Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I dont have time to ride it...  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Omninorm

Re: I dont have time to ride it...
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2017, 10:19:20 am »
I don't ride my bike during the week and still manage on average 400 kms a weekend. We all need our own space and time . If you spend all your time looking after family and no time looking after yourself you will wake up one day and be a miserable person . Get up early on a Sunday and have a great ride and still be home by 11 am .
It also helps if your wife rides Horses cause they take up a lot of time .
When my kids had sports events I went to them on the bike .

I know its easier said than done but take a leaf out those Golfer mates. They gone for whole day !!! .They normally come back pissed cause they lost their balls or something but they go back every week .

+1  :thumleft:

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:52 am »
And I thought it was just me.........

Nee wat, daar is n tyd en n plek vir alles. Op die stadium staan hulle bietjie en rus, maar die tyd wat hulle sal hol kom aan :thumleft:

Net so Vaalbaas, toe ek my HP2 en my GSA verkoop het was dit n mislike tyd en werk kom eerste maar nou is die fietse betaal en daars tyd om te ry.

Maar ek sal n klip in die bos gooi en party wat se jy kan baie ry want jyt nie n maat of vrou nie imo is armer en nog hartseerder 8)

Elke ding op sy tyd.

Hy staan in die garage en wag vir my en so nou en dan vryf ek net so oor sy seat en ek kry klaar n smile as wat daar niks staan nie. :thumleft:
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:20 am »
Since my eldest went to varsity, I ride more than ever.
Mostly tar to visit him, but still beter than sitting in a car.
And with my youngest on his own bike, there's not much of an excuse needed to hit the road.
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2017, 04:08:41 pm »
Although I have more time to ride than most working stiffs, I don't often ride on weekdays. For reasons see previous page. But today was different.

I found time, money and motivation because out of the blue, the Missus asked to go for a ride!

Many moons has it been since she last occupied the pillion, because two knee replacements and a rebuilt ankle has robbed her of much feeling in her feet and she has trouble knowing when they are actually on the pegs. Anyway the 'O' in SWAMBO means obey, so we took a coastal route, with me being as smooth and well behaved as I could, dodging the many Iron Man athletes training on the route, and we got home with milady in a more exhilarated mood than she has for a while, declaring that she had enjoyed it tremendously.

Goes to show that I should suggest a midweek ride with her more often, and that I can actually ride like a civilised old gentleman when I try really hard!
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2017, 07:57:34 pm »
Fantastic Jaybiker!   :thumleft:
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2017, 01:44:48 pm »
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline 4 stroke freak

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • enjoy every moment.
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2017, 11:17:07 pm »
If I don't get time to ride on weekends which happens often enough I try to go for 1 or 2 ten to fifteen minutes rides in the week quickly after work. Dirt roads are 5 km s away from home so it's a bonus. Even if it's not a long ride it just satisfies the craving or takes away that insatiable  itch.and that's my way of coping with the no time to ride problem. At least it's collecting dust in that way. Maybe I'm the only one doing that sort of thing....but hey. Whatever blows my hair back.

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2017, 11:25:48 pm »
Same problem here. In my 7.5 bike garage and a few spare parts only 4 of the bikes are rideable at the moment. The kickstarter 650 is last on the list for obvious geriatric reasons in operating a mechanical device of great height on a cross slope on some snotty hill. Need to streamline here and make a plan. None of the bikes are worth more than R50K but most of them are worth around that. Less bikes = more space in the garage and an opportunity to add to the stable. First need to go Less is More...

Offline JFE

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2017, 07:10:35 am »
I have had a philosophy all my live, rather have a bike in the garage just standing there doing nothing and have it when I need it than not having one at all. Not riding as I use to or would like to but when that urge comes on I connot look at another guy in envy as he rides past.

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2017, 07:38:02 am »
The real problem lies with people not owning the right bikes for them.

If I had a GS1200 in my garage, I would also not feel like riding.

Overlooking the BMW jab, this is a real problem, a motorcycle, unlike your family saloon, should really make you feel like a youngster, wanting to ride more than anything else.

Once a bike make you feel like that, you'll be surprised to see how much time you can "make".

Offline Ali

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 07:38:57 am »
I have had a philosophy all my live, rather have a bike in the garage just standing there doing nothing and have it when I need it than not having one at all. Not riding as I use to or would like to but when that urge comes on I connot look at another guy in envy as he rides past.

+1000

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 12:32:20 pm »
I can understand it.

in my case I have to drop of kids on the way to work. So there is no commuting with the bike anymore.

Then weekends you also have to give time to mommy and the kids, mowing the lawn or washing the cars or hosting friends and family. So in the end I am happy if I can get out for a 6hr ride once a month.
To work with this I try to trailer the bike whenever we go to family which can help my wife with the kids and thus allow me time away. The home trips I now also tend to get up earlier and ride harder/further when I do get the opportunity. I also do ironbutt rides which is the only way to properly see the country in limited time. And the last thing I did was to sell the GS and get a KTM. There is less multi-day rides so get a bike more suited for the fun rather than the comfort factor :)

So did you solve your issue about doing outrides? I can't remember where you posted it....
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 12:33:38 pm »

Overlooking the BMW jab, this is a real problem, a motorcycle, unlike your family saloon, should really make you feel like a youngster, wanting to ride more than anything else.

Once a bike make you feel like that, you'll be surprised to see how much time you can "make".

I think there is also the problem of guys having bikes for their ego's rather than riding pleasure as well.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 12:55:36 pm »
I haven't ridden recreationally since December. Plus I'm injured so probably won't ride for the next 2 months either. By then it's winter and nobody wants to ride in the cold. After that the rainy season starts. Maybe I should sell my bikes too  :biggrin:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline K-9

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 12:58:28 pm »
I have a GS800 sitting in my garage, I have not ridden it in over a year.  It was bought to play and take to work (so my GSA does not sit outside near the beach).

But I do ride the GSA LC often.

And far too many 4x4's, one for each day of the week.  I have a 2.7i hilux for sale any takers. That will leave Sunday for the bike. wait; that's 1200 day, so will need to sell another 4x4 and the Audi.

life's too short.  TIMEs too short!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:59:41 pm by K-9 »
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 01:19:57 pm »
I can understand it.

in my case I have to drop of kids on the way to work. So there is no commuting with the bike anymore.

Then weekends you also have to give time to mommy and the kids, mowing the lawn or washing the cars or hosting friends and family. So in the end I am happy if I can get out for a 6hr ride once a month.
To work with this I try to trailer the bike whenever we go to family which can help my wife with the kids and thus allow me time away. The home trips I now also tend to get up earlier and ride harder/further when I do get the opportunity. I also do ironbutt rides which is the only way to properly see the country in limited time. And the last thing I did was to sell the GS and get a KTM. There is less multi-day rides so get a bike more suited for the fun rather than the comfort factor :)

So did you solve your issue about doing outrides? I can't remember where you posted it....

Nah I use the procedure explained. I am going on a gravel ironbutt ride this weekend which is good, but then my riding quota is up again for a few weeks. It does seem possible that I will get 4 days for a decent trip in August. So planning far in advance and grabbing the arm when offered the pinkie is basically what I do. doing about 8k km a year on the bike, max.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Catchy

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21:32 pm »
My CRF1000L just turned 1 year old and has recantly clicked over 16000km.  :peepwall:
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »

I think there is also the problem of guys having bikes for their ego's rather than riding pleasure as well.

Very real problem this, especially where I live. It does not help having a lifestyle centre so close. Damn Donford's. :peepwall:

Offline Toors

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2017, 04:38:00 am »
all these guys who dont have time to ride, can give their bikes to those of us who have the time, but cant afford the toys....
problem solved.....
PS, I'm one of the latter,

It's called "bikezumanisism".  Take from the bike haves and give to the bike have nots. For a "handshake"  I can facilitate....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:43:12 am by Toors »
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:20 am »
all these guys who dont have time to ride, can give their bikes to those of us who have the time, but cant afford the toys....
problem solved.....
PS, I'm one of the latter,

It's called "bikezumanisism".  Take from the bike haves and give to the bike have nots. For a "handshake"  I can facilitate....
I have better idea, the guys that have bikes standing must swop with the guys with hi-mileage bikes as it is better for them to stand.
First dibs. :peepwall: :ricky:
Dakar 650
SR 500