Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: #mydaringadventure continues to Dakar 2020  (Read 13257 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: My Daring Adventure - Donovan2Dakar 2018
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2018, 01:34:07 am »
Thats a lekker interview Donovan. Thanks for sharing it.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2018, 05:14:19 pm »
Look at that..... puts the presure on for going back for more. #mydaringadventure.20 sounds not to bad

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2018, 05:17:46 pm »
The story behind the story.

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2018, 10:13:43 am »
https://youtu.be/Gx_eaDvjpwQ

Offline donovanwho

Offline donovanwho

Re: #mydaringadventure continues to Dakar 2020
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2019, 05:27:58 am »
the dream continues

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2019, 05:38:35 pm »
Excellent. Game on proper. Good luck.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2019, 05:51:30 am »
#mydaringadventure 2.0 – the journey continues to Dakar 2020

Dakar – a journey for those that dream and an adventure for those that dare.

In 2018 I finished the Dakar in the “original – by Motul” class as a rookie competitor; placing in the top ten in my class I proved to myself and the world that dreams do come true!
Fast forward some 14 months later and the effect from this finish, the ultimate feeling of achieving your dream is still with me, burning brighter than ever.

Although I competed in the Dakar on my own, in the most extreme format - completely unassisted in the Original Malle Moto class, I know that it was the team behind me that got me to the start. Even now 14 months later I know that I would never have been able to complete every one of those 9000 Kilometers had it not been for those who backed me in 2018! The real hero’s of my adventure are those that supported me. People like you who contributed in whatever way they could manage where the ones who I owe my success to.

Last year the Dakar focused on the tough and unforgiving sand dunes in Peru (the Dakar I completed stitched together three countries namely, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina) It proved to be one of the most exciting Dakar yet. I had serious FOMO not competing and watching it on television I knew that I had to give it more shot in the Original Malle Moto class. I am convinced that I can do better with the experience behind me.
I know now that hard work, pain and failure are followed by success.
I am willing to put in the hard work again, I am willing to endure the pain again, I know that I can succeed and I know that I need each and every one of you as my teammates. As my Dakar in 2018 proved, “Its teamwork that makes the dream work”

Dakar 2018 – A recap

It started with a dream for me; the appeal lay in the challenge. Few had ever attempted it and far fewer had succeeded, this for me became the ultimate daring adventure.
The project kicked off for me in 2017, I had to commit a year before in order to prepare myself thoroughly. Through the year I focused on the goal ahead so intently that I did not live in the present, the preparations become all-consuming, the unknown of what lay ahead meant me devoting all my energy to prepare myself for any eventuality.
This weighed in heavily with me over the course of the year but I pushed on, all that mattered to me was to fight the odds and get to that start line. Whoever said that planning for an event like this would be easy must be mad. It was everything but easy. When I first started my preparations I can honestly say that knew my chances of success where fifty-fifty, I did not admit it at the time but looking back I can share this with you that I had my doubts. Need-less to say I pushed on and reached the start line.
Arriving at the Dakar I saw it for the Monster that it was, the terrain was intimidating, the competition was unforgiving and once that clock started there was no going back. Each and every day was a fight for me, I was running on pure adrenaline and it took all my strength, will-power and courage to complete the race. Through all of this, I may not have had the biggest smile but I was still smiling, the reason for this is that I was living my dream and had dared to complete my biggest adventure.
When I eventually crossed the finish line, I thought of two things. How blessed I was to have the love and support of so many good people around me that got me to the point where I was and secondly that I could do better, I knew a podium finish was within my grasp and that I HAD to come back and give it one more shot.
I had discovered what was possible by attempting the impossible and that nothing happens unless you make it happen.

Chasing a dream is a lonely pursuit, once all that is said and done it’s me that am on that start line and it’s me riding alone daily. The thing that kept me going was the thought of my friends and family that pulled through, pitched in and got me to the start line… every day was a fight, a fight to the finish and I did it for my supporters.

Going back for seconds……. Dakar 2020

Having been through one Dakar you would think I have had enough, this is not the case. I want more.
My dream, my daring adventure is still alive.
Dakar 2018 was incredibly tough on my mind, body, and spirit, but now that I know what it takes I know I can do better. I placed in top ten as a rookie and I know that if I go back a podium finish in the world’s toughest motorsport race is within my reach.

I know it is within my reach as I have tried and tested myself and I know my limits now. I know where my weaknesses and strengths are and I am using this time to prepare myself to take on this adventure again. There is an old racing mantra that goes like this, “To finish first you have to first finish”, my goal in 2020 will be to do both.
I will have to endure a lot of sacrifices in the next year as I prepare myself. As a privateer and average Joe without any factory race team backing me the financial burden itself will test me to my limits. The training will push me to my limits, the preparation and logistics required will push me to my limits, but I am ready and willing to tackle this 100% head-on and give everything I have to realize my dream.
The year ahead is going to be tough and that is why I need your support, if you love motorsport and racing and always wanted to test yourself but you cannot, I invite you to join me and we will do it together. With you as my backup, we will tackle this ultimate adventure together, I am willing to put everything on the line to do this, quitting is not an option for me but I can’t do it without each and every one of you. I invite you to join team #mydaringadventure 2.0 let’s do this, together, once and for all let's climb that podium step together.

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2019, 06:32:28 am »
Super stoked for you Donavan. I certainly will be part of the team supporting you and living the race through you. Good luck.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2019, 07:50:42 am »
Go Donny 2020 !!!
The older I get the faster I was

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2019, 06:40:18 pm »
All the best Donny!

Give it horns and go for gold.
PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80, DT50, KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS, KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2019, 08:06:41 pm »
Best of luck Donovan-will support somehow somewhere
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2019, 10:28:07 pm »
4 months to go..... officially got my first "o fok" for Dakar 2020, I have been so relaxed over the past few months and today, I just woke up in a cold sweat, not knowing where to run to. Although I know where and what, it's still intimidating, this whole struggle to make this daring adventure once again a reality.

Let's start fundraising they say............

My first batch of #mydaringadventure apparel has arrived and the feedback is pretty good. I have changed it up a bit this year with some options in colors.

Buffs in blue, yellow and red @ R250 ea

Shirts in XS to 3XL @ R350 ea

Caps various colors @ R300 ea

and then,,,,,,,

I have these 2 awesome Raffles, a TREK Carbon MTB and a 1934 Hotrod up for grabs for showing your support. (go big or stay home)

pay by snapscan or EFT with ref:  your name and cell no.

Your support is appreciated

cheer

Donnydakar.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2019, 09:57:16 am »
Very impressive stock you have there Donny. The quality looks even better than before.

Maybe I should get a red cap , or maybe black one ..... to go with the Hot Rod I will be winning.  :biggrin:

All the best and we know you can ride. At the very least you know you are one of those special people that can just pitch up at the start line of the Dakar and just turn on the ignition and finish . We know you will style this. You are a natural athlete with a cool head and solid endurance and bravery.  :3some:

Go Donny  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Let's support Donny and the merchandise is really cool too .  And some very rich rewards this year to some lucky winners of the raffle . 8)

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2019, 07:26:27 am »
@Rynet sorry to let you down brother but the caps are the only thing you will be getting as the hot rod and bicycle will be in my garage :ricky: :ricky:
On a serious note though Don needs as much support as we can generate.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2019, 03:27:00 pm »
@Rynet sorry to let you down brother but the caps are the only thing you will be getting as the hot rod and bicycle will be in my garage :ricky: :ricky:
On a serious note though Don needs as much support as we can generate.

RR - Rynet would be your sister not your brother.  :3some: :biggrin:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2019, 05:29:33 pm »
 :thumleft:

Entered for the bicycle.

Best of luck on your adventure!  :ricky:

Offline Rooi Wolf

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Op die Hantam hoogtes..
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2019, 05:34:21 am »
All the best Donovan, may te force be with you!!

What qualifier(s) will you be doing before the DAKAR?

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2019, 01:17:07 pm »
All the best Donovan, may te force be with you!!

What qualifier(s) will you be doing before the DAKAR?

no need to qualify as I have competed in a previous Dakar already :) 2018
for the first one, I was lucky to qualify with 5 amageza rallies, finished them all unsupported which gave me the entry I think.

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2019, 02:25:03 pm »
when we ride there is always a risk, most of the times we walk away, not this time.
luckily nothing serious but out for 6 weeks.
assessing the situation...... most will start thinking of withdrawing from the Daker, for me jus another hurdle on my way to another spectacle, I must admit that it is frightening,  at least I know what I am in for.
I look at it this way.... a nice rest period, just keeping the fitness in order until the cast comes off the end of October, then its 6 weeks of mayhem getting strong, hopefully, this will make me more focussed and better pre-paired towards the end of December when I leave to Saudi.

still, init to win it :thumleft:

Oja, MTB raffle on Friday, still plenty of tickets left. pls support.

cheers for now.