Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meerkats in Nam - BEWARE  (Read 1297 times)

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: Meerkats in Nam - BEWARE
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 08:46:49 am »
Let's face it, standing on your bike does give you a big disadvantage in an emergency.

So, this law is for our own safety, like helmets etc.

Offline JK

• Please dont call me a
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 06:00:27 pm »
Eish i seriously hope this will not become the norm. I will then not visit Nam and will actively promote the stay away as far as i can  :dousing:
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline ChrisMann

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »
Eish i seriously hope this will not become the norm. I will then not visit Nam and will actively promote the stay away as far as i can  :dousing:

There are cops on power trips in every country in the world. Got a R1 000 fine in Nam for having a orange headlight protector on the bike. 

Pay, smile and wave. Still the best country in the world for gravel and off-road riding!   :ricky:
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:32 pm »
Let's face it, standing on your bike does give you a big disadvantage in an emergency.

:sip: Ok, when was the law proclaimed. In 1950 something or before or after, so at the time, it was like doing "tricks" on road orientated bikes and that was deemed a safety issue, did we have the dual purpose bikes, no, so we did not allow the ordinance to progress, It's our own fault, because the clubs or groups did not discuss the matter with the authorities. so they are stuck in that rut. Is it unsafe? No, I do not think so, I would say, and know it is safer to stand up when the going gets rough. But I must say I have seen riders of a certain brand to stand up when the going is not that rough ( like on .........)
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Fuck the ANC! and all that still support them
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 08:24:48 pm »

:sip: Ok, when was the law proclaimed. In 1950 something or before or after, so at the time, it was like doing "tricks" on road orientated bikes and that was deemed a safety issue, did we have the dual purpose bikes, no, so we did not allow the ordinance to progress, It's our own fault, because the clubs or groups did not discuss the matter with the authorities. so they are stuck in that rut. Is it unsafe? No, I do not think so, I would say, and know it is safer to stand up when the going gets rough. But I must say I have seen riders of a certain brand to stand up when the going is not that rough ( like on .........)

It's a recent law:
National Road Traffic Act, 1996
National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
309. Duties relating to motor cycle, motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle
1) No person shall drive a motor cycle, motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle on a public road unless his or her feet are resting on the front foot-rests suitable for the purpose and, where the design of such motor cycle, motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle makes it possible to do so, he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such motor cycle, motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle.

..... and I see no use standing on tar or average sand roads, especially not when going faster than say 40km/h, but when I'm about to hit a bump or dip, I do raise myself off the seat, more to soften the bump than anything else - just my opinion
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:25:49 pm by Bundu »

Offline Herklaas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:43 pm »
 :sip: F^(k me, only from 1996!, we have a traffic law (ordinance) what did we have before that? I am speechless!
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 08:42:16 pm »
:sip: F^(k me, only from 1996!, we have a traffic law (ordinance) what did we have before that? I am speechless!

erm.... I think that was added to whatever we had before at that stage

Offline Herklaas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 08:49:20 pm »
 :sip: What I'm saying is that incompetent people are sitting and peruse the law and no input is given and no comment is asked from the biking fraternity in order to update the requirements of the ordinance.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
:sip: What I'm saying is that incompetent people are sitting and peruse the law and no input is given and no comment is asked from the biking fraternity in order to update the requirements of the ordinance.

:sip:  :sip: so what would you suggest the law should say about standing whilst riding?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:27 pm »
Is it not incumbent on the riding training fraternity to engage authorities on a change to the laws (at least as far as it relates to riding on gravel) considering that they advocate or promote standing when riding as an important safety aspect?

Offline Herklaas

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:12 pm »
 :sip: Ahg, I'm giving up, let's just leave it, I'll stand up when I think I should, you chaps do as you think is tight by the law, full stop.  :3some:

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 09:02:19 pm »
Is it not incumbent on the riding training fraternity to engage authorities on a change to the laws (at least as far as it relates to riding on gravel) considering that they advocate or promote standing when riding as an important safety aspect?

I saw the below post by Johan Gray, that I see as a competent rider, on facebook and mostly agree with him, so I can't see any reason to change the present law?

Offline Herklaas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 09:04:59 pm »
 :sip: Un-fullstop, Ja-well-no-fine.  :spitcoffee:

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 09:07:51 pm »
Wat de fok se ek al vir julle vir jare en jare?? Julle maak my so doners moedeloos. :xxbah:

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »

Before that we had common sense. Any rider knew that standing gives you less control than sitting down on your bottompie.

Offline Herklaas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:18 pm »
 :sip: Oom Dan, nou het jy my platgeslaan.  :bueller:

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:10 pm »

Before that we had common sense. Any rider knew that standing gives you less control than sitting down on your bottompie.

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :thumleft:  miskien moet hulle maar die staan ding wettig? sal oor die langtermyn die I.K. verhoog  :pot:

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :thumleft:  miskien moet hulle maar die staan ding wettig? sal oor die langtermyn die I.K. verhoog  :pot:

Nee man, die COG. :pot:

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »

Nee man, die COG. :pot:

:imaposer: :imaposer: dit ook!!!!

Offline Herklaas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
 :sip: Nee, ek dink ons moet die wet hou soos dit is, (in nabetraging) die wereld is in elk geval "horribly over populated".  Hoe het daai ou gese? " I don't think we should kill stupid people, just remove the warning labels and let nature takes its course".