Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A crane dropped a load of steel on me while riding past - now what :)  (Read 6086 times)

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: A crane dropped a load of steel on me while riding past - now what :)
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 02:26:32 pm »
Lunatic, could you please forward me some numbers for tonight's Powerball you are the luckiest person I know. I have worked construction, I cannot believe your luck.  :sip:
:thumleft: Seconded... that was far too close for comfort.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 03:44:34 am »
Luck?

Are you'all fucking crazy?  :eek7:

This dude was fucking UNLUCKY... to be hit by falling metal rods from a crane...  :patch:

Lucky to survive, yes. But to be hit by falling bits of iron? Fucking unlucky dude. DON'T stand outside in the next thunderstorm  :deal:  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline ZA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 06:05:42 am »
Live to fight/ride another day  :ricky: good attitude towards the whole situation  :thumleft: calm and cool  O0

Offline JFE

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:09 am »
To live and tell the tale is pretty amazing, I work in this industry and not often someone get up and walk away from it.
Dept of labour will launch a full scale investigation according to the Occupational Health and Safety Act. If found guilty of negligence the company will be fined and in the event of gross negligence the site manager or CEO might even be given jail sentences. But that is all under the OSH Act and does not concern you as an individual.
You need to see a lawyer and file a civil suit against the operating company. Mostly the developers will distance themselves from such a suite as they will have a lot of pre-qualification documentation on the operating company proving them competent to perform the job within the legal framework. It is a tough one pin-pointing accountability and the guys with the ties are your only hope.

Best of luck to you, I hope you get someone that can really hurt them, the probabilities are just too high to except.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 09:38:11 am »
Holy hsit man! :o

You are frigging lucky and unlucky at the same time. 

I often freak out about driving under bridges where work is being done and cranes etc.   I also drive a Wrangler which has a softtop on 90% of the time so I have zero protection above me so even a dropped tool or something could be lethal.

Yeeeesh. Thats scary.

Offline Lunatic

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 10:11:17 am »

I often freak out about driving under bridges where work is being done and cranes etc.   I also drive a Wrangler which has a softtop on 90% of the time so I have zero protection above me so even a dropped tool or something could be lethal.

Yeeeesh. Thats scary.

Same as me...also in the wrangler when i need to use the cage. I often thought if i was in the wrangler that day i wouldnt be here....that helmet saved me big time. Who said bikes are more dangerous than cars  :laughing4: :thumleft: :pot:
BMW GS1200, KTM 950SM, Honda VTX1800, CRF450, YZ450F!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 11:42:56 am »

Yeeeesh. Thats scary.

Same as me...also in the wrangler when i need to use the cage. I often thought if i was in the wrangler that day i wouldnt be here....that helmet saved me big time. Who said bikes are more dangerous than cars  :laughing4: :thumleft: :pot:

I'm definitely telling my SO about this next time she says bikes are unsafe!! :biggrin:

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 11:44:26 am »
Ma se hare......  :o

You sir, are extremely lucky. I think you should leave the bike in the garage for the rest of the year. Your luck is all but spent...

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »
Jeez Lunatic, maybe you're Superman but did not know it!
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 04:01:17 pm »
Wow, glad to hear that you are ok. Someone was looking after you.

What kept your bike upright when you passed out ? Did it fall over after you 'came around' ?

I guess the cars at the front of the queue must have seen everything, did they stop as witnesses ?

I was riding at approx 40-50km/h as i had just pulled off. The bike managed to stay upright for about 150-200m while i was out.
The cars saw, but it was 5pm traffic and a single lane, so no one pulled over.
Everything was recorded on CCTV from the hotel across the road.

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube
Get millions of views and money from youtube  :deal:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:01:45 pm by silvrav »

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 07:40:00 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

Whilst not intended to defer the seriousness of the incident, nor condoning the actions of the contractor, I think your comment would be very different if you ever carried a 8.1 or 2.6.1 appointment, never mind a 16.1.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:44:54 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 08:29:04 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

Whilst not intended to defer the seriousness of the incident, nor condoning the actions of the contractor, I think your comment would be very different if you ever carried a 8.1 or 2.6.1 appointment, never mind a 16.1.

..... and if somebody got killed through negligence of the construction company?

we all realise that it was pure luck that the OP was not killed and not because of competence of the company..... or fancy appointment codes

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 08:33:44 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

..... and if somebody got killed through negligence of the construction company?

we all realise that it was pure luck that the OP was not killed and not because of competence of the company..... or fancy appointment codes

What are you trying to say here Bundu?
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2017, 08:44:04 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

I'm saying that a company that fucks up, should not be afforded leniency, just because the worst didn't happen

if the OP was killed, which he could have been, I would hate to listen to a plea for sympathy because somebody is now in shit

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 08:56:38 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

I'm saying that a company that fucks up, should not be afforded leniency, just because the worst didn't happen

if the OP was killed, which he could have been, I would hate to listen to a plea for sympathy because somebody is now in shit

Nowhere am I suggesting sympathy for the company Bundu.  Obviously I didn't make that clear enough.  The 'fancy' appointments as you refer to, is actually individuals that carry serious legal liability in the event of an incident/accident.  These 'fancy' appointees are dependent on a series of subordinate appointments, each carrying liability in their own right.

What I was trying to point out is that if someone has been in this position of dependent responsibility, their comments would have been more reserved, especially when it comes to promoting sharing it on social media for personal gain.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:01:11 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 09:05:21 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

Nowhere am I suggesting sympathy for the company Bundu.  Obviously I didn't make that clear enough.  The 'fancy' appointments as you refer to, is actually individuals that carry serious legal liability in the event of an incident/accident.  These 'fancy' appointees are dependent on a series of subordinate appointments, each carrying liability in their own right.

What I was trying to point out is that if someone has been in this position of dependent responsibility, their comments would have been more reserved, especially when it comes to promoting sharing it on social media for personal gain.

I understand appointments under the law - In my younger days I ran an electrical division in a steel plant with around 400 people and there were accidents and investigations, but that was what myself and my managers were paid for - we were paid to prevent injuries or deaths and accepted that

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 09:12:24 pm »
Ok, post it on YouTube, twitter, Facebook, wherever you feel appropriate.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:03 pm »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

Kobus, ek dink nie silvrav het daai so ernstig bedoel nie.

Lyk of hy bedoel ipv prokureers en legal battles kan jy geld maak op youtube soos al die ander 'close call' en 'lucky to be alive' vids.

Ek neem aan 'n video sonder om die company of mense aan te vat. Maar ja iemand kan ook dalk iets optel in die video en dit te ver vat.

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:34 pm »
Ok, post it on YouTube, twitter, Facebook, wherever you feel appropriate.

if "The construction site staff would not assist me, and would not call the site manager. After a commotion Metro Police arrived and suddenly they could radio the site manager, who arrived 40 mins after the incident to take me to meet his directors to work out what needs to be done." was what happened, I probably would have  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 09:44:36 am »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube

all was said tongue in cheek as no one got hurt.

I am currently appointed as 16.1

The contractor was clearly not willing to assist, this is clear. All the staff giving false statements of the events that happen and only after the CCTV confirmed his story did things happen.

Contractors in SA are not being held liable unless it attracts attention.

secondly, it happened in public, and as per the law if you in public domain, be expected to be filmed. Your permission is not needed. As long as he states the facts and have permission to use the CCTV footage he should be in the clear.

lastly as  Slainte said its more on the close call kind of videos that circulates youtube and gets millions of views.