My 610 let me down, but lives again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straatkat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Xpat and myself were on our way to a sand riding adventure of a lifetime, the sandy dunes of Southern Bots, when about 50km before Bray my engine seized.
I was just starting to enjoy those sandy roads, bombing along at 100+ when my back wheel just locked. Luckily I was fast on the clutch and saved a bad fall.
First thing to check was oil level, which seemed within limits, and coolant was full too. What gives? We managed to get a nearby farmer to collect me and the bike on his bakkie and they put us up for the night. As we offloaded the bike I spotted some oil running out of the bashplate. Then all kinds of demons run through my brain, did I forget to tighten the sump plug when changing oil? Has the engine developed a crack? Where does the oil come from? Im my mind, if all fluid levels are fine how can the engine seize?
Anyway got my wife to recover me the following day, and we got home at 1am. What an unneccesary ordeal. Back home I stripped the Hyde bashplate off and saw what looked like the oil running out between the engine casings??? Both sump plugs were still in play and I could not see any cracks..... Tito volunteered to take the engine apart and see what can be done, so tomorrow I will take the bike to him. I can't believe my trusty Husky let me down like this, on day one of a two week adventure! I did notice the fuel consumption was very high, I only got 150km on a tank, so I was only getting around 12km/l. Normally it's more like 18.