"Defected" from a GS to an S10...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Morning all, (and greetings from one of the so-far quietest forum members).

After three years "banned from the bike" due to complications from a neck fusion, I had the go-ahead a few weeks ago to go shopping for another two-wheeler.

I've only had GSes before (2x F650 and an R1200) but tried an S10 on the recommendation of a friend (and supported by all the rave reviews on forums such as this one). I was sold in the end by the riding position that leaves my neck unstressed, something I never achieved on my much-loved 1200 GS.

I picked up the new machine (a very low mileage 2012) on Thursday, and so far, mostly so good. It's due for a service and I thought I'd have everything checked over then, but too late: Yesterday, with a clatter and a bang, it threw and bent a rear wheel spoke so I guess I'm in for a whole new set.  :mad: I see on some of the USA forums that this was a common issue on these bikes a few years ago.

Now the question: I'm Pretoria based. Does anyone have some sound advice on a good local dealer or independent for servicing and repairs? (Or is it worth half a day's leave and the run through to Boksburg to this Shimwells place I hear so much about?)

With thanks in anticipation :)