Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A crane dropped a load of steel on me while riding past - now what :)  (Read 6088 times)

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Re: A crane dropped a load of steel on me while riding past - now what :)
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 11:03:37 am »
now that that's sorted, post a link to the vid mr Lunatic!
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 09:38:31 am »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube
Get millions of views and money from youtube  :deal:

Whilst not intended to defer the seriousness of the incident, nor condoning the actions of the contractor, I think your comment would be very different if you ever carried a 8.1 or 2.6.1 appointment, never mind a 16.1.

all was said tongue in cheek as no one got hurt.

I am currently appointed as 16.1

The contractor was clearly not willing to assist, this is clear. All the staff giving false statements of the events that happen and only after the CCTV confirmed his story did things happen.

Contractors in SA are not being held liable unless it attracts attention.

secondly, it happened in public, and as per the law if you in public domain, be expected to be filmed. Your permission is not needed. As long as he states the facts and have permission to use the CCTV footage he should be in the clear.

lastly as  Slainte said its more on the close call kind of videos that circulates youtube and gets millions of views.

Accepted silvrav.   :thumleft:

I do tend to over react a bit and take it too personal when there is a contractor involved.  The public perception towards our industry took a serious beating due to Compcom and our friend Wayne Duvenage also did us no favours with his Carte Blanche report, which is a debate the industry is not afforded to partake in.

Whilst some of us work very hard to change that perception, these incidents don't do us any favours. 

Anyway, however you wish to pursue this Lunatic, I'm grateful that you're here to tell the story, I wish you the best of luck and am sure that the outcome will be just.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Lunatic

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 10:25:39 am »
I am definitely not here to make a massive noise or expect a lotto payment, I just wanted advice as i have spoken to 3 different attorneys that all had a different approach.

The contractor has been really good and will reimburse me for the material damages from the accident, however it stated "full and final settlement".
After the accident with the post concussion I had a few days that felt like I had vertigo. Seriously wobbly especially in the morning, but the doctor said this would go away.
I didnt ride obviously, and drove for a few weeks to stay on the safe side.

I haven't had that sensation for 4 weeks now, but this morning I had it again.

So if I accept full and final settlement(which I am planning to do today) and at a later stage find something is actually wrong, I have no recourse, unless the guys with ties are good and can link the symptoms to this accident.
But as some of you have said, maybe just harden up...If it becomes an issue later down the line i can deal with it then. Its hard when we dont have a crystal ball to rub  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:27:33 am by Lunatic »
BMW GS1200, KTM 950SM, Honda VTX1800, CRF450, YZ450F!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2017, 10:50:37 am »
Pm on the way, give me an hour.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline silvrav

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2017, 11:14:44 am »

Get cctv footage
Upload to youtube
Get millions of views and money from youtube  :deal:

Whilst not intended to defer the seriousness of the incident, nor condoning the actions of the contractor, I think your comment would be very different if you ever carried a 8.1 or 2.6.1 appointment, never mind a 16.1.

all was said tongue in cheek as no one got hurt.

I am currently appointed as 16.1

The contractor was clearly not willing to assist, this is clear. All the staff giving false statements of the events that happen and only after the CCTV confirmed his story did things happen.

Contractors in SA are not being held liable unless it attracts attention.

secondly, it happened in public, and as per the law if you in public domain, be expected to be filmed. Your permission is not needed. As long as he states the facts and have permission to use the CCTV footage he should be in the clear.

lastly as  Slainte said its more on the close call kind of videos that circulates youtube and gets millions of views.

Accepted silvrav.   :thumleft:

I do tend to over react a bit and take it too personal when there is a contractor involved.  The public perception towards our industry took a serious beating due to Compcom and our friend Wayne Duvenage also did us no favours with his Carte Blanche report, which is a debate the industry is not afforded to partake in.

Whilst some of us work very hard to change that perception, these incidents don't do us any favours. 

Anyway, however you wish to pursue this Lunatic, I'm grateful that you're here to tell the story, I wish you the best of luck and am sure that the outcome will be just.  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft: Wild dogs wont be wild dogs without a good debate :)

I am definitely not here to make a massive noise or expect a lotto payment, I just wanted advice as i have spoken to 3 different attorneys that all had a different approach.

The contractor has been really good and will reimburse me for the material damages from the accident, however it stated "full and final settlement".
After the accident with the post concussion I had a few days that felt like I had vertigo. Seriously wobbly especially in the morning, but the doctor said this would go away.

So if I accept full and final settlement(which I am planning to do today) and at a later stage find something is actually wrong, I have no recourse, unless the guys with ties are good and can link the symptoms to this accident.
But as some of you have said, maybe just harden up...If it becomes an issue later down the line i can deal with it then. Its hard when we dont have a crystal ball to rub  :thumleft:

See what Ktmkobus lets you know but i would remove the full and final settlement and explain to them why?

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2017, 11:51:10 am »

Reject the Full and Final Settlement part, or at least limit it to the items paid out. You have a solid case for your special damages and you don't need to negotiate on it.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2017, 04:07:54 pm »
 :o :o :o
It was just not your time!!!!!!

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »
Your medical expenses may be horrendous.

Do not accept a final payment, although I have been told that that is a meaningless term in situations where it is not possible to assess  future costs.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
Sounds like you should be H8rlequin's friend!  :imaposer: :pot:
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Quicker

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2017, 12:04:07 am »
NorrE fok!!

They refused to help you or get the site manager, only after cops arrived they assisted…

You got bliksemed on the head with rebar!..if that rebar penetrated instead of blikseming you we would have read some horror story of another deceased biker…

You could have been skewered…a few centimeters and Wham!another horror story of a deceased biker...

I would seriously get a good lawyer and nail their sorry asses!!

Dit is net te maklik om "die handjie te waai, en sorry te se" en alles is vergewe…

Hoekom het hulle so hard gedruk om die J88 uit te sort toe die site staan…want hulle verloor geld…punt!

IMHO, all is fair in love and war! You had to cage because of head trauma, emotional trauma, "netnou moer iets my weer oor die kop"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline landieman

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2017, 06:05:22 am »
holy shit ,you're one lucky fellow Bundu.you should play the lotto
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.