Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed anyone want to join me  (Read 3879 times)

Offline GazGaz

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed anyone want to join me
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:05:09 pm »
Hi guys, so I am taking the plunge and wanting to go through africa, 10 countries duration about 2 months leaving end of September so travelling October/November time.I will be riding my S10 and will be traveling on a budget so will be camping everwhere and maybe a cheap lodge now and again so will be roughing it. I am doing the research and the main things I am wondering about is the maps, insurance, visas, carnet, budgeting per day(fuel/food/Accom/border fees/currency).  ???

Ok so here is the list of countries I will be traveling throught, this is in the direction of where I want to go and alter it for dirt on the final route.

Durban to plet visit family.
Plet to CPT.
CPT thru cedar to Windhoek(nambia)
Windhoek to Maun (bots)
Maun to vic falls
Vic falls to lusaka (zambia)
Lusaka to kasama(zambia)
Kasama to mpanda (Tanzania)
Mpanda to muzani (Tanzania)
Muzani to kigali (rwanda)
Kigali to KaBali  (Uganda)
Kabali to Kampala (Uganda)
Kampala to nairobi (Kenya)
Nairobi to mombasa  (Kenya)
Mombasa to da es salaam  (Tanzania)
Da es salaam to mbeya  (Tanzania)
Mbeya to silma  (malawi)
From silma had 2 ideas head south to North Mozambique at zobue head to tete thru to Zimbabwe east side down to Beitbridge.not sure on how safe it is astill I heard civil unrest there.
Or...
North to Mozambique head down to Maputo and then cross over into Swaziland then to durban.

What you think...?

Mapse: using GPS or paper maps which is best or is both a good idea?

Travel insurance: So I heard that most borders require you to buy third party insurance. Is there a insurance/medical I can get for that time travelling?

Carnet: I have checked out the AA and there are 5 countries that I know I need a carnet at R2000 per country it adds up. Do I need to get a carnet or should I risk it and go without one?

Fuel: budget at R300 a day (300-400km per tank) estimated 12000-14000km will take reserve fuel canistersystem

Food: budget a day R100?

Accom: budget a day very small as well be camping R60

Border fees: 11 borders R300?

Currency: most use dollars, but can I use Rand aswell?

Total budget per day: R500 ?

So any advice you can give and if my estimates are to low/high please comment. If they is anything else I should know let me know.

If anybody would like to join they are welcome.  :ricky:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:13:17 pm by GazGaz »
Will go where the road takes me

Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:16:13 pm »
Hi GazGaz,

For Botswana:
If you're in Maun, I might be able to help you out with accommodation, mahala.
Currency is Pula.
They don't take Rand at the border (you have buy like a third party insurance thingy), so make sure you have Pula (it isn't more than P250 if memory serves correctly).

Petrol at the moment is P7.5-8.0/litre, so not too bad.
Food budget, depends on you. In Botswana, I got a lekker breakfast roll + bottle of water for the grand total of P15.

Happy planning!  :ricky:

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:38:37 pm »
Hi GazGaz,

For Botswana:
If you're in Maun, I might be able to help you out with accommodation, mahala.
Currency is Pula.
They don't take Rand at the border (you have buy like a third party insurance thingy), so make sure you have Pula (it isn't more than P250 if memory serves correctly).

Petrol at the moment is P7.5-8.0/litre, so not too bad.
Food budget, depends on you. In Botswana, I got a lekker breakfast roll + bottle of water for the grand total of P15.

Happy planning!  :ricky:

Hi, I am planning on going to Maun that would be great, those prices are really good. It helps to have this inside info so that my budget can go down a bit :thumleft: But might save some there but pay more in other areas.

Offline Vansafrica

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »
Hi Gazgaz,

1. I used Garmin Africa. Worked better than T4A, but T4A has a lot of camping grounds listed. I however have a massive file with GPS locations for camping. I need to get it to you somehow. I received from many travelers.

2. Use World Nomads for Travel insurance. Online and well represented across the world but most importantly covers travelers on motorcycles.

3. Fuel is cheap in Africa R7-10 a liter. Your average speed will always be low so fuel consumption will be great.

4. R100 a day is more than enough. This excludes Beer however. :)

5. Camping will be between R20-100 per night, but work in a few nights in a small hotel with A/C. Its really humid up there and you want to take a break and sleep properly every few days. Hotels are R150 p/n with A/C

6. Border fees are cheap. Zim being the most expensive ($70 i think). But as far as I recall you wont pay anything in most countries on your list.

7. Take US Dollars but only for emergencies. I recon 500us as most. There are ATM's everywhere. Download a conversion app on your phone so that the guys dont screw you when exchanging. Its easy to drop a zero when exchanging money.

8. Your budget is good at R500 per day. I did it on R400 p/d and stayed in a few hotels along the way and drank beer everyday more than once.

Check my website www.vansafrica.com or my mates website http://www.2wherever.co.za

Good info there. Most difficult part will be to start your trip. 

Also I dont see Uganda and Rwanda on your list. Cut out time somewhere and dont miss these 2!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:22:37 pm by Vansafrica »
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:47:26 pm »
Hi Vansafrica, thanks that is great info and exactly what I am looking for in response. I will definitely look into Uganda and Rwanda will check with the AA in terms of carnet prices. Will send you a pm with my email you can send memail that file thanks  :thumleft:

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
Get your international driver's license from AA also, for if you dont know this you are going to need your bikes reg papers so take them with
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm

Offline Vansafrica

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
Hi Vansafrica, thanks that is great info and exactly what I am looking for in response. I will definitely look into Uganda and Rwanda will check with the AA in terms of carnet prices. Will send you a pm with my email you can send memail that file thanks  :thumleft:

You don't need a Carnet for any of these countries. Only Egypt. Sudan easier with Carnet but not necessary.
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:56 am »

You don't need a Carnet for any of these countries. Only Egypt. Sudan easier with Carnet but not necessary.

Perfect thanks

Offline GazGaz

Re: Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed anyone want to join me
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 08:05:47 am »
I need to take my bike documents with, now if my bike is on finance I won't have the originals add they with the bank. How do I go about getting bike docs that other countries will accept?

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 10:24:56 am »
Get certified copies

Sent from my techno 6 Chinese upgrade

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:18 am »
Get certified copies

I take it in need to contact the bank to get then to do it?

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 11:36:57 am »
If they have the originals then yes. Wont hurt to get a letter from them as the owners giving permission to cross borders. Here in Tz when5 we travel across borders we have to submit original papers and travel with certified copies. Nobody has ever asked for them though best to be safe. Also get a Comesa insurance card indicating countries you will be visiting,  relatively cheap, to cover any 3rd party insurances that the various customs thieves will insist on. Lay once in RSA. Zims will insist on carbon tax though. Also stops you getting ripped off by "agents".
NEVER change money with border smouses. Wait till you get to an atm. Exchange is better. Get your cards cleared for travel while you at the bank. Keep a few dollars stashed for emergency. Low denomination up to zambia then 50's and 100's further north.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 11:42:29 am »
If they have the originals then yes. Wont hurt to get a letter from them as the owners giving permission to cross borders. Here in Tz when5 we travel across borders we have to submit original papers and travel with certified copies. Nobody has ever asked for them though best to be safe. Also get a Comesa insurance card indicating countries you will be visiting,  relatively cheap, to cover any 3rd party insurances that the various customs thieves will insist on. Lay once in RSA. Zims will insist on carbon tax though. Also stops you getting ripped off by "agents".
NEVER change money with border smouses. Wait till you get to an atm. Exchange is better. Get your cards cleared for travel while you at the bank. Keep a few dollars stashed for emergency. Low denomination up to zambia then 50's and 100's further north.

Thanks, I don't have the originals they with Wesbank. Will contact nomads for insurance before leaving where can I get a Comesa insurance card or will the insurance company issue one?

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 11:54:50 am »
Comesa is s replacment for all the 3rd party fees each country demands, so should be available at your insurance company.
Just checking your earlier posts re budget. Double it and you'll be fine. Africa is expensive although you can live cheap by eating local and staying in local guest houses, BUT, you get what you pay for. Budget for fuel about $1/lt  and you'll be fine. Don't always fall for the tourist book BS and end up at most expensive place just because they reckon the beach looks great or the chicks are easy.
Most places local beer is less than $1.
Don't be put off but be wary, and use the contacts people give you.
Enjoy. Plenty have!😁

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 12:01:06 pm »
You might need tyres by the time you get to Kenya, contact Shivam on whatsapp @ +254 736969696 he has a good range though not cheap. Ask about other spares too, he may be able to assist. If you need contacts in Kenya or Tanzania let me know.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 12:13:40 pm »
Comesa is s replacment for all the 3rd party fees each country demands, so should be available at your insurance company.
Just checking your earlier posts re budget. Double it and you'll be fine. Africa is expensive although you can live cheap by eating local and staying in local guest houses, BUT, you get what you pay for. Budget for fuel about $1/lt  and you'll be fine. Don't always fall for the tourist book BS and end up at most expensive place just because they reckon the beach looks great or the chicks are easy.
Most places local beer is less than $1.
Don't be put off but be wary, and use the contacts people give you.
Enjoy. Plenty have!😁

Thanks for advise, I will be camping and roughing it and spend every now and again at a lodge ect. I have got extra on my budget. I will be getting a list of camp sites and places from Vansafrica. At the moment just putting down on my list if things I will need and places I won't to visit in each country. I have a rough idea of the route and will finalize it once I include spots I want to see. I was going to sell my S10 and buy a smaller bike but now changed my mind. I know what my bike is capable of and done some heavy riding with it and feel confident in taking it thru africa. Obviously sand is the only concern but will take it easy in those conditions but then again it's why I am going to experience everything africa had to offer.

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 12:22:25 pm »
You might need tyres by the time you get to Kenya, contact Shivam on whatsapp @ +254 736969696 he has a good range though not cheap. Ask about other spares too, he may be able to assist. If you need contacts in Kenya or Tanzania let me know.

I currently run E07 front E10 rear, great combo and milage. But considering nobblies for the rear for better grip and taking a spare rear with.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 12:26:40 pm »
Any idea of your route?

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 12:27:57 pm »
 :sip: For tyres look into Heideneus, never had a flat, very strong, and I get up to 19000 km on them and a lot more on the front. Also look into a water purifying pump/unit.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 12:48:44 pm »
:sip: For tyres look into Heideneus, never had a flat, very strong, and I get up to 19000 km on them and a lot more on the front. Also look into a water purifying pump/unit.

Well be using trying out water tablet's to see water it tastes like. I don't like Heideneus as that middle strip does not give get grip.