Routine maintenance: odd outcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull Grackle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Changed the air filter element in my 2007GS and pushed the starter button to see if everything was OK. Not OK. The engine turned over three times or so and just stopped. I had ridden it into the barn 15 minutes previously, so what could have changed in a quarter-hour? Had I left a rag in the airbox after wiping it out? Had I inadvertently loosened a critical connection? If so, what single connection on that part of the bike would kill it dead? Called a friend with lots of experience doing mechanical work on BMW's. He was mystified. I took everything apart again for a look-see. Aha! The fuel tank vent and drain lines were crimped. I took the air intake tube off and moved the lines back a bit and, shazzam! The bike started perfectly. The moral to the story? These lines are soft, too short and run between the side of the tank and the air intake tube. Properly installed they are still squeezed about half-way shut. If particular attention is not paid when fitting the tube the lines can be squeezed shut creating a vacuum lock. Dead bike. One of these days when I have absolutely nothing else to do, I might think about replacing the existing lines with slightly longer ones and rerouting them under and around the tube instead of of over and through the narrow gap between the tube and the tank.