Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??  (Read 11940 times)

Offline FJR

BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:35:10 am »
Hi All,
Do any of you guys have the same problem?
All my previous trips on my new 2017 GSA was done alone. Yesterday my wife join me the first time on the LC to J-Bay for a breakfast. It was quite warm here in PE and the OBC shows 31deg.
On my solo rides I did feel quite a lot of heat on my lower right hand side leg but I thought it was just the CAT that was doing it but after yesterday I am not so sure about it. This only happens with highway speed of 120 and higher. My wife complain that her right leg was burning and I feel that even the right hand side grab rail was getting hot.

I found this on the Web: http://hardtxrider.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/gsa-right-side-heat-issue.html?m=1
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:15:14 pm by FJR »

Offline Redhotchilipepe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:19:41 pm »
Yes, the 2017 1200GSA lc gets quite hot on the right side. Please report this to your BMW dealership and make sure they report it to BMW SA and not just explaining the reason for the excessive heat. They did "off the record" said that the problem could easy be fixed but against Euro 4 emission specs.  The more owners raise the issue, the sooner the problem will be sorted. I have tested a 2015 and 2017 GSA under same conditions and there is definitely a significant difference in heat between the 2 bikes. Cape Town dealerships have received a few complaints already. Their latest response:
 "As per our discussion this mail is to confirm that I have raised the concern with BMW SA Technical regarding your motorcycle exhaust temperature.
They are aware of the higher exhaust temperatures which is a normal characteristic on the 2017 1200 GS and GSA as of the Euro 4 emission specification and the larger catalytic convertor in the exhaust."

Offline FJR

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:59:58 pm »
Yes, the 2017 1200GSA lc gets quite hot on the right side. Please report this to your BMW dealership and make sure they report it to BMW SA and not just explaining the reason for the excessive heat. They did "off the record" said that the problem could easy be fixed but against Euro 4 emission specs.  The more owners raise the issue, the sooner the problem will be sorted. I have tested a 2015 and 2017 GSA under same conditions and there is definitely a significant difference in heat between the 2 bikes. Cape Town dealerships have received a few complaints already. Their latest response:
 "As per our discussion this mail is to confirm that I have raised the concern with BMW SA Technical regarding your motorcycle exhaust temperature.
They are aware of the higher exhaust temperatures which is a normal characteristic on the 2017 1200 GS and GSA as of the Euro 4 emission specification and the larger catalytic convertor in the exhaust."
Thanks, I have now officially reported it our PE dealer.

Online Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:05:22 pm »
My wife also complained about the exact issue. 2015 model had no such issue

Offline FJR

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »
My wife also complained about the exact issue. 2015 model had no such issue
Please report to your dealer as well. THX.

Offline BLK

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:34:17 pm »
Is that not a benefit in the winter months?

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:17 pm »
Have you tried fitting a BoosterPlug? Lean mixtures prescribed by Euro 4 regulations make bikes run lean, and hot. Making the mixture just a bit richer might just make it better - the bike prefers a richer mixture as it is at its happiest at 13.6 to 1 instead of 14.7 to 1 that it has been forced to run.

Jens from BoosterPlug comments on the matter:
"We already know that the latest BMW models are running even leaner than the previous years, and that they are less powerful at low RPM’s. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they are suffering from engine knocking (Pinging) in hotter climates.
 There is no doubt that they will be running hot with the extremely lean air/fuel ratio, and this problem will be even more pronounced on a hot summer day.
The small controlled fuel enrichment from the BoosterPlug will lower the combustion temperature slightly, and especially the thermally stressed exhaust valves will love the BoosterPlug :-)"
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline heti

• Heti, the abominable slowman!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:45:01 pm »
Same experience with my 2017 GSA.  Number plate melting.  Complaint logged with Donford CT.

Offline Buffel B

• BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »
My 2016 is ook warm aan regterkant, maar nie uithoubaar nie. Gaan die Booster-plug nie die fiets se temp meter beinvloed nie? ( op my vorige S Ten was dit wel die geval)
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Online Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 09:22:20 pm »
How much is the booster plug? Installation?

Offline FJR

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:00:02 am »
Have you tried fitting a BoosterPlug? Lean mixtures prescribed by Euro 4 regulations make bikes run lean, and hot. Making the mixture just a bit richer might just make it better - the bike prefers a richer mixture as it is at its happiest at 13.6 to 1 instead of 14.7 to 1 that it has been forced to run.

Jens from BoosterPlug comments on the matter:
"We already know that the latest BMW models are running even leaner than the previous years, and that they are less powerful at low RPM’s. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they are suffering from engine knocking (Pinging) in hotter climates.
 There is no doubt that they will be running hot with the extremely lean air/fuel ratio, and this problem will be even more pronounced on a hot summer day.
The small controlled fuel enrichment from the BoosterPlug will lower the combustion temperature slightly, and especially the thermally stressed exhaust valves will love the BoosterPlug :-)"
Het klaar een in en dit het geen verskil aan die hitte gemaak nie. Wens ek kan by iemand n Akrapovic header leen om te sien of dit n verskil maak as mens die CAT uit het.

Offline gee

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:44:28 am »
as far I'm concerned this is a design flaw with the GSA.I have had 1 trophy and 1 standard gs and never experienced this heat build up. It only happens on my new GSA.

Offline Tradie

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 08:45:43 am »
Dankie tog!!!
Ek dog ek is die enigste newbie met 'n half gaar regter boud.
Ondervind dit ook met my 2017 GS.
Ek het dit ondervind toe ek die GS En GSA by Donford toets bestuur het. Met die Trophy, was dit egter nie die geval nie.
Do not make expensive noise. Make the first shot count!!!

Offline FJR

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:48:25 am »
Dankie tog!!!
Ek dog ek is die enigste newbie met 'n half gaar regter boud.
Ondervind dit ook met my 2017 GS.
Ek het dit ondervind toe ek die GS En GSA by Donford toets bestuur het. Met die Trophy, was dit egter nie die geval nie.
Raporteer dit ASB aan julle BMW handellaar so gou as moontlik. BMW het my gister gebel en gese ek moet my fiets volgende week Woensdag by hulle he, klink ook of daar van die JHB BMW manne afkom. Sal julle op hoogte hou. Hoop net dit is n warm dag want dit gebeur nie as dit koud is nie. (OK, nie so erg nie)

Offline Tradie

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 10:01:57 am »
Ek moet myne se 1000km diens boek vir volgende week.
Ek sal so maak, dankie.
Do not make expensive noise. Make the first shot count!!!

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 10:40:41 pm »
Gee nie veel om as die nommerplaat so bietjie meer hitte kry as wat dit kan verdra nie, kan dalk net goed wees. Maar as dit die Pannier beskadig is die hel los.

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 10:41:27 pm »
Gee nie veel om as die nommerplaat so bietjie meer hitte kry as wat dit kan verdra nie, kan dalk net goed wees. Maar as dit die Pannier beskadig is die hel los.

Offline FJR

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 07:58:42 am »
Same experience with my 2017 GSA.  Number plate melting.  Complaint logged with Donford CT.
Jip, myne ook. Dit is soos myne gelyk het toe ek van Mosselbaai terug gekom het. Ek het nou n "staal backing plate" met n klein aluminium "heat shield" aangesit en dit het nog nie weer gebeur nie.

Offline FJR

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 08:03:05 am »
. Myne het al begin smelt met die standaard uitlaap pyp aan maar ek dink die Akra het dit dalk erger gemaak. Die Akra is defnatief koeler as die standaard pyp as jy aan hom raak.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:04:56 am by FJR »

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:51 am »
my 2017 in vandag vir sy 1km diens en dit met die service manager gelog om ook te toets en kyk