Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Suspension upgrade CRF 1000 L  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
Suspension upgrade CRF 1000 L
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:08:40 pm »
Has anybody done a suspension upgrade to there Africa Twin?
I have just ordered the Hyper-pro progressive front springs form Honda Bloemfontein.
I weigh 90kg and find that when I jump my bike it often bottoms out,  my suspension is set just below HARD.

A friend of mine ( he weighs 125kg's) has had his front and rear suspension done ( Hyper-pro )last week and he is extremely happy.

BTW,  you get a spring set for 80 to 120kg and then a heavier duty set for 120kg's +

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:28:35 pm by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline JonnyP

• Race Dog
Re: Suspension upgrade CRF 1000 L
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »
I will be watching this space.
 :sip:

Offline Catchy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:41 am »
So Losper, have you done the upgrade ? What are your thoughts please. Did you simply swop out the springs and oil or did you do some valve work ?

I have also just pulled the forks and shock and having the Hyper Pro 20mm lift kit fitted today. You mentioned two different spring rates from Hyperpro, but when I contacted the factory I was told that they only have a standard height and the 20mm lift springs that are stiffer than stock ?

Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:19:05 am »
I'm probably wrong but surely 90kg is within the normal weight range for an adventure bike, which is designed to carry 2? I would have thought it was more a valving issue - and that kind of riding just overwhelms a pretty basic suspension system designed for 'normal' riding conditions. I believe KTM are addressing exactly this kind of situation in the changes from 1190R to 1090R.

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:30 pm »
Catchy,  I got the info from my Honda dealer ( looks like not accurate info ) 

Please explain what exactly is the "Lift kit"? is it longer springs or just an extra extension piece? Is this for the rear or front setup or both?

I have only ordered the progressive front springs (still waiting for it), so it will only be a replacement of front springs and oil.  It might be worth my while to get it re-valved at a later stage as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:26:55 pm by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Catchy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:35:45 pm »
Catchy,  I got the info from my Honda dealer ( looks like not accurate info ) 

Please explain what exactly is the "Lift kit"? is it longer springs or just an extra extension piece? Is this for the rear or front setup or both?

I have only ordered the progressive front springs (still waiting for it), so it will only be a replacement of front springs and oil.  It might be worth my while to get it re-valved at a later stage as well.

According to Hyperpro their lift kit will raise the bike by 20mm due to the replacement springs (font and rear ) being slightly longer and stiffer.
I might also go the re-valving route if I feel the current setup cant cope with the dampening. Should be putting everything back together tonight. :thumleft:
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline Old Man

• Puppy
  • time, sweat and distance breads experience!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:15 pm »
I wonder if it will be possible to change only the rear suspension. So far I have been 'happy' with the front end but the rear is too soft for my riding.
Honda Africa Twin (2016); BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold;

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:48 am »
I wonder if it will be possible to change only the rear suspension. So far I have been 'happy' with the front end but the rear is too soft for my riding.
Yes it is possible,  I had only my front done.

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 10:05:51 pm »
The progressive front spring upgrade is by far the best "farkle" I have done to my bike.
Makes a huge difference to the handling.