Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fuel leak  (Read 677 times)

Offline Jayson Hill

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Fuel leak
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:21:52 pm »
Hi Chaps

I have been smelling fuel during rides on my bike, this afternoon i removed the fairing at the rear and the seat and can clearly see its coming from some where around the rear or right hand side of the tank, a inspection of the hoses all seems fine, well what i can actually see. I do always fill my bike until i can see the fuel, perhaps i am over filling it, but how else would you know when you have a full tank if you dont fill until you see the fuel? It does not leak at all when the bike is stationary...seems to only happen when im giving it the beans and bouncing around. Any suggestions?

On an unrelated noted i flipped the power mode switch for the 1st time in the bush last night, sweet lord it felt great, presumably its not ideal to run with it it that mode for to long?

Thanks in advance!

Jayson

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »
I have had similar problem, had it 'fixed' mine was a BIT more complicated, since I had an additional (rear = Safari tank), but the overflow did seem to be under the seat!

In high power mode, and 'goooiiiing it', in theory the valves should be checked every 10 hours.

By comparison, CCM in the UK, who use the identical BMW 450 plant in their CCM GP 450, they have a 5000 m-i-l-e service interval in low-power mode, which equate to my own 8000 k-m service interval, in LOW power mode.

Just the oil, remember just 1000ml of oil volume, so I was changing oil every 2000km, but now realize I can get 4000km safely between oil changes.
Cheers, and let us know about your overflow issue resolution.
Chris
DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
NICKY 021 510 6455            service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455             web@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455           sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
WERNER 021 510 6455   orders@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                    067 278 1893

Offline Jayson Hill

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:32:44 pm »
Thanks Chris! Good to know re the service intervals! I still have that ignition key if you want it, have since repaired my steering lock so will not be using it any longer, still new to!

I think i will stay away from the high power mode for now, to much fun!

Will pay around with it  abit more this evening and see if i cant trace the leak.

Offline jharmse

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:37:48 pm »
Jayson
How does the ignition switch work? Sorry to hack your post, I'm thinking of fitting one.

Regards
Johan

Offline Jayson Hill

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:46 pm »
Hay bud, it needs to be wired in. Its simply a switch with a key and a harness that would need to be connected up i assume. It came separate with my bike but i decided to have the steering lock fixed instead. Had to drill this out and take it to a locksmith as i never had the key for it.

Offline jharmse

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:19:14 pm »
Jayson was this switch ment for a G450X? Is there a specific place where one could fit the hardware?

Regards

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 09:44:19 am »
Hi Chaps

I have been smelling fuel during rides on my bike, this afternoon i removed the fairing at the rear and the seat and can clearly see its coming from some where around the rear or right hand side of the tank, a inspection of the hoses all seems fine, well what i can actually see. I do always fill my bike until i can see the fuel, perhaps i am over filling it, but how else would you know when you have a full tank if you dont fill until you see the fuel? It does not leak at all when the bike is stationary...seems to only happen when im giving it the beans and bouncing around. Any suggestions?

On an unrelated noted i flipped the power mode switch for the 1st time in the bush last night, sweet lord it felt great, presumably its not ideal to run with it it that mode for to long?

Thanks in advance!

Jayson

And there I was looking all over my bike, last night after we got back from the ride thinking it must my mine leaking the fuel since I could smell some fuel in my garage. I then saw the petrol attendant did spill a bit on the side of the fairing but wasn't sure.

Was a fantastic ride though. Hope you come right soon!
Let me know if you need help.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.