Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2011 KTM 690 R Known Problems  (Read 420 times)

Offline Rossdog

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
2011 KTM 690 R Known Problems
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:32:34 am »
I've just bought a 2011 KTM 690 R. I've read in several article/discussions that the 2011 model was proe to mechanical and electrical problems, but none of the discussions went into specifics.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues, and are there any preventative measures I can take to ensure reliability?

I specifically chose the 2011 690R because of the suspension, as if I understand correctly, the suspension was lowered in 2012.
'69 Model.

Online Buff

Re: 2011 KTM 690 R Known Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:04:23 am »
Congrats on the purchase Ross. If you ever need to know anything about a 690 then drop GJ a PM, he's seen and experienced it all with these bikes.

Rocker Arms breaking and the Fuel pump are two I know of.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:00 am »
Thanks Buff. I'll drop him a PM sometime.

I remember you have/had a 690. What was your experience?
'69 Model.

Online Buff

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:47:28 pm »
I still have mine but itís the newer model (2014) and I really love my bike. More so than any I've ever owned before to be honest, including my current bikes. However, they do tend to be a bit temperamental sometimes, a bit like shagging a super model, thereís great days and bad days  ;)

The flickers on all 690ís are shit, replace them with flush mounts or LEDS immediatelyÖ yours are probably done already (mine are getting done next week).
The front light on the older ones is apparently as bright as a candle, some guys fit aftermarket units.
The Air Box is the biggest load of cheap plastic shit ever designed, buy a Rally Raid filter if you can find one (normal foam like a dirt bike).
The clocks tend to pack up due to water (mine hasnít yet).
The clutch is prone to slipping if you ride it like an enduro bikes clutch (mine hasnít yet).
I've probably missed a few things here as well.

As far as suspension goes, yours is apparently awesome. I ride too crap to know the difference so mine works for me  :-[ :thumleft:

Almost everything I know about these bikes has mostly been learnt from GJ and my limited experienced. We used a fleet of them at this years Cape Epic and in one afternoon he replaced one bikes clutch and the other bikes fuel filter (both with aftermarket units) all in the shade of an old oak tree  ;D
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »
remember the fridge magnet on the side stand safety and the 3 wire pickup. I don't know who thinks this stuff up!
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:40 pm »
My biggest failure was a regulator rectifier.  Caused havoc with everything.  Replaced with a Mosfet RR.  That also cured the stalling issue.  Also had 2 fuel pumps fail. Lost a head gasket after the radiator cap failed open during the last stage of the 2015 Amageza.  Ran like that for 800km.  Head was not even warped.  Other than the rockers and the stupid cam chain tensioner, the engine is completely over engineered in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:23:48 am by Bill the Bong »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:57:52 pm »
Mine has 44000kms on and still no oil use, or funny engine sounds.

3 of the 4 flickers, standard ones, broke off on my first WildWood eastern cape passes trip.
Had issues with cutting out instead of going down to idling when approaching stops.
Flimsy plastics.
Superkak headlight, with gloriously low quality headlamp shell and holder.

Want to sell it now, anyone?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:06:41 pm »
I have 2014 and use it for remote solo trips, so did do quite a bit to fool proof it. I choose 2014 as it has bigger motor - 690cc vs yours 650. With better low down torque plus twin spark motor with throttle by wire which makes it smoother. On negative side the suspension is crap, but after set up by Hilton Hayward with naw springs and stuff works fine for me and lower height of s even a bit of advantage.

The fool proofing I did from the memory:
- air Box: Foam Unifilter ( the older rectangular one - JustBendIt is selling one right now), plus copious amounts of waterproof grease around the lip - otherise the let dust in!
- new subframe bolts from Perun Moto or rally raid - otherwise your rear end is going to collapse with luggage.
- side stand switch bypass
- mofset regulator replacing the OSM pos and located upfront at windshield - I have rally kit.
- I'm on second clutch in 10k km and second one started slipping. There is some kind of design fault that Ktm Pretoria has easy fix for. Runner did that fix on mine and now all is good - give him a shout, not sure what it is.
- I carry spare fuel pump and injector, but so far didn't have to use it
- instrument cluster died at 2k km - didn't bother to replace it, ride with the faulty one.
- standard exhaust is going to set your luggage on fire - I have wings.

That is what I remember.

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 09:16:58 pm »
I have a spare tank bolt upgrade kit. The one Xpat is talking about. PM me if you're interested. Double +1 for the wings exhaust, much better fit/size than the Akro imho.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD