Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??  (Read 12154 times)

Offline BuRP

Re: BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2018, 02:13:21 pm »
Given that the airbox temperature is only evaluated at idle/low RPM's, how does fitting the booster plug help when the heat issue seems to stem from actual riding (at which point the ECU uses a closed loop O2 sensor feedback for control, i.e. booster plug is meaningless)?

Wrong or mostly so.
During steady throttle and coasting the engine's in closed loop, hence it follows that it's in open loop during varying loads, for instance acceleration - and a BP is only active when the engine is in open loop, hence you keep your factory-frugal consumption during coasting (and this then will also make zero difference for Cat-heat problems!)
The temp-probe of a BP you will, must actually, mount there where there's air unaffected by engine heat, so up front in airflow is best - or in the airbox is also fine.

I've had 2 of these BP's on 2 (very) different bikes, and they work: not huge differences but noticeable one's - for performance issues, however they may help with Cat-heat problems also (I removed the cats on both bike i.e I practise what I preach  ;))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:16:43 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline BuRP

« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2018, 02:30:21 pm »
I think I will go with removing the cat once my warranty is finished. Another year left.

Wrong if you ask me, but you didn't so I volunteer this.
Try following?
Goto your stealer and tell them you will buy from them - they do sell them! - a set of catless headers and a PC-V, however on one condition, which is that they'll not be childish to hide behind a 'warranty voiding' when there will be (chance rather small innit) a problem. Dunno you but don't expect this on a letterhead, so trust the relationship you have with the chaps: if you're a typical moangat then you (and they!) will know it, if you're a normal oke then ditto, so judge yourself here, zero offense to anyone intended.

You just may be surprised by their willingness to do this, and what you will get then is a bike which performs better just about everywhere in the rev range.
It also will a tad less silent, not bad either - and no, it won't be noisy but if you want that change the can.
Fuel consumption will be same if you ride same, or a bit more because you'll use the engine more  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline BuRP

« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2018, 02:55:24 pm »
Here is the latest reply from BMW received today:

Trusting you are well.Pardon the delay in reply as I was awaiting an answer
regarding the heat issue complaints.
XYZ (Name removed), who has been dealing with BMW SA regarding this matter,confirmed
that according to BMW they never got enough complaints about this issue
to regard it as a real problem and confirmed that it is due to the latest Euro
laws that demanded a larger volume catalytic converter being fitted to meet
the latest clean air emmissions which is creating the extra heat and not the
actual engine itself.
Unfortunately it is worse in warmer climates where most of the complaints
originated,but it is not a BMW design fault which caused this.
Regarding the headers for a pre-2017,I am pretty sure it will help to alleviate
the problem as I personally also never had this problem on any of the older
model GSís that I used to ride.

What a scandalous load of bollocks!
Yes of course, the owners in the northern hemisphere, Scandinavia and Canada spring to mind here, will not complain because they'll hardly notice it.
But the okes in Oz & SA (which are the only 2 markets where some of these buffalos are sold) do notice it, hell, some even melt their number plate holders... but they don't make an iota difference in the woldwide sales figures hence "it is not a BMW design fault"...
YES it IS, and BMW is pathetic that they don't sort it out!

It's this attitude that made me sell my 2 BM's, and I'll never have one again, they can go seek heil somewhere else!

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2018, 01:41:07 pm »
Just been on a ride with a mate. I know its hot in GP (35 C when we were riding) but the heat issue is actually unbearable now and I had to stop twice on a 150km trip to let things cool down. My back side and inside of both legs were literally on fire. (we were mostly on the hiway 6th gear cruising at between 100kms and 130kms max)
We both ride the same bikes. GSA 1200 but his a 2014 and mine is a 2017. I have 14k kms on mine and he has around 22k kms on his. Mine definately gets more heat from the cat. My cat was actually glowing red hot while his was not. We rode at the same speeds but he did accelerate faster than me sometimes. Take a look at these pictures:

This is my exhaust with around 14000 kms.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:45:46 pm by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Brucet

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2018, 01:42:27 pm »
This is my mates exhaust with around 22000kms

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Brucet

« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2018, 01:43:39 pm »
It is blatantly obvious that its the catalytic converter.

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline TheBear

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2018, 01:57:44 pm »

Yes of course, the owners in the northern hemisphere, Scandinavia and Canada spring to mind here, will not complain because they'll hardly notice it.
But the okes in Oz & SA (which are the only 2 markets where some of these buffalos are sold) do notice it, hell, some even melt their number plate holders... but they don't make an iota difference in the woldwide sales figures hence "it is not a BMW design fault"...

Some Northern Hemisphere country's GS riders are complaining as much as anyone here.  See quote below:

Quote from: Spain
Hi riders.

I'm spanish and I'm writing you from http://www.bmwmotos.com/foro/ to ask for your help. First of all I apologize for my English faults but we think that the issue is so hard that deserves to work together to claim BMW a solution for the heat issue on the right leg that GS Adventure LC has.

Many of us we usually read your forum and we know that some of you have also complainted about heat on GSA:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/update-on-right-side-heat-problem-r1200gs-wc.993009/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/heat-from-cylinders-on-new-gs-lc.986062/

We have the same issue because our summer is also really hot, reaching 40-45ļ Celsius in some regions of Spain. In that circumstancies this issue become a great problem, due to it's unconfortable and even some of us have suffered from burns on legs, specially the passanger.
So we have created a hashtag with the aim of putting pressure on BMW motorrad so that they work on a solution for this issue. We can not believe that a brand like BMW is not able to find a solution.

We'd be really thankful if all of you that has suffered this issue explain your complaint in this hashtag @bmwmotorrad #BMWgsBURNS

Thanks

Quote from: USA
I have a 2015 ADV model and like many,suffer from the immense heat problem common on the right side of the ADV model.
It becomes very noticeable above 85*F. Almost unbearable last week in the 100+*F temps,experienced last week crossing through the plaine States of Nebraska and Iowa. Salt Lake City Utah and it's hi 90 and 100* temps were no fun either.
But I don't believe it is caused by the exhaust system or its relation to where it is placed on the bike.
I feel "it's the heat coming off the right side radiator" that swirls around and collects in this zone along the right side by the leg/thigh area.
Additionally because the "right" radiator is first inline in the system to cool the fluid,the air flow coming off of it is much hotter than the left side.
I agree,something needs to be done to redirect this "radiator air flow",and keep it off the rider and or passen

Quote from: Italy
From Italy here, we have sent to BMW Motorrad Munich various emails showing the issue. 70 Users nicks and VIN nbrs have been attached.
Messages have been posted on Facebook and Twitter BMW Motorrad pages and the hashtag #BMWgsBURNS has been created by Spanish Forum Friends. Bike Magazines have been informed too. Here are two examples of statements coming back from Germany (July 2017):
"Just so you know, we are working with our partners in Italy to try and find a solution".....and again,
"I hope we can find the best solution for you all really."

It seems it is a worldwide problem.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:01:44 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Ian Bean

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2018, 02:00:52 pm »
Did you have this heat issue when bike was new. I have a gs rallye but only has 2000km but I have no heat issue yet.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2018, 02:14:49 pm »
Have any of you guys noted the shield like thing on the RT's?  It is under the cylinder and seems to be there to channel heat away from the rider.

Did you have this heat issue when bike was new. I have a gs rallye but only has 2000km but I have no heat issue yet.

It seems to be a GSA issue. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:17:18 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Brucet

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2018, 03:26:14 pm »

Yes I did but not as bad as it was today but that could be climate related as it was 35 C while we were riding. I think this is the hottest weather that I have ridden in on this bike.

Im going to drill out my cat.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Ian Bean

• Bean
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2018, 09:34:46 pm »

Yes I did but not as bad as it was today but that could be climate related as it was 35 C while we were riding. I think this is the hottest weather that I have ridden in on this bike.

I rode in 36 degrees the other day and had no heat issue. I bought my bike this year but it is a 2017. I was riding in road power mode I wonder if the modes have any affect not sure if the mixture changes with diff modes?

Offline Ian Bean

• Bean
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:52 pm »

I have an Akrapovic on my bike not sure if that makes a difference as I didnít notice the standard pipe getting hot either

Offline Bravofox

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2018, 04:04:18 pm »
I ride the normal GS, not the GSA. I do notice the heat, but it is not that bad due to the increased airflow from the lack of bigger fairings. My wife did mention the heat on the hot day the one time I helped her to take off and than catching her again when she stopped, as she is too short for the GS but wanted to ride it badly...

Offline Roarman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2018, 03:42:36 pm »
So, I am currently on a quick trip from Cape Town to PE back to Cape Town on my 2018 (2017) 1200 gsa.
The weather has not been warm, itís been more on the cool side and the right hand side and seat is very warm. So warm that I have to move my right foot as forward as possible to get air to move between my leg and the bike. Before I bought the bike I read that there were problems with the heat, I was just hoping it wasnít that bad...... I was wrong.

Riding off-road it does not bug me as I am standing most times but on a long tar road........ itís a problem.
Iíll be using #bmwgsburns in my tweets.

Interesting how KTM 1190 had a similar problem and KTM attempted to fix the problem where BMW isnít interested.
Rory

Offline Ian Bean

• Bean
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2018, 05:02:23 pm »
So, I am currently on a quick trip from Cape Town to PE back to Cape Town on my 2018 (2017) 1200 gsa.
The weather has not been warm, itís been more on the cool side and the right hand side and seat is very warm. So warm that I have to move my right foot as forward as possible to get air to move between my leg and the bike. Before I bought the bike I read that there were problems with the heat, I was just hoping it wasnít that bad...... I was wrong.

Riding off-road it does not bug me as I am standing most times but on a long tar road........ itís a problem.

Interesting how KTM 1190 had a similar problem and KTM attempted to fix the problem where BMW isnít interested.
What engine mapping you on road or dynamic. I was told dynamic runs hotter.

Offline gee

« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2018, 07:39:36 am »
i have got tiered of waiting for bmw its been over a year and a half . I have just taken out my catalyst. will report back in a week or 2

The following users thanked this post: Brucet

Offline Roarman

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2018, 07:46:27 am »

What engine mapping you on road or dynamic. I was told dynamic runs hotter.
Dynamic.
I'm on my way to Swellendam today. I'll try Road and see if it makes a difference but let's be totally honest here. Should it make a difference? BMW should sort the problem out. If it's the mode, why have a mode available that is not usable?
On my 2014 model I never had the problem. 

I would love to know if it's a problem on the 1250. Maybe we should start asking the YouTube guys that have reviewed the 1250 bike.
Rory

Offline Roarman

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2018, 07:47:48 am »
i have got tiered of waiting for bmw its been over a year and a half . I have just taken out my catalyst. will report back in a week or 2
Agreed.
Please share what you did to remove it. Maybe some pictures too.
Rory

Offline Brucet

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2018, 09:50:25 am »

yes please share details.

My bike is in Road mode.

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline TheBear

« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
I'll try Road and see if it makes a difference but let's be totally honest here. Should it make a difference?

It shouldn't. 
.#BRADICAL!