Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bronze qualifier 2017  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
Re: Bronze qualifier 2017
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 11:11:10 am »
Well done to all who qualified, seems as if the organizers got it right this time. Will be interesting to see how much tougher the race will be.
Epilot,  if the qualifier is any indication of the difficulty level to be expected in November then the riders are in for a huge challenge.
Probably why they call the Roof  "The mother of all enduro"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:12:33 am by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 01:51:12 pm »
It does seem as if every year the wick is turned up a bit more - guess it is the nature of extreme enduro (and extreme sport in general). Curtis reckoned he toned the qualifier down a bit  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 03:00:39 pm »
I have thought long and hard about it ever since the race, and I believe that the bronze has become too difficult, all things considered (based on my experience of the race since first competing in 2007). I am now seriously doubting whether I would want to enter the main race, despite qualifying well. If it is going to be anything like last year (which I've missed), I'm certainly out.

Offline Epilot

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 05:19:43 pm »
Don't let the qualifier get you down, it is bronze after all. You know how you ride compared to your mates, if you qualified for bronze, you will more than likely finish the race. No one wants a roof medal that anyone can get! It must be earned.

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:58 pm »
This is a quote from a rider on moto101

I did the quali 

My result isn't anything amazing but a definite improvement from last year. I'm still happy.

Just my 2c.

The two loops were really good fun, had a mix of everything in them. Although I would've preferred slightly more tech and less fast flowing routes. But that's just me...
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:27 pm »
This is a quote from a rider on moto101

I did the quali 

My result isn't anything amazing but a definite improvement from last year. I'm still happy.

Just my 2c.

The two loops were really good fun, had a mix of everything in them. Although I would've preferred slightly more tech and less fast flowing routes. But that's just me...

Great! Will it be Gold or Silver then?

Offline Epilot

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:19 am »
Why bother with bronze if you want it harder?

Offline edgy

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2017, 07:25:49 am »
Thats also a typical moto101 forum response and why I no longer visit the site...real bunch of dick swinging going on there (wonder where he actually placed?)
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Epilot

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2017, 07:32:05 am »
Probably would have won if he hadn't stopped to admire the view and help everybody else.

Offline edgy

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2017, 07:46:33 am »
Probably would have won if he hadn't stopped to admire the view and help everybody else.
Exactly :lol8:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2017, 10:11:29 am »
All this is to be blamed on a certain Mr. Graham Jarvis. This fellow has been going around the world making every extreme enduro race look like a flat track race. His riding skill is of a level supreme to anything ever thought possible on a motorbike.

In response to this, extreme enduro organisers have had to set routes to try and catch him out in the meantime punishing mere mortals who are brave enough to enter these events  >:D. The mortals have responded by upping their technical riding skills and now they are hungry for more. Most now complaint if a route requires changing up to anything close to third gear.

The modern extreme rider enjoys routes where you are stuck in first gear and every so often you can click to second for a quick spat between one rocky section and the next. Grab your popcorn and lets enjoy the show  :thumleft:

Offline Epilot

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2017, 03:54:41 pm »
Different strokes for different folks, take a look at Romaniacs the classes are well worked out for the riders. i.e. Hobby class does not do anything stupid.

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2017, 09:22:34 am »
Different strokes for different folks, take a look at Romaniacs the classes are well worked out for the riders. i.e. Hobby class does not do anything stupid.

There is nothing nicer than spectating the Roof  O0 ... sitting there at the top of Freefall or Bushman's and watching people take 30 minutes to do just 500 meters ... and the finishing climb is classified "no help zone"  :deal:

Offline CycleC

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »

Romaniacs have exactly the same set up as the Roof except they introduced a TIN class which is lower than Bronze, I suppose you could call it hobby class , its really for guys wanting to spectate but also be parts of the event. It also helps with filling up their entry. The Gold at Romaniacs only gets around 35 entries with the lower classes making up the bulk of the entry. I suppose they could bring in a TIN class at the Roof but then again why would you want to water down an event that is known and marketed as one of the toughest races in the world.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2017, 04:04:43 pm »

Romaniacs have exactly the same set up as the Roof except they introduced a TIN class which is lower than Bronze, I suppose you could call it hobby class , its really for guys wanting to spectate but also be parts of the event. It also helps with filling up their entry. The Gold at Romaniacs only gets around 35 entries with the lower classes making up the bulk of the entry. I suppose they could bring in a TIN class at the Roof but then again why would you want to water down an event that is known and marketed as one of the toughest races in the world.

They should do this but make the Tin class a one day event (like the qualifier) and the day before the Roof proper starts. These guys could try the Roof out and then spectate the main event - win for everyone.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »
Sorry but do not think you should give ROA the idea or opportunity to prostitute the event and make it soft cock for the bucket list weekend warriors. It is the mother of extreme enduro for a reason - leave it that way. :3some:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: