Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dustybutt 2500, Take 1, failed (Short RR)  (Read 2335 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Dustybutt 2500, Take 1, failed (Short RR)
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:55:21 am »
I have done a successful 1600/hr dustybutt, but have this huge personal challenge to do a 2500km/36hr one. It took more than a year for the stars to align before I could take this on but we were prepped and Saturday went at it.

or not, we were supposed to start at 5am but first the zip on my jacket broke, so quickly back home to get another jacket. then we got going and my GPS didn't work, so again quickly home to get the backup paper-route I forgot, but now it was 6oclock so we quickly got another fuel slip and restarted the trip officially at 6. Super frustrating as I put a huge amount of planning in not to have crap issues like this.

First sandy patches we hit my troubles was not over and I find that my bike is unstable. something was really not on. The least amount of sand will get huge wobbles out of the bike. I already had a full 10l of petrol extra on the back, but I also increased the rear compression before the trip in an attempt not to bottom out as I knew this was not a little issue with these bikes. So I deflated my tyres to less than 2 bar and went softer on front and rear compression and it was a lot better, not sorted though but a lot more manageable and I also soon forgot about it and we got into the groove.

We travelled from Kathu to Deben to Olifantshoek and then to Prieska via the Witsand route, doing as much gravel as possible. A lot of rains fell the previous day and was still falling. Great fun. It stole a lot of our time also as, like the kids we were, we wanted to get pics and videos of the wet road as well. There was some really deep patches as well and then other times we both took some water way to fast. Philip particularly took very long to reply on the intercom once after hitting a nice patch of water at speed. One that was a little underestimated and he came out at almost 60degrees but managed to keep it upright, giving one of those unbelieving chuckles of what the hell just happened.

A few random pics, even though we are pressed for time pics should always be taken.... Philip had to do a quick fix on his spotlight, (which worked lekker afterwards!) and then water and water. Later we also had rain. Somehow my back was properly covered in mud while Philip was not as bad. Don't know how the setups differ to allow that.
But the water was a lot of fun, even though it was costing us a lot of time.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
Re: Dustybutt 2500, Take 1, failed (Short RR)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:26:59 am »
And no I did not go down in the last pic.

I understand a tyre does not get cut easily until you add water, then its like butter. Well, on the wet roads, I got a monster cut on my front. Philip thought it was the end right there, saying he will be impressed if we ride from there. Well, 4 plugs later and we were off. But it was a nagging issue from there till even now. After work I will be going to Midas to clean them out on plugs actually.

We arrived in Prieska still okay on the time front, but 30km out I got a flat again. Philip went back to see about sourcing a tube but only managed a secondhand tyre. Waiting for him did allow the tyre weld with plugs actually to seat properly and the then fix actually lasted a while. I still cant decide if tyre weld isn't the crappiest or best stuff ever.

We made Vosburg with roads getting better and better, dryer and faster and started making real good time. Victoria West we refilled beating off all the beggars and set off to Loxton. 30km out we were making great time when there was a washed away ditch we hit at speed. Somehow these things are always after a rise and on the blind side. Anyhow I did not think much of it, hit it pretty hard, or so so and suddenly the bike was dead. Pulled in clutch tried switching off and on again but nothing. Pulled over and noticed the damage on the rear. The dreaded bottoming-out-ripping-into-your-ECU-cables happened. With some tinkering we got some plugs back in place and the bike could start again, but no rear lights. (actually 100km before my spotlights and GPS lost ignition power, but this timkering solved that). While standing there a farmer did offer assistance, people on secluded roads are much more helpful than on tar. This guy had a huge gun with him so we were super friendly back as well.

While sorting the bike we saw the front shocks were also leaking oil. SO there were basically now 3 things that was almost still manageable, but each of them telling us its the end of our dustybutt attempt. We turned around and went home via tar.

I did not travel far before the plugs started giving me trouble again. I slept over in Kimberley (Damn tar riding sucks, super boring and tough on the butt!) All of them came out at Danielskuil and I fitted my last lot. 5km before Kuruman the tyre was flat again, so I stopped, wanting to do a quick fill up on air before continuing. This time I did not stop the bike, music or take my helmet off. I overfilled the tyre and blew my last plugs out of the hole into my face. I lost it, I was just so mad at myself I seriously considered throwing my helmet into the bushes. Well, I called for help and the bike is still in Kuruman, in a pretty sorry state. I will bring it the 58km to Kathu when I have refilled my air canister and stocked up on plugs, before fitting a tube and fixing the rest of the bike....

I will update now now with the last pics...

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:50 am »
its the end of our dustybutt

Julle moes aanhou ry het en dan n nuwe trip gename het....................................muddybutt. :lol8: >:D ;)
Julle is veilig by die huis, die boere smile oor die reŽn en die son skyn weer vandag dis al wat tel. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:38:01 am »
Hier is dit nog vroeg en mens kan sien daai voorwiel pla hom!! (hande indie sy/verstreerd)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:38:34 am by PHILIPKUHN »
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:47:46 am »
Cut in tyre
plugs upon plugs upon plugs
wiring ripped
My bike truly in a sorry state. full of oil as well.

But like Chris said, we are home and fine, and the farmers got their rain. Definitely still a good weekend

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 10:50:43 am »
Daai bike vreet homself van die gatkant af op!!! :eek7: :o
Is it possible to reroute all those wires to a "safer" place?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:54:25 am »
Daai bike vreet homself van die gatkant af op!!! :eek7: :o
Is it possible to reroute all those wires to a "safer" place?

Properly sy gat gesien.
Ek gaan suspension maar upgrade en deel daarvan is om die bumpstops (watookal mens dit noem) van agter shock ook verander/vergroot.

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 05:58:06 pm »
Ai man, van die begin af het dinge teen julle (of net teen jou?) getel. Dit sou wel baie indrukwekkend wees as julle dit kon klaar maak. Soos ek laas vir jou gese het, het jy ten minste nie hierdie keer seer gekry soos met die laaste een nie. Ek kan net nie glo al daai plugs drade sit so lekker daar waar daai band hulle kon gryp nie.

En ek sÍ weer, ek wens ek kon vir julle backup ry.
Born to be Mild

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 06:01:35 pm »
Hier is dit nog vroeg en mens kan sien daai voorwiel pla hom!! (hande indie sy/verstreerd)

Philip, mens noem daai die "suikerpot" jy sien dit gereeld met n kwaai ronde kop huisdier ook. Soos wanneer jy gesÍ het jy gaan net gou een biertjie saam met die manne gaan drink en dan eers na middernag weer jou verskyning by die huis maak
Born to be Mild

Offline Dirkie GS

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Met gees
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »
Wow,  that is just terrible!
Looks like you weren't supposed to go on that trip.
Nonetheless looks like those issues were inevitable?
First gen problem maybe?  Like big mechanical worry 800 first gen
keep calm and trust in God

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:26:44 am »

I don't think the later 1190s had anything changed to prevent the bottoming out.
I must also add that I did not have OEM spec rear tyre fitted, it was one profile higher. But IMO having the correct size would only have prolonged the inevitable to a proper bottoming out.
But we should have had an extra 21 tube, my slip up.
fork seals...the neoprene boots are on order.
And then I will probably start stripping for the suspension upgrade next week. still need to wash the bike.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:59:06 am »

I don't think the later 1190s had anything changed to prevent the bottoming out.
I must also add that I did not have OEM spec rear tyre fitted, it was one profile higher. But IMO having the correct size would only have prolonged the inevitable to a proper bottoming out.
But we should have had an extra 21 tube, my slip up.
fork seals...the neoprene boots are on order.
And then I will probably start stripping for the suspension upgrade next week. still need to wash the bike.

2016 bikes have a different rear shock and different "fender".  Not entirely sure what's different about either of them, but supposedly it was done to make this less likely.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:50 am »
Thanks Roadhawg
Changes only made in 2016, that's a slow reaction!

I will probably then be buying the new type fender, will be interesting to see the change

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:41:32 am »
 :sip: Maar, dit lyk nog altyd na 'n lekker avontuur waaroor daar om die vuur oor gepraat kan word.  :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 10:11:18 am »
Thanks Roadhawg
Changes only made in 2016, that's a slow reaction!

I will probably then be buying the new type fender, will be interesting to see the change

Yeah, It's a "new part number for model year" on the parts list.  No idea what actually changed though.

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »
Ai dis jammer man,het sommer lekker gelyk met die nat paaie en nie soveel stofpad nie.

Miskien is die nuwe part by die fender van staal... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Doen jou suspensie en die fender en jy gaan sommer n lekkerder fiets he glo my,ek dink nie soseer die shock socks sou gekeer het dat die seels nie pop nie,miskien was die vurke net te pap en die kompressie te veel en toe pop die seels. ;)
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline Klein Torkar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »
Awsome avontier, en ja die stere sal weer oplyn.

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:47 am »
dis nie die wiel wat indie ECU ingaan, dis die ECU wat indie wiel ingaan.  :thumleft: 8) :biggrin: :ricky: :pot:
Groete
Philip Kuhn

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:03 am »
dis nie die wiel wat indie ECU ingaan, dis die ECU wat indie wiel ingaan.  :thumleft: 8) :biggrin: :ricky: :pot:

Is daai n versterkings bracket Philip?
Lyk nie standard

Ek reken wel myne is wiel in ECU in. Onthou myne het nie hele gat kant af gekom nie, hy het n gat geslaan in daai onderste cover eerder.

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 09:52:23 am »
Ek stem nie saam. Hy het amper die gat afgehaal.
Groete
Philip Kuhn