From Brandwater to Waterval-On the tracks of the Boere Pimpernel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armpie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
20mb image hosting

This Ride report is dedicated to the 5 OVS Artillerie Corps artillery horses that died at Modderfontein, 15km from Ventersdorp. 9th August 1900

The darkest day in my life was when I was 6 years old and my father told me we lost the Vryheidsoorlog.  I was devastated for a week.  The Anglo Boer war would become one of my many passions.  As would adventure motorbiking.  Me and the KLR.  The trusty workhorse.  And after this trip I would understand horses much better.

By July 1900, about 10 000 of the remaining Freestate Commandos were squeezed against the Maluti Mountains.  But not only the Maluti’s behind the Commando’s,  also surrounded by a  series of mountains on all sides.  In front of them to the west and south was the Witteberge.  To the north was the Roodeberg.  The area was known as the Brandwater Basin  And if the British knew what to do all the Commando’s would be cut off from escape.  This trip would follow the route of that month long escape.

20mb image hosting

Members of the Oranje Vrystaat Artillerie Corps "marsgereed".  In front Capt Muller, he would play an important role in the whole trek.