Witteberge road now has locked gates possibly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Copied from the BMW site, be a pity if this is true.

"Has anyone ridden the Witteberge route recently? The P1469, near Laingsburg/Touwsrivier.

We were staying at Zandrivier farm just outside in the Sewewekespoort and when I said we were planning on taking that road through to Touwsrivier, the owner Ben Jewaskiewitz  told us that one of the farmers had locked the gates on the through road. 

Ben was pretty adamant. My fellow traveller had a tiny fuel tank and I didn't want to take the risk on a reasonably tight schedule, so we ducked down the N1 and took the gravel route the other side from Matjiesfontein instead. 

I know the route through from Anysberg to the Witteberge has been closed of for several years; but this is the first I've heard of the main route being closed."

A few years ago we stayed at the Witteberg Reserve itself and were asked to please make sure that the gate towards Touwsriver got closed.

Frik mentioned it specifically because apparently there had been a few recent cases of the traveling public leaving it open.

It is also one of the few gates I have come across where there are generally quite a few animals around, so we actully waited as a group until we were all there before passing through, and obviously making sure the gate was closed.

Perhaps the farmers and nature reserve owners have together decided they have had enough.