Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chris Birch going Big at Romaniacs!!  (Read 2280 times)

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Birch going Big at Romaniacs!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:13:35 am »
This should be interesting. Will be following this closely.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:42 am »
According to his FB page it will be on a 1090 and not a 1190
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:44 am »
One very used 1190 will be up for sale soon  :o
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:28 am »
According to his FB page it will be on a 1090 and not a 1190

I doubt it makes that much of a difference?

Offline Pom17

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:56:47 am »
Never met the guy but he always looks so down to earth and like such a decent guy. Love his work and this will surely be interesting to follow  :thumleft:

Online Motties

• Was Darksider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:13 am »
I don't really get it.

Man of his talent and skill should rather take a 300 and see if he can beat Jarvis, a much greater challenge - that is my humble opinion of course.

But good luck to him, a great guy and if someone can pull it off, it is probably him.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Judge Dredd

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Ons gaan NOU braai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:18:14 am »
Awesome! This sounds like hard work. :thumleft:

Offline Pom17

• Cobus van der Merwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 09:18:31 am »
I don't really get it.

Man of his talent and skill should rather take a 300 and see if he can beat Jarvis, a much greater challenge - that is my humble opinion of course.

But good luck to him, a great guy and if someone can pull it off, it is probably him.

Birch is great, and has a lot of talent. But there is no way that he is competitive anymore. Guys like, Walker, Bolt, Roman, Jarvis, Young etc have upped the game to a whole new level since Birch has been racing.
Just no way he will be catching up with them. Same as Adam Riemann, great riders but not on the same level as the guys in the extreme enduro scene at the moment, so they cant make ends meet by other means and still get to do what they love

Offline Ryderod

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 09:24:29 am »
I don't really get it.

He is an amazingly talented rider but probably peaked a good few years ago, while he is constantly up there in the top 5 or so, I don't think he is able to challenge the current riders so possibly this is a great way to once again make headlines and get some more exposure? Great marketing strategy IMO
Dirty by nature!

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 09:33:03 am »
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 10:04:31 am »
so possibly this is a great way to once again make headlines and get some more exposure? Great marketing strategy

I think KTM pays him very well.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 10:08:24 am »
You guys are commenting on his change of competing style as if it is a bad thing.

I would like to disagree, other than Jarvis I don't know any of the other names. I also doubt if any of them have (except Jarvis) a higher revenue than Birch or Riemann. I also don't see any of them being invited to bike launces or any special events which I can only imagine as being awesome fun. I do not want to take anything away from the focussed competitors, but in my opinion the other approach these guys are taking to making a living living their passion, is much more sustainable as well as being diverse with continuously changing challenges.

Will there be youtube channels or a program or something where these guys can be followed, bike prep and maintenance and what challenges they had will be cool to follow
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 10:15:25 am »
I see Quinn Cody is going to be there as well, I wonder what he'll be riding? Is he also a KTM brand ambassador now? I know him as always being with Honda. Romaniacs should be a bit different to the Baja 1000  :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:34 am »
If they even complete this "Iron" class, the class should be scrapped from the Romaniacs to protect it's tough name.

Will the Boxer even make it in between the trees?

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 10:38:49 am »
 :imaposer:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200

Offline Pom17

• Cobus van der Merwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 10:56:47 am »
You guys are commenting on his change of competing style as if it is a bad thing.

I would like to disagree, other than Jarvis I don't know any of the other names. I also doubt if any of them have (except Jarvis) a higher revenue than Birch or Riemann. I also don't see any of them being invited to bike launces or any special events which I can only imagine as being awesome fun. I do not want to take anything away from the focussed competitors, but in my opinion the other approach these guys are taking to making a living living their passion, is much more sustainable as well as being diverse with continuously changing challenges.

Will there be youtube channels or a program or something where these guys can be followed, bike prep and maintenance and what challenges they had will be cool to follow

Not saying it is a bad thing at all, was just stating that he will no longer be competitive on the hard enduro scene after Motties comment.
Also think that what he is doing now is a more sustainable and stress free way of earning a living. Besides the fact that its an awesome way of making money  :ricky:

Offline Pom17

• Cobus van der Merwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:53 am »
If they even complete this "Iron" class, the class should be scrapped from the Romaniacs to protect it's tough name.

Will the Boxer even make it in between the trees?

Whether he finishes or not is irrelevant, news will be made and every newcomer buying a bike will want a 1090.

I am referring to the people who hear that you ride a 300 2T and then ask you why not a 1200GS  :imaposer:

Online Motties

• Was Darksider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 11:05:13 am »

Not saying it is a bad thing at all, was just stating that he will no longer be competitive on the hard enduro scene after Motties comment.
Also think that what he is doing now is a more sustainable and stress free way of earning a living. Besides the fact that its an awesome way of making money  :ricky:
I am not saying it is a bad thing, I was under the (obviously wrong) impression that he could still compete with the top guys and therefore found this to be a strange call.

'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 01:20:36 pm »
After all Chris Birch's video's of doing "plastics" trails on a 1190, I am surprised he did not simply enter the GOLD class. :pot: