Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SW Motech upper crash bars and BMW Fog lights  (Read 448 times)

Offline shahin

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
SW Motech upper crash bars and BMW Fog lights
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:19:35 pm »
Hi Guys

I've bought a used 2015 R1200GS which has come with SW Motech lower crash bars and BMW spot lights already fitted.
I've then went to go and buy the match SW Motech upper crash bars which i would now like to fit on the bike.

However, The SW Motech upper crash bars and the BMW spotlight mounts are not compatible and therefore I'm unable to complete my installation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can make this work?
Or where i can possible get mounting brackets that will be compatible with both my SW Motech crash bars as well as the BMW spot lights.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

I don't ride a bike to add days to my life
I ride a bike to add life to my days

Offline Omninorm

Re: SW Motech upper crash bars and BMW Fog lights
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 03:38:16 pm »
I can't help but would like some feedback on the lower SW Motech bars. Does it look like it will protect well enough in a offroad tip?
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline shahin

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:19:30 am »
The lower bars haven't yet been tested with a drop so I can't give you an informative answer, but they seem pretty decent and look like they will do a job.
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life
I ride a bike to add life to my days

Offline Jaco Naude

SW Motech upper crash bars and BMW Fog lights
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:48:34 am »
I had them on my previous LC, they will work to protect your bike adequately, but do not provide maximum protection to protect the cylinders which can be prone to rocks etc. when you do topple over. I will further fit protective covers, like Machine Art X Head covers as a further protection option. Think they are about R2900 for a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:49:13 am by Jaco Naude »

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 02:59:34 pm »
Hi Guys,

I answered this on Farcebroek, but not everyone goes there......

Wunderlich have an awesome solution to the problem it seems with all upper crash bar fitment. If you have the BMW spotlight mounting kit, it doesn't work with the SW Motech, Wunderlich and several other upper crash bars. The BMW mounting bracket is in the way.

Meet the Wunderlich Spotlight mounting kit for original spots that allows you to attach the spots onto the upper crash bars and also gives you the ability to move them a lot more than the standard bracket to set them exactly where you want them to shine.

Priced at R 888.00 less the usual WD discount.
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:03 pm »
I had them on my previous LC, they will work to protect your bike adequately, but do not provide maximum protection to protect the cylinders which can be prone to rocks etc. when you do topple over. I will further fit protective covers, like Machine Art X Head covers as a further protection option. Think they are about R2900 for a set.

Thanks Jaco.Appreciate the feedback.

I think I'm going to go with the RockFox ones.
Good Price, Local and seems to protect a bit better.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline kwassi

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:45:51 pm »

Thanks Jaco.Appreciate the feedback.

I think I'm going to go with the RockFox ones.
Good Price, Local and seems to protect a bit better.

+1
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.