Here he was investigating a Triangle that Adrian a Marshall had planted on the pole . No one else even noticed it .

Gary left a hole in many people's lives . But his legacy still continues to inspire people .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:45:03 am by Rynet »
“It’s impossible,” said pride. “It’s risky,” said experience. 

“It’s pointless,” said reason. “Give it a try,” whispered the heart.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:26 pm »
This is very sad news.

Condolences to his family and many friends.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 09:49:20 am »
Thanks for those photos Rynet, you can see he was loving every minute.

Gary we miss you, brother.  :'(
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:59 pm »
Still feels unreal.

Gary is the classic example of someone making an impact on the lives of others with one moments interaction.

What a great guy he was!!
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Noneking

RIP Gary Rowley AKA Grolls
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2018, 08:59:20 am »
What an amazing morning........

I see an ad for a Giant Loop Mojave that is for sale on FB. The price is ridiculously low and I'm almost sure it must be a scam. I contact the seller and he sends banking details, but his name on WhatsApp differs slightly from his FB profile. What the heck....it's a small amount, I pay the money over and seller sends confirmation of tracking details. Turns out it is Grolls' son selling some of his kit. We have a lovely discussion back and forth over WhatsApp about the big guy.

Miss you Gary!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:01:06 am by Noneking »
2018 KTM 1090 R

2017 HUSQVARNA FE 501

RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2018, 09:50:34 am »
yup - everytime I put on the HP2 shirt he made I miss the teddybear  :-\
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2018, 06:22:37 am »
I took a trip down memory lane with Gary last Sunday. I wore Groll's Baja shirt from the Baja we did in 2016, kindly given to me by his son, Mike. We did the rocks and the lumpy sand in the riverbeds in De Wildt with some of my old Team mates from Team Verve !! Chris and Ludo, die-hards from past Baja's and the Amageza.

De Wild was a favourite place we'd all ridden together many times and always had great moments of sweat followed by a of sense of achievement. Gary had also taken his HP2 through there which was another ramp in challenge.

Thanks to Chris' wayward routing we  did a lot of cross country between thorny brush, so Gary's shirt has a bit more houding with some flappy bits.

I really miss him for the great person he was but I especially enjoyed his desire to push himself to the next level to be better. He really loved riding and we won't talk about his love for the HP.

Gary's wife, Dinks, is having a tough time coming to grips with his absence, understandably. We are considering making a trip to the spot where Gary spent his last hours next year with her and the sons.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2018, 06:29:01 am »
I took a trip down memory lane with Gary last Sunday. I wore Groll's Baja shirt from the Baja we did in 2016, kindly given to me by his son, Mike. We did the rocks and the lumpy sand in the riverbeds in De Wildt with some of my old Team mates from Team Verve !! Chris and Ludo, die-hards from past Baja's and the Amageza.

De Wild was a favourite place we'd all ridden together many times and always had great moments of sweat followed by a of sense of achievement. Gary had also taken his HP2 through there which was another ramp in challenge.

Thanks to Chris' wayward routing we  did a lot of cross country between thorny brush, so Gary's shirt has a bit more houding with some flappy bits.

I really miss him for the great person he was but I especially enjoyed his desire to push himself to the next level to be better. He really loved riding and we won't talk about his love for the HP.

Gary's wife, Dinks, is having a tough time coming to grips with his absence, understandably. We are considering making a trip to the spot where Gary spent his last hours next year with her and the sons.

Good to keep his memory going.  :thumleft: 8)
"The hardest part about riding a quad, is telling your parents you're gay"

The following users thanked this post: White Rhino

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:52 am »
I have been thinking quite a bit of Gary these last few weeks. What legend.

White Rhino - You are a true friend.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Mooch

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2018, 10:27:58 am »
Good stuff W Rhino, Grolls is often in my thoughts - Miss him a lot!
If in doubt, flat out.

KTM 990 R, BMW HP2, KTM 525 EXC, KTM 300 EXC, Ducati 900 SSD
Previous Bikes:  KX 500, Ducati 996 BP, KTM 950, KTM 990 R, KTM 950 SE

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:42 pm »
Yes, we had a bike in common and is glad to have met this man. Thought if his death last week when a photo of the amageza popped up somewhere.

And then our other buddy HPFreak. Both large in life men. Your families in our thoughts Hope for peace in the near future

I tried the rest and still stick with the best.  -   ROOIVLEIS
2006 Hp2 - 2006 Hp2 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C       

2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2018, 12:47:34 pm »
Yes, we had a bike in common and is glad to have met this man. Thought if his death last week when a photo of the amageza popped up somewhere.

And then our other buddy HPFreak. Both large in life men. Your families in our thoughts Hope for peace in the near future

Jip - Both great guys that are sorely missed  :'(
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
www.sunsetchalets.co.za

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline Myrtle

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2018, 10:31:52 am »

Was a good ride bud. I remember Gary more often than not used to ride sweep. I miss the big guy,
There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.                                                   Robert Service

Offline Rockrider001

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:09 am »
RIP Gary  :'(