Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My 610 let me down, but lives again!  (Read 4668 times)

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
Re: My 610 let me down!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 02:11:27 am »
Sub
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 05:55:20 pm »
Any further news on the cause Bertie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 10:57:11 pm »
I have to get some special tools, pullers etc from Kykdaar who agreed to lend them to me and get them to Tito so we can get the motor stripped without damaging anything.
So we wait for now.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:33 am »
Hoping for a positive, and affordable outcome.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:42 pm »
So some feedback, Tito stripped my engine and the news is not good.
A thrust washer on the magneto side of the crank broke a piece off and damaged the alternator, which has to be replaced. The parts manual shows it is only available as a single unit. Waiting on Kerry from Bikers Warehouse for prices on this and a bunch of other seals, gaskets and stuff.
This to a degree is the good news, as the crankcasings are warped as well. When Paul was working on stripping the motor, the crank came loose and the bearings are as smooth as you would want them to be....go figure! Anyways when the crank stopped suddenly it pushed the casings apart, so it looks like they are also to be replaced.
In lieu of all the damage it would probably be better to source a complete engine or even a complete bike instead of overcapitalizing on the broken motor.
It is almost a given that the prices of the spares needed to fix my beloved 610 would exceed it's value, so I am officially in the market for an engine or complete bike if anyone here knows of something.
18 till I die.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:32 am »
 :-\  Sorry news. It does sound like a donor engine may be the best way to go for parts. Motorcycle Graveyard in Knysna had a SM but think it was an older model, 2001 or thereabouts.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 06:05:20 am »
That's a bummer, sorry to hear.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:35 am »
I have got two cases for you.

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:04 am »
I have got two cases for you.

Well there you go - I am sure you will get the parts you need. Also look on e-Bay as I have bought parts there successfully and with zero import duty can still be reasonable. Just for noting Bikers Whorehouse took the better part of year to get parts for my 610   ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 10:27:30 am »
Hey Straatkat, sorry to hear man, but as they say Shit Happens !

Having read all your ride reports etc etc, my view is that the value of your 610 is not its resale value but its "value in use" to you.
Seeing that you get a lot of use out of your 610 and considering the kind of trips that you do, you will definitely get a lot mileage / benefit from the expensive repair particularly if you intend keeping the bike for a number of years.
So if you intend keeping the bike, I don't see it as over capitalising but as a necessary and unavoidable expense.

By repairing your bike you will end up with a 610 with a "newish" engine that is a known quantity to you.
By buying another 610 (not necessarily a known quantity to you.) you will still end up with a 610 with an "oldish" engine for a presumably a higher cost than that of repairing your current motor, unless of course you can get a good 610 for less than the cost of repairing the current motor.

Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 02:54:04 pm »
I am with the '3's man here - you are using your bike and not showcasing it, so if you can afford it invest and rebuild because you know what you have and it will serve you well for years to come!  :thumleft:

Offline JesseH

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »
Holy Moly! Thats a super bummer man.

I have always had a mental block against Castrol oil... Do you know the reason for the failure? Is it the thrust washer itself?
Ex Cagiva Elefant E750 1994
Ex Cagiva Gran Canyon 900IE 2000
Ex Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011
KTM 625 SXC 2007
KTM 950 S 2005

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:33 pm »
Midnight spares should be cheap....you know the adresses! The guy in Nelspruit has a shotgun though!

Hope you find an affordable solution Bertie!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 11:42:42 pm »
Just got the quote from Bikers Warehouse, just over R7k for the spares (including the alternator and output shaft that was worn) seems very reasonable and with the cases from Kykdaar it looks like Paul (Tito) will have everything he needs to start rebuilding once I bring all the ends together. Still looking for a left radiator as well if anyone has a lead on one.
The comments so far is absolutely spot on, I need to fix my bike and use it, it is not a showpiece, I ride it to faraway and exciting places!
And to be fair, it has 25 000 very hard kms on it, I always ride it like I stole it, full taps everywhere. One thing is for sure I am firmly back on Motul 300V oil, even though I don't know if a washer breaking can be laid at the door of  synthetic Castrol.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:15:53 am by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:24 am »
Some of the mayhem. Damaged alternator, broken thrust washer and some casing debris on crank .
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:27:28 am by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 05:55:14 am »
Straatkat, I don't believe that is an oil based failure, an original material/ manufacturing defect in my view.  8) :thumleft:
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 06:09:24 am »
Just got the quote from Bikers Warehouse, just over R7k for the spares (including the alternator and output shaft that was worn) seems very reasonable and with the cases from Kykdaar it looks like Paul (Tito) will have everything he needs to start rebuilding once I bring all the ends together. Still looking for a left radiator as well if anyone has a lead on one.
The comments so far is absolutely spot on, I need to fix my bike and use it, it is not a showpiece, I ride it to faraway and exciting places!
And to be fair, it has 25 000 very hard kms on it, I always ride it like I stole it, full taps everywhere. One thing is for sure I am firmly back on Motul 300V oil, even though I don't know if a washer breaking can be laid at the door of  synthetic Castrol.
This is excellent news!

Whats wrong with the radiator? Can it not be repaired? There used to be adds in the various bike mags of companies doing it?

Or check with the Foz guys on rad repairs.

The motorcycle graveyard in Knysna?

Does Scrat not perhaps have one for you!

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 08:50:33 am »
That bike in Knysna at the Graveyard had radiators. What is wrong with yours? I picked up some nice rad braces second hand - maybe worth thinking about. That washer failure does look like metal fatigue or something - strange. What is the damage to alternator? I have used Castrol in many many bikes over decades including my sons racing bikes (was Castrol sponsored) without issue. Sure you can drop bigger money on Motul, Motorex and Ligui Moly - not convinced that there is such a major difference if you change regularly. That said just put Liqui Moly in my Foz  ::)

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:55 am »
BD, Welsh, it is not completely clear what caused the motor to seize, that big part that broke off the washer was responsible for the alternator damage, but there are still pieces missing, they could have migrated to the inside of the casing through the reed valve thingy and caused the bearing to seize. I would like to cut the bearings open with a grinder and inspect them closely. What caused the washer to break like that is a mystery, Paul has not seen anything like that in his nearly 40 years being a motorcycle mechanic.
But I agree, definitely not a oil issue. Just after the bike seized  Xpat and myself immediately checked the oil and the level was correct, the oil only started leaking out afterwards because the seize bulged the casings outward and opened a gap between them for the oil to escape. That is a heavy crank and for it to stop suddenly releases all kinds of forces that the motor casings are not designed to absorb. 

As for the radiator, it is unrelated, it got bent in a stoopid accident when I was going to park my bike and it slipped on some sand and slid in under my car. TK lent me his radiator for the trip, which I returned already, so mine is still fubar. Will try the options mentioned, thanks.
18 till I die.

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 11:00:28 am »
This is not the first thread on the www that I have read about TE engines being damaged due to busted washers.

If it was me, I would definitely replace the relevant washers with washers machined from the correct grade of metal as opposed to using the stock Husqvarna washers.
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690