They say half a bike- is now a full bike.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beebop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Is beter than no bike….right ?

Following on from this thread  https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=207343.msg3793513#msg3793513
I have started the ball rolling.

The initial inspiration is my 150 000km spline lube and general major maintenance routine.
I am pleased to say that the input splines are no worse than they were at 100 000km. What is of concern is that the White BMW Spline grease, which I used, compliments of Bavarian, had to be scraped off the splines like paint. No reason it should get that hard. On the clutch plate, the splines were slightly rusted. I may have to change the grease I’m using.
Input splines

And the clutch plate

I reckon at 200 000km, I’ll probably replace both. The clutch thickness is 5,6mm so still a while to go.

Rear subframe

While its apart, this is the rack re-inforcement bracket a made a few years ago.

At 99800km my drive shaft twisted its front universal off. An inmate here gave me a complete bent shaft which came off an accident damaged bike he bought. I took it with my damaged one to a propshaft place in Strjdompark. The turned off both shaft, aligned them using a dial guage, and welded the two to make one good shaft. I’m please to say it holding out well, and both universals are still smooth. I will try to inject a bit of grease into them.

The slave cylinder is also still good, the bearing smooth and still greased from the last time.

The Big bearing on the final drive was dirty, but dry, and no discernible play.

Paralever bearings are still smooth and well greased , a few things do however need attention.
The left side crash bar bracket has broken.

The telelever ball joint boot has gone again, but still tight and well greased.

Forks are badly chipped after the powder coat I did previously. I may look at bed liner or something similar in future.

Grips removed for replacement

Isnt the tank absolutely huge? You don’t realise it till its off.

So this is where I am now, about 7 hours into it. Don’t think I’ll strip much further, just a good clean, bit of paint, and then put it all together along with a service.