Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: #mydaringadventure continues to Dakar 2020  (Read 10808 times)

Offline donovanwho

#mydaringadventure continues to Dakar 2020
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:31:28 pm »
Wild Dog Adventurers: Itís time to reveal - MY DARING ADVENTURE

For us mere mortals, our dreams are only a reality when we sleep. I have decided that itís time to live my dream by entering the most daring adventure possible, - Dakar 2018.
For the past 5 years I have been working towards the day when I have grown big enough balls to make this decision. Iím not there yet (big balls) but with the experience I have gained over the past few years in our local South African rallies, including West Coast Baja and Amageza, as well as the success of our own Dakar Hero Joey Evans, Iíve realised that anything is possible if you work hard and put your mind to it.

I have been in contact with A.S.O. (Amaury Sport Organisation) regarding my entry and submitted my rally portfolio. At this stage I entered based on my current experience which is 4 Amageza rallies and 2 WC Baja where I finished, all of them successfully without any mechanical issues, Malle Moto style.  A.S.O. cannot officially confirm 100% that I will make the entry list as I have not competed in a rally that is part of the FIM Cross-Country Rally World Championship but confirms that with my current experience and the fact that I have successfully finished all the rallies I have entered, I stand a good chance of being accepted.

The original plan was to enter the Merzouga Rally in Morocco, which gives you automatic entry into the Dakar if you complete the entire itinerary but with a R250K price tag, I have decided to put the faith in my current experience and use the R250K towards my Dakar funds. If A.S.O. denies my entry I will most likely enter the Rally OiLibya du Maroc, in Morocco in October, but Iíll cross that bridge when I get there.

With this being a daring adventure, and me being a person who likes to challenge myself, I will also enter the Dakar Rally Malle Moto style, for my first attempt, you might think that itís crazy but I believe itís the way to do it. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Regarding the bike: I personally do not think that a 450 Rally is the only bike that can finish the Dakar, I plan to do it with a 2017 Hasqvarna FE450 with a rally light setup as I know these FE bikes quite well mechanically, but to date, long range tanks are not available for these new models yet. I therefore decided to hire a bike in Europe. I have discussed support packages with teams but subsequently they do not hire bikes if you are not part of their team. This makes the decision on the bike more difficult. As I would like to enter the rally Malle Moto, the logistic will be a nightmare as this will be my first attempt. However I am working on a plan to get involved with a team to help with the logistics (flights, documentation, bike hire and transport thereof and then moral support), and carry my tyres during the rally. This part of the organisation is probably the most important - so besides raising the funds - this will be my key focus.

As I am just a normal guy with a big kickass dream, the funds to get to the Dakar are probably the biggest hurdle, - but I am committed to succeed. As only a handful of South Africans have attempted the Dakar and most of us dream and live the Dakar each year during those two weeks, my mission will be to get as much support from the South African people to sustain myself financially along with the rest of the RSA guys attempting the 40th addition of the Dakar.

I will be selling My Daring Adventure supportersí t-shirts, caps and jackets (available soon) to get the people involved and to help with raising funds. I also plan to introduce two fundraisers - in September and October - where I will raffle some goodies including my current rally bike (Husqvarna FE501); final details will be released when confirmed.

As I want the rally community and the larger community of Dakar enthusiasts in South Africa to get involved with my journey towards reaching Dakar, I also want them to ride with me, Gerrit (Du Toit) does Amageza had selfies of his fans; Joey Evans had the names of his supporters on his bike. For a small donation, I will add your signature on my bike.
Every cent will help me claw my way to the starting line in January 2018!

I will provide updates on my progress here as often as possible. Please follow me on:

Facebook: - My Daring Adventure Donovan2Dakar

Instagram: - @mydaringadventure_dakar_2018

Thanks for the support and PM me if you can help with anything.
Donovan

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:22:57 am by donovanwho »

Offline donovanwho

Re: My Daring Adventure - Donovan2Dakar 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:50:25 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisMann

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »
Fantastic Donovan! Hope you get your entry letter from ASO soon.  :thumleft:
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:35 am »
Nice work Donnie! We're all wishing you luck. By the way, there is a 17.5l IMS tank for the 2017 now, and I'm sure you could get a Safari rear tank to fit, which would mean 27l, so don't give up on that option if it's the only one you have.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:08:40 am »
Lekker man Donovan! Ons hou duim vas vir daai entry.

Groete
Charl duP
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline rubiblue

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:17 am »
Awesome Donovan. Big up for making the final call and committing, I feel my turn is not far off. All the best with the fund raising etc. You are an yster, dakar watchout!
Past; PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80,KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS
Current; KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline SteveD

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:25:31 am »
Awesome!
I would seriously consider forking out the extra to get team support rather than try Malle Moto. I think ASO will be less likely to give you an entry if you are Malle Moto, with limited international rallye experience.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:48:28 am »
Sub  :thumleft:

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:51:20 am »
Lekker Donovan !
Strekte  (your malas moto marshal Amageza 2016 , etc.)

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »
Voorspoed

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 03:20:32 pm »
Good Luck!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline aka.Goliath

My Daring Adventure - Donovan2Dakar 2018
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 04:34:45 pm »
Awesome stuff. I always like to support the locals guys who are doing there dream and not only the top boys. I'm eagerly awaiting to order my T-shirt and cap.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:35:56 pm by aka.Goliath »
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 01:55:39 pm »
Brilliant Stuff Donny, have been waiting for you to make this announcement here :thumleft:

Get hold of Manuel Luchesse, who is a master of doing the Dakar your style. Nice Italian chap who speaks good English. I think he is the only guy I know who entered malle moto the first time and got the place. Did it on a shoestring, bumming just about everything off other teams when he was there. Hence his nickname to many of us is Manny Shoestring :imaposer: He has done a couple of great videos on prepping for Dakar on youtube. Also, he worked with the orga one year, so he has the contacts which I am thinking you will need as a first time Malle moto entrant. :deal:

Thread stickied.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 10:55:44 pm »
With the Merzouga around the corner and me not on the starting line :(, I am keeping myself busy (focused) getting some saddle time on the single tracks in Atlantis, a 30km loop fairly whoopie (60%) and nice fast sandy sections in the end, the hot conditions here in Cape Town makes 2 laps very interesting, testing the fitness, getting there slowly

Check out/Like my Facebook page (My Daring Adventure) for some Videos, (weeti hoe om hulle hier te laai nie)

cjorts

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:06 pm »
Loaded onto Youtube (being very creative over this long weekend)

https://youtu.be/GT40aCMBfUI (Trailing the Ellis Brothers, trying to keep up)

https://youtu.be/XURtEVWYYSE (Shredding Atlantis)

https://youtu.be/jbVEcDU3p0s (West Coast Baja Prologue 2017)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:13 pm »
I'm single and with few responsibilities, so anytime you need a pit bitch, timekeeper, spanned swinger or shuttle bunny, shout.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:17:57 pm by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:54 pm »
AWSUM DONOVAN...will keep watching good luck with prep..
Go Girl

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline Rokie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:05 pm »
Rock On Donovan! You've totally got what it takes! I wrote this on the West Coast Baja thread:
"you know, the keyboard fraternity (like me) are the leaches that want the brave okes to announce and chase and fulfil their Dakar dreams . . .
hopefully our (sometimes desperate) desire to share in the toil and the struggle also provides some inspiration to spur you on as we quietly shout "come on!" in our hungry hearts"

PM sent
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Online Rynet

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 08:45:31 pm »
Wild Dog Adventurers: Itís time to reveal - MY DARING ADVENTURE

Iíve realised that anything is possible if you work hard and put your mind to it.

With this being a daring adventure, and me being a person who likes to challenge myself, I will also enter the Dakar Rally Malle Moto style, for my first attempt, you might think that itís crazy but I believe itís the way to do it. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Donovan

If anyone can do it Malle Moto 1st time, it will be you Donovan.   :thumleft: 

You are a skilled , frearless rider, but most of all you have the right attitude , the unshaken belief that you can do it  , passion , determination and grit.  oh and youth .  :biggrin:
With you on this Journey.  :ricky:

Offline Ross Riddle

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:35 pm »
That is awesome news and wishing you best of luck.
I was under the impression that you are not allowed to do your first Dakar Malle Moto? I maybe wrong.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion