Am I slow? And sand riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
So I joined a Group ride yesterday. Was marketed as fairly easy and it was, besides a couple patches of sand (we'll get to that). I just had one of those days where nothing was quite gelling on the bike, I just didn't feel on top of my game.  I havent ridden dirt in a while so it's probably just that.

First question:  How fast do you ride?  I mean I know it obviously varies according to road condition, but comfortable cruising speed?

I seem to be fairly happy chilling at 70-90km/h on a decent dirt road.  Faster than that just feels like a strain, and is probably outside my ideal comfort zone.  I realise I need to push my comfort zone out now and then, but it seems like everyone I ride with wants to belt it as fast as possible all the time.  Am I just slow? For me the whole point of this type of riding is to see roads and areas you normally wouldnt get a chance to see on the highway. I like to appreciate the sights without having to focus 110% on riding as fast as possible always.

I think another reason for my comfort zone being where it is, is because at that speed I feel like I can see potential hazards, or changing road conditions with enough time to adjust for them, either change line or bring the speed down.  Which brings me to the next question....

....Patches of sand in an otherwise good dirt road.  Everyone just says "lean back and gas it" but that just seems like an "irresponsible" method to dealing with it.  If you go into it at 80, and then gas it, you're going through it at 100 in a short space of time. Surely thats just asking for a bigger off if you can't handle the sand at a slower speed in the first place?

I realise you do need to keep the gas on in sand and it's a bit counterintuitive, but I'm trying to think of a way to train out the braking reflex without "just gassing it" and killing myself in the process.