Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Petrol purchases in Nam & Bots  (Read 606 times)

Offline cheesy

Petrol purchases in Nam & Bots
« on: April 13, 2017, 04:03:23 pm »
We have planned a trip to Namibia and Botswana in May.The credit cards have been sorted with the exception of the garage cards for the intended purpose, the Bank advised that the petrol/garage cards are not valid in these countries. How does one overcome this issue, with cash or normal credit card? Your experience in this regard will be appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline geopat

Re: Petrol purchases in Nam & Bots
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »
Dont rely on being able to use any cards lots of places have no card facilities always keep an emergency supply of cash

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 03:28:33 am »
Nam & Bots are pretty high-tech. Most garages have card facilities. As your bank says, they don't take garage cards, but credit cards work fine. And you get a good exchange rate.

But do have some cash "just in case". Draw cash from an ATM after crossing the respective borders, do NOT use a "bureau de exchange"  - they WILL rip you off...
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:29:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies, comments noted and will be applied, much appreciated.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:05:13 am »
Hi Cheesy,

The petrol stations in the major towns and villages generally have credit card facilities (Maun, Francistown, Gaborone. Not sure if Ghanzi or Shakawe would though). Though sometimes they are too lazy to find the machine, and simply say it is broken. Insist on trying it anyway.
As Mr. Zog says, have cash ready. In Botswana, that means Pula. Petrol stations at the border might accept Rand, but they will screw you over with the exchange (when I drove back to Botswana last year I only had Rand and the ATM was down. They also said the bureau de change was closed, but they could take the Rand. I only realised after that 1- the bureau de change was actually open, and 2- they took about double what I actually had to pay).

Enjoy the cheaper fuel in Botswana. Let me know if you're near Maun and keen for a drink  :thumleft:

Offline cheesy

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:42:14 pm »
Thank you Heather, We will certainly give you a call should we pop in to Maun. Our itinerary is VERY loose at the moment so we will see where we land up.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:23:37 pm »
Thank you Heather, We will certainly give you a call should we pop in to Maun. Our itinerary is VERY loose at the moment so we will see where we land up.

Cool beans  :ricky: