Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed anyone want to join me  (Read 3760 times)

Offline GazGaz

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed anyone want to join me
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »
Any idea of your route?

Sent from my techno 6 Chinese upgrade

I need to change the first post. As it stands here is the route will be taking main roads in the direction of where I want to go and alter it for dirt on the final route.

Durban to plet visit family.
Plet to CPT.
CPT thru cedar to Windhoek(nambia)
Windhoek to Maun (bots)
Maun to vic falls
Vic falls to lusaka (zambia)
Lusaka to kasama(zambia)
Kasama to mpanda (Tanzania)
Mpanda to muzani (Tanzania)
Muzani to kigali (rwanda)
Kigali to KaBali  (Uganda)
Kabali to Kampala (Uganda)
Kampala to nairobi (Kenya)
Nairobi to mombasa  (Kenya)
Mombasa to da es salaam  (Tanzania)
Da es salaam to mbeya  (Tanzania)
Mbeya to silma  (malawi)
From silma had 2 ideas head south to North Mozambique at zobue head to tete thru to Zimbabwe east side down to Beitbridge.not sure on how safe it is astill I heard civil unrest there.
Or...
North to Mozambique head down to Maputo and then cross over into Swaziland then to durban.

What you think...?
Will go where the road takes me

Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline durtseeker

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Strand
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 06:54:33 pm »
I would like to join this trip but the timing is off by 6 months for me.

I'm planning almost the same trip but want to go all the way up to Europe.
Also can ontly go next year so Feb will be my departure date.

Thanks for all the info i can get from this thread.  :thumleft: :thumleft:
"fall with pride because scars are just physical proof
of a memory filled with guts and glory"

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 06:58:23 pm »
I would like to join this trip but the timing is off by 6 months for me.

I'm planning almost the same trip but want to go all the way up to Europe.
Also can ontly go next year so Feb will be my departure date.

Thanks for all the info i can get from this thread.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

No problem, timing is always difficult for everyone if you change your mind let me know. I will start a thread in planning a ride in a month or so time with all the details I have gathered for anyone interest

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 08:10:18 am »
Any idea of your route?

I need to change the first post. As it stands here is the route will be taking main roads in the direction of where I want to go and alter it for dirt on the final route.

Durban to plet visit family.
Plet to CPT.
CPT thru cedar to Windhoek(nambia)
Windhoek to Maun (bots)
Maun to vic falls
Vic falls to lusaka (zambia)
Lusaka to kasama(zambia)
Kasama to mpanda (Tanzania)
Mpanda to muzani (Tanzania)
Muzani to kigali (rwanda)
Kigali to KaBali  (Uganda)
Kabali to Kampala (Uganda)
Kampala to nairobi (Kenya)
Nairobi to mombasa  (Kenya)
Mombasa to da es salaam  (Tanzania)
Da es salaam to mbeya  (Tanzania)
Mbeya to silma  (malawi)
From silma had 2 ideas head south to North Mozambique at zobue head to tete thru to Zimbabwe east side down to Beitbridge.not sure on how safe it is astill I heard civil unrest there.
Or...
North to Mozambique head down to Maputo and then cross over into Swaziland then to durban.

What you think...?
Your route looks like mainly tar stretches so i would say bias your tyres towards tar and less offroad so as to get better milage. You can do gravel no sweat with slicks if need be, just deflate enough. If you see where the local riders get to and with crazy loads
 on the chinese bikes with road tyres and pumped over 2 bar, then no worries.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:31 am »
Before I finalize the route I will add in the dirt tracks. Just need to do more research on the areas and roads

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 12:58:43 pm »
Before I finalize the route I will add in the dirt tracks. Just need to do more research on the areas and roads
I would say don't overdo the route planning. Know where you want to get to and then take some detours to get there otherwise you end up missing so much. I've never worried too much about security, people are generally hospitable, it's governments you have to watch out for .
Having said that it's always a good idea to  announce yourself to the local village head if you camping rough and close to the village. You don't need to be woken in the middle of the night and being accused of spying or whatever.
Again I say, keep it casual and you'll be fine.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 09:39:01 am »
Thanks good advise

Offline Karambisi

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 01:56:10 pm »
Hi GazGaz, just read through this post and everything Steve in dar says is pretty much perfect. I live and work at a beach lodge in near Tanga northern Tz, so if you need a bed there you are welcome (on me!). I have just done a run down to SA from here and would say go via Moz, whether south from dar via Ruvuma or Malawi (I did Malawi route). There are no issues at all in Moz security wise, and being on a bike was only stopped briefly twice by police in Moz, both nearer to SA, where they obviously get more for their time on the road..... Any up to date info about travel in Moz is easily gotten from DriveMoz which you can join and good travel info is freely given by members. I would use E07 for sheer milage,.. don't preplan too much, half the fun is going where locals send you along your general travel direction. No need for Int drivers licence or carnet anywhere you want to go, I have traveled these countries without either. Make copies of all docs and certify some, otherwise just wing it. Borders can be tedious but try and do it all yourself without touts, who WILL take you for a ride! (especially ones with fake ID's, often wearing yellow safety vests and wondering around the parking area... most officers are in uniform and inside) Basically - passport stamp, customs TIP, Insurance and possibly some irritating taxes like carbon tax in some places. Good luck!

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
Hi GazGaz, just read through this post and everything Steve in dar says is pretty much perfect. I live and work at a beach lodge in near Tanga northern Tz, so if you need a bed there you are welcome (on me!). I have just done a run down to SA from here and would say go via Moz, whether south from dar via Ruvuma or Malawi (I did Malawi route). There are no issues at all in Moz security wise, and being on a bike was only stopped briefly twice by police in Moz, both nearer to SA, where they obviously get more for their time on the road..... Any up to date info about travel in Moz is easily gotten from DriveMoz which you can join and good travel info is freely given by members. I would use E07 for sheer milage,.. don't preplan too much, half the fun is going where locals send you along your general travel direction. No need for Int drivers licence or carnet anywhere you want to go, I have traveled these countries without either. Make copies of all docs and certify some, otherwise just wing it. Borders can be tedious but try and do it all yourself without touts, who WILL take you for a ride! (especially ones with fake ID's, often wearing yellow safety vests and wondering around the parking area... most officers are in uniform and inside) Basically - passport stamp, customs TIP, Insurance and possibly some irritating taxes like carbon tax in some places. Good luck!

Great thanks, I would appreciate that alot. I wil be coming past that way in my way down. Tell me with regards to Internet and mobile phone usage in the sounds countries what would be your advise on that?

Offline Vansafrica

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »
Gaz,

The papers shouldn't be a problem. I never got asked for papers through 32 countries. Even if it says Wesbank they dont know and if you hang around long enough they get bored with you in anyways or wait for shift change.

You can buy clean water everywhere. Tablets will be fine for the odd river.

You can buy sim cards at every border and enjoy 3G almost everywhere at a fraction of SA prices.

ITO tyres. Put a knobbly in the front and road orientated rear like Anakee 3 or something. Will last your whole trip. TKC 80 in the front last forever. Got 25K km out of mine. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:29:20 pm by Vansafrica »
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
Gaz,

The papers shouldn't be a problem. I never got asked for papers through 32 countries. Even if it says Wesbank they dont know and if you hang around long enough they get bored with you in anyways or wait for shift change.

You can buy sim cards at every border and enjoy 3G almost everywhere at a fraction of SA prices.

ITO tyres. Put a knobbly in the front and road orientated rear like Anakee 3 or something. Will last your whole trip. TKC 80 in the front last forever. Got 25K km out of mine.

Hey Van,

I will be taking copy of reg papers with just in case you never know right. Thanks on the Sim card advise. I have E07 on my rear at the moment and very happy with it. I will get the tkc80 for the front as my E10 front wears down quickly.  I will change tyres in CPT before heading up to nambia.

Offline Vansafrica

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »
Gaz,

Hey Van,

I will be taking copy of reg papers with just in case you never know right. Thanks on the Sim card advise. I have E07 on my rear at the moment and very happy with it. I will get the tkc80 for the front as my E10 front wears down quickly.  I will change tyres in CPT before heading up to nambia.

Jungle Junction always has decent second hand tyres lying around just in case. Dont travel with a spare any one of us can courier a set of tyres or parts wherever you are. I bought expensive spare parts to carry with and never used them.

Also carrying tyres with is a pain in the arse takes up to much space. Travel light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 01:31:55 pm »
Gaz,

Hey Van,

Jungle Junction always has decent second hand tyres lying around just in case. Dont travel with a spare any one of us can courier a set of tyres or parts wherever you are. I bought expensive spare parts to carry with and never used them.

Also carrying tyres with is a pain in the arse takes up to much space. Travel light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tyres will be due for a change when I leave so works out just fine, but if I find a second good Condition tyre that will do the job I won't say no. You right don't want the extra weight. I am getting S10 serviced and looked at all over and at everything before I go.  I will get a list of things for the girlfriend so that if I need her to contact anyone here for me she can arrange it and send it thru.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »
Already sounds like too much planing...

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 05:52:26 pm »
Already sounds like too much planing...

Not to much planning just making sure I cover everything

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 07:38:38 am »
Just winding you up boet, there be dragons out thar!

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:48 am »
Just winding you up boet, there be dragons out thar!

Hahaha I don't take things personally :thumleft:

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 07:46:05 am »
What are your travel dates, like to know where I am then. I have a trip south planned end of June or thereabouts.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline GazGaz

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 12:30:24 pm »
What are your travel dates, like to know where I am then. I have a trip south planned end of June or thereabouts.

Planning on leaving durban 25 September make my way down to Knysna stay there for the week. Then down to CPT leave there on 2nd or 3rd to nambia

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »
Sounds good, before the rains and not too hot, although 'hot' is relative. Coastal areas starting to steam by then.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!