Making it down to South Africa one way or another!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hey Wild Dogs,

Ive lived 90% of my life in the USA, ripping up single track and old logging roads on a XC 250 and a DRZ 400 throughout Missouri and Washington State. Between jobs, I went down to South America and did some riding in Colombia, and then did a 4000km loop through Chile and Argentina on a KLR 650. I decided to mix things up a bit and take a job contract in Germany for 18 months, and now I live in Switzerland. Unfortunately bikeless as the moment.

My parents overlanded Switzerland to South Africa more than 30 years ago, and Ive always said that I would do that too. The "its too dangerous now!" from everyone around me has made me not consider it seriously, but now after traveling around most of the world and seeing way too many people online having the adventure I should be having, I've realized its mostly sensationalist, and its time for me to do the same.

Theres lots of questions for me right now, but they'll become clearer as a delve more into this awesome forum. I have my heart set on Southern and Eastern Africa, mainly due way less visa requirements and much less border crossings. I hope to head out in the next couple months, but my starting point is unclear. Riding directly from Europe to Eastern Africa seems almost impossible. No more ferries to Egypt. Do I buy a bike here and ship it to South Africa? Do I ship it to Egypt? Do I buy a bike in South Africa and ride north, even though everything I've read online makes it seem very much unsure and frustrating buying a bike as a foreigner? Or do I just go the easy route, and just rent a bike for 2 months and see as much of southern Africa as possible? And Carnets! Its a bit overwhelming.

Anyway, im definitely glad I found your place. Lots of information to go through!

Cheers

Dylan