Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Western Cape bash 2017 Malagas. Add your pictures.  (Read 4835 times)

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
Re: Western Cape bash 2017 Malagas. Add your pictures.
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2017, 09:23:03 pm »
Nice report Ri. Looks like you and all who attended had a great time.

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 09:40:42 pm »
Thanks GraZer, was fun! It didn't feel overcrowded or rowdy, the food was excellent, and I met some really nice people.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2017, 09:47:19 pm »
Nice pics Ri.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2017, 09:59:21 pm »
Then someone asked me who Kortbroek was
:patch:  :patch:

Just an aside. I know I'm a girl and I shouldn't say this, but Berty77's wife is HOT. And she's such a lovely person too, please bring her along again :thumleft:
s'tru   :imaposer:

Enjoying your report Ri. Hopefully I'll get around to posting something this week.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2017, 12:54:58 am »
Very Lekker to see all these pictures and hope I can join next year.

Ri you should do more RR's, like your writing style but I am afraid you need to use that Country Trax voucher now to learn how to turn - enough falling now :deal:

So no burnouts in the bar and k@k makers on the WP Bash  :-\ And I see there were more than enough KTM's to cause havoc  :imaposer: So no need for letter of apologies and everyone got their deposits  :laughing4:
That means the Wild dogs will be welcomed back next year!!

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2017, 07:07:24 am »
I wondered what happend to the OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER pictures. :peepwall: :pot: :imaposer:

Thanks for sharing :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2017, 07:25:12 am »
Very Lekker to see all these pictures and hope I can join next year.

Ri you should do more RR's, like your writing style but I am afraid you need to use that Country Trax voucher now to learn how to turn - enough falling now :deal:

Yeah yeah...  :ricky:

Offline Rynet

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2017, 07:56:59 am »
Looks like a lekker Bash , good time was had by all.   :ricky:

Thanks for the pics and reports Mellow Yellow and Ri and others. Always enjoyed the Bash, and nice to at least read about it  :biggrin:

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2017, 08:07:20 pm »
Some more breakfast shots.

Somewhere over the weekend I'd met Beast Rider, and when he mentioned that he's headed back towards Somerset-West/Strand, I asked him about his route, because I wanted to do Hemel-en-Aarde is possible. Sharp, he and his friend are going that way! I ask if I can join, and they, also graciously, agree. I add the usual disclaimers about my abilities, but they don't seem fazed.

I'd packed most of my stuff, and went to finish up packing. A lovely older gentleman, who was there with his equally lovely wife, assisted me with packing and gave me pointers on ergonomics and proper strapping. By this time Beast Rider and Co were fully kitted and revving their bikes (a Buell and a F800GS.... what on Earth had I let myself in for?  :eek7: ) so I was bit nervous, praying, once again, that I wouldn't tip over in full view of all the Dogs idly standing around shooting the next breeze.

I think a few Dogs were surprised that I was up, packed and ready to ride so early in the morning, considering how late I'd partied  :ricky:

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:49 pm »
Beast Rider's route home was planned to pass through Bredasdorp, so you can imagine my surprise when we shot straight past the turn-off and headed onwards. I considered whether I should wait at the turn-off and hope they notice and turn back, but then decided to follow them, as I guessed that they knew a different, alternative route.

We traveled a beautiful gravel highway straight into the N2, and turned right in the direction of Swellendam. After about 500m, we suddenly U-turned and stopped back at the start of the gravel road. Turns out neither of my companions bothered to read any sign boards, each probably expecting the other to do it. Beast Rider checked his routes, and we headed back the way we came, me waving at all the Dogs we passed, laughing my head off. We found our turn off, and eventually reached Bredasdorp.

From here we went through Napier, and then started the fun. I can't remember the roads, because I'm old and my memory is full, but it was fun. First off were nice gravel stretches, and then we turned off onto a narrow track just short of a twee-spoor that wasn't too narrow, but had these nasty little twisty sandy stretches with high sandy side walls, directly flanked by trees. It was beautiful and for me a lekker challenge.

The sandy stretches were long enough to challenge but not quite unseat me, as I tried to apply the sand-riding advice I received on my last fateful day trip (where I toppled twice in long sandy 2-spoor). I kept it together until almost the last, when I lost balance and veered sharply to the right, bouncing over the middelmannetjie and heading for the trees, managed to twist my body and handlebars and head the other way, bouncing over the middelmannetjie again, and up into the thick sandy sidewall, which effectively stopped the bike dead. I managed to get a foot out as the bike toppled, very proud that I had not ACTUALLY crashed and fallen this time  :lol8:

But I was almost bash plate deep in sand, waiting for help to turn back. I cautiously tried to rock out but my position was a bit precarious. Beast Rider finally appeared around the bend, laughing his head off at my predicament, before unceremoniously dragging my front wheel back onto the track. This was enough; I rocked and throttled, and I was on the way again.  :ricky:

Shortly after we stopped at the stream in the nature reserve to take a lovely break.

1: Photo opportunity :D
2. Beast Rider in the bee suit ;-)
3. Running to beat the count down timer
4. Covering all the angles. Three goodlooking bikes!
5 + 6. Rest stop
7. Of course this photo doesn't do justice to the marbly steepness of this hill we crawled down to our rest stop :xxbah:
8. My chilled, unfazed companions, taking everything in their stride.
9 + 10. The stream Beast Rider insisted was pure enough to drink from, until we pointed out the presence of sheep on the banks further upstream  ::)

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 08:39:02 pm »
1. Rest stop photo of Christo.
2 + 3. From the nature reserve, we headed into Stanford for some ice cold beer.
4 + 5. On the road again, on the way to Hemel-and-Aarde. Again, can't remember the turnoff. I do remember, though, Beast Rider taking a small detour for the simple pleasure of riding over a wooden hanging bridge. I really appreciated that, such a fun thing to do  :biggrin:
6 - 10. Stopping to admire a dam wall, and worry about the low water level.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:41:42 pm by Ri »

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:10 pm »
Some of Beast Rider's photo's

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 09:11:36 pm »
From Stanford, we take Hemel-en-Aarde home, then head for Rooiels on tar. It is windy and not fun. The plan is to have another rest stop in Rooiels, and then head home.

When we reach Pringle Bay, calamity had struck. The road is closed due to raging fires on both sides, and no one is allowed through. No, not even little bikes.

Christo recalls a dirt track around the other side of the mountain, but the turnoff is further along the road we're not allowed to take. We backtrack a bit, then head up a sandy footpath into Pringle Bay. I make good progress but then have to pass between two rocks, and of course manage to launch the Purple Hooligan over one rock - thankfully the smaller one. The Hooligan lands and promptly lays down, protesting such harsh treatment. My foot is trapped, but the sand is pretty deep, and I manage to lift the bike enough to escape. I make a few attempts at lifting the bike, but with the luggage on it is too heavy. I eye the luggages straps, wondering whether it's worth it trying to make the effort, but I'm too tired to bother.

Beast Master comes walking back, laughing his head off again and taking photos. I'm glad to afford some amusement, they're great company :D We lift my bike together, and I manage to ride the last few meters to the gravel back roads of Pringle Bay.

We ride around a bit, trying to find a way to the dirt track Christo remembers, but only find dead ends. We go ask the lady traffic officers pretty please to let us through so we can find the dirt track, but they steadfastly refuse - we have to turn back (to my secret relief. I didn't know whether I had another dirt track in me...). We head back to Highlands Pass in an increasingly insolent and pushy wind, past other points where traffic has been stopped and told to turn around.

We reach Highlands pass, and head up. Maybe it's my exhaustion, but it feels in very rough condition. It is rutted and marbly, and the bike battles to get a grip. We finally reach the top, where we pass on the opportunity to stop at the outlook point where I had one of my 5 crashes on my previous ride (a particularly spectacular one where I came screaming up the steep side of the hill, over the top, heading straight for a friend's bike before crashing to a sliding stop right next to it).

Sir Lowry's isn't too bad except for the wind, and we pull into the Shell to fill up and say our good byes.

Thank you, Gentlemen, it was a pleasure to ride with all of you this weekend  :thumleft:

1. Hooligan takes a break
2. Almost made it through, LOL.
3 - 6. Refuelling and good byes.

Offline Rynet

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 04:45:31 pm »
Thanks Ri for the nice report ,  and well done for riding that sand !  :thumleft: :ricky:

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
Thanks Ri for the nice report ,  and well done for riding that sand !  :thumleft: :ricky:

Thanks Rynet! I would love to learn to ride sand well but that means practicing ...  ::)