Africa Trip 10 countries Info needed anyone want to join me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazGaz

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi guys, so I am taking the plunge and wanting to go through africa, 10 countries duration about 2 months leaving end of September so travelling October/November time.I will be riding my S10 and will be traveling on a budget so will be camping everwhere and maybe a cheap lodge now and again so will be roughing it. I am doing the research and the main things I am wondering about is the maps, insurance, visas, carnet, budgeting per day(fuel/food/Accom/border fees/currency).  ???

Ok so here is the list of countries I will be traveling throught, this is in the direction of where I want to go and alter it for dirt on the final route.

Durban to plet visit family.
Plet to CPT.
CPT thru cedar to Windhoek(nambia)
Windhoek to Maun (bots)
Maun to vic falls
Vic falls to lusaka (zambia)
Lusaka to kasama(zambia)
Kasama to mpanda (Tanzania)
Mpanda to muzani (Tanzania)
Muzani to kigali (rwanda)
Kigali to KaBali  (Uganda)
Kabali to Kampala (Uganda)
Kampala to nairobi (Kenya)
Nairobi to mombasa  (Kenya)
Mombasa to da es salaam  (Tanzania)
Da es salaam to mbeya  (Tanzania)
Mbeya to silma  (malawi)
From silma had 2 ideas head south to North Mozambique at zobue head to tete thru to Zimbabwe east side down to Beitbridge.not sure on how safe it is astill I heard civil unrest there.
Or...
North to Mozambique head down to Maputo and then cross over into Swaziland then to durban.

What you think...?

Mapse: using GPS or paper maps which is best or is both a good idea?

Travel insurance: So I heard that most borders require you to buy third party insurance. Is there a insurance/medical I can get for that time travelling?

Carnet: I have checked out the AA and there are 5 countries that I know I need a carnet at R2000 per country it adds up. Do I need to get a carnet or should I risk it and go without one?

Fuel: budget at R300 a day (300-400km per tank) estimated 12000-14000km will take reserve fuel canistersystem

Food: budget a day R100?

Accom: budget a day very small as well be camping R60

Border fees: 11 borders R300?

Currency: most use dollars, but can I use Rand aswell?

Total budget per day: R500 ?

So any advice you can give and if my estimates are to low/high please comment. If they is anything else I should know let me know.

If anybody would like to join they are welcome.  :ricky: