Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Knowing how to identify when you or your riding buddies are in trouble  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Destrier

• Bike: BMW (all models)
    • View Profile
I also wanted to add that this is a free session, but if you would like to give Tris a little something there will be a donation option.

Nien Bean

Offline yamaha660

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Die lewe is n lied
    • View Profile
Baie bly ek het dit nou gelees,sal water van nou prioriteit maak,dankie mede honde vir waardevolle inligting ;)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
I'm a jeans and T-shirt rider. :-[

One important thing to remember is that most overheating issues comes from slow and arduous going, like rocky technical or sand, where a machine is often dropped/picked up and manhandled.

Under these circumstances the best of ventilated jackets in high temp environments is dangerous. The heating situation gets completed by a neckbrace sealing the opening between shoulders and helmet
nicely. :eek7:
You must take in water, I hardly ever drink but this just how we differ, and you must also ensure a minimum measure of airflow to ensure surface evaporation cooling.

A light bike is also an important tool in the fight against dehydration/overheating under difficult conditions.

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
Something I do that helps before a race or big adventure ride is to start hydrating a couple days before - rehydrate, cramp-ease and non-alcoholic drinks - lots of.

Defnitely helps with in-race cramps and concentration.

Trouble is, when I'm finished, i'm so damn thirsty I head straight for the beers ....... dunno how to fix that one yet  ::)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:06:55 pm by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
Something I do that helps before a race or big adventure ride is to start hydrating a couple days before - rehydrate, cramp-ease and non-alcoholic drinks - lots of.

Defnitely helps with in-race cramps and concentration.

Trouble is, when I'm finished, i'm so damn thirsty I head straight for the beers ....... dunno how to fix that one yet  ::)

Well buddy I do not want to sound like 'cool medic/peoples (riders) pleaser' but I cannot fault a couple of cold beers after the race knowing that you need to continue the next day.
Beer is filled with carbohydrates and although the 'alcohol and carbonated' part is not good when it comes to hydrating issues and blood glucose levels it is really not going to do anything at all.
However, don't drown yourself in the beer like the spectators but if you have a couple and then a good dinner and continue with a balanced nutritional supplement and something like rehydrate I can't foresee a problem.
We have demined in the Congo - it is very warm and humid and we did just that - we walked kilometres every day sweating profusely while surveying carrying heavy equipment etc and never any issues.

Just as an afterthought. I have been a medic on many events - racing as well and biking but we always get the patients only to hear; 'I did feel a little weird last night or this morning before the race'.....and the medic sits bored out of his mind doing nothing mostly.
Why do you okes not use the event medics? It is a service which you paid for weather you use him or not! So go to the guy and ask him to take you Blood pressure and sugar level! Promise he will not (should not) hold your nuts and make you cough like the school nurse did  :deal:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
Ja it is also interesting that the Dakar gives competitors a beer or wine with their evening meal but then I guess that is the French way  8)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 200 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky: