Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: #mydaringadventure continues to Dakar 2020  (Read 11803 times)

Offline donovanwho

Re: My Daring Adventure - Donovan2Dakar 2018
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:09 pm »
And here is she, last bits of prep before leaving for Dakar, I will be Flying (malle moto, solo) to Paris on the 21st to attend the Official Dakar Presentation on the 22, meet up with the other #originalsbymotul (malle moto) competitors and meet some Aliens (Dakar Legends) I will also travel to Le Havre to meet up with the Bass Truck Team on the 23, I am renting this beast from them and I will be traveling with them before and after the Dakar. They will load my and the Teams bikes and assistant vehicles on the boat that will  ship the Dakar convoy to Peru for the start of the Dakar on the 6th of Jan 2018, I will then return to SA on the 25th. Why not experience the full flight of the Dakar, this is #mydaringadventure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2017, 01:57:19 am »
Shit getting really real right now. You must be so excited Donny! :ricky:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2017, 03:24:14 am »
GO DONNY YOU YSTER !!!!

YOU CAN DO IT !!!
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Jovan

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2017, 05:20:31 am »
Good luck!

Offline P.K.

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
Donovan...good luck with the loading and logistcs..ENJOY !!

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2017, 02:39:39 pm »
Wow ! time flies . . .
I'm sure that your Malle Moto mind has kicked in ?
Sterkte ! and enjoy  . .  .

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
en toe??
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2017, 02:44:14 pm »
Sitting on the bus on the way to the airport after a very unsuccessful Eiffel tower expedition, later about that. Yip I had 3 very exciting days of Dakar business. I will say this, its huge and everything is in place and organized, ASO are the business. Landed Wednesday morning in Paris @ 7am and had to make my way straight to the Presentation that started at 10am,I had my public transport route planned but decided to take a taxi as I had my spare wheels and some spares with me witch I had to to take to Le Havre to give to the Malle Moto guys, ended up very expensive but was probably worth it.

I arrived at the Presentation venue with plenty of time to spare and used their lovely restroom the freshen up a bit, yip, not a-lot of sleep the previous day due to all the excitement and of course the flight. The entrance of the venue had all these cars from previous Dakarís on display, a-lot have changed over the years but the old cars have some magical history of the dakar back in Africa.

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »
We as malle moto competitors, now known as the Originals by Motul, planned to meet before 10am to take a group photo with the Sponsor of this class, MOTUL Lubricants and no other than Marc Coma, the Sporting Director and 5x Champion. We are 28 competitors in the Original by Motul class this year.
Only 4 of us made it in time for the photo, to the left of Marc is Oliver Pain, a top 20 rider in his 11th Dakar.
And guess what, none of them can speak English.

And on display at the entrance is the winning trophy for Dakar2018 40th edition, I couldnít resist .

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2017, 03:13:02 pm »
Also on display.... some eye candy

And some inspiring phrases to think about

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2017, 03:57:51 pm »
Its time for the presentation, 3/4 of the hall was filled with media and sponsors. This photo does not do the  magnitude of the event justice, I just had to be in a pic with plenty of people LOL

The whole of the presentation was in French and Spanish, I could only understand when  they said Dakar in every third sentence, so I just followed the screen which had sone pictures displayed, I noticed that a-lot of the people had head phones on and didnít though much about it until I realized have way trough the presentation that they are translating to English and you could get a pair of head phones from the media corner,  I was to late for a pair, now I know for next time.

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2017, 04:02:25 pm »
The Route, gonna be some long days towards the end of the Rally

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2017, 04:05:31 pm »

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:20 pm »
After the presentation we had a chance to meet and great all the big guns but it was chaos as al the media swamped all the Dakar Legends, I had a quick bite to eat, fancy finger foods, and headed off as I had to travel to Le Havre 200km East where I decided to overnight. My convocation was at 9am the following day and  traveling from Paris to Le Havre  takes over 2 hours with the train, and I didnít want to be late.

Once again public transport cost a-lot of money but I am living a dream and a taxi ride ant gonna make me bankrupt At least the Taxi had wifi so that I could send a Ok msg to my darling wife.

Yip and then the trains are on time and in a good condition with everybody abiding the rules, makes you think about the state of ours.

Le Havre is a coastal town which has a big ass harbor, quiet a-lot of young people, clean streets and plenty of restaurants to pic from, yip and nobody speaks english, which suck again. Went for a long walk just to recap my day which was filled with Dakar.

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2017, 05:39:59 pm »
This is why I paid the money to come to France, meeting my rally bike, prepped by Bart from the Bass Dakar team, for the first time. Fellow Dakar competitors Willem and Gerry are in the Bass Dakar team and their teams bikes would also be going trough pre-scrutineering to be loaded onto the boat for shipping to Peru. I was up early and ready to go, breakfast done and called on a taxi expecting a-lot of morning traffic, but to my surprise nothing, this was just after 8, no traffic, none, nada, fokol. But I was to excited and we were off, 10km down the road I started to see the Dakar signs on the lamp posts directing to Hanger 122, it was an Eye opener, trucks and trucks and more trucks with racing trucks on the back, trailers with cars and bikes all over the place, its huge.

The Bass Dakar team ran a bit late as they drove all the way from Holland, sounds far but actually just around the corner, 600km away.
I could not wait and made my way to checkpoint 1.
Sign in here, yo but is a good feeling when they find your name amongst 550 competitors, no 125.

Step 2 Here they are looking for your license and registration of your race machine, luckily I had my copies on my phone as Bart and team have not arrived yet. Here I ran into Xavier who is the Competitor Director for Dakar, we met at the Dessert 1000 in the middle of the year when I was still uncertain about my entry. I must have made an impact then because he remembered who I was. Another awesome feeing.

Step 3 - I could not do this step as I had to have the packing list for my bike and spares for the customs, so I skipped this step and moved on.

Did I mention that you get a booklet with all the activities that you had to perform and gets stamped at each station.

Step 4 - collect your ERTF GPS and Marlink irritrack and Balise(emergency device), you had to pay a deposit (Ä3200) to receive these items, if you break them you pay them, they keep you save and trackable on the routes at Dakar.

Back to step 3 after I met with Bart to get the last of my paperwork sorted and with the equipment in hand I set of to go meet my bike. What a feeling, it sommer started to rain. It had my name on it.

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2017, 05:52:46 pm »
The rain did not stop us and we started the fit the ERTF Gps unit, this is the unit on the handle bars, the Irritrack unit is the blue box on the side of the nav tower, the wiring and brackets must be done before hand ready to fit the units, the Balise is a sort of Panic button, if you press that red button your race is over, the yellow sticker indicates where to find it if another competitor has to press it for you in an emergency.

With the units installed we can now go and do the physical testing of them with the officials and stamp them ready to race

Offline donovanwho

« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2017, 06:26:09 pm »
The prep on these machines are top class, just looking at the finer details, you can see that time has been spend on getting them ready for Dakar, I am so glad that I made the decision to get a bike prepped by Bart, my gut feeling says that if I do not crash this bike to pieces it will easy make the finish line.

It started first time and I was of for the technical checks. Firstly they check the GPs for signal and if the sentinel (alarm warning device) that works with the gps works correctly, once checked you get another stamp from the ERTF technicians.

All the bikes in line for the technical checks.

This guy Checking my irritrack, all good.

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »
This is fantastic to see all of this business, Donovan. Thanks for taking all the time and trouble to post this stuff. Normally we only see the race as it starts in South America, so all this background and preliminary detail fills out the story for us. All the best!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »
This is fantastic to see all of this business, Donovan. Thanks for taking all the time and trouble to post this stuff. Normally we only see the race as it starts in South America, so all this background and preliminary detail fills out the story for us. All the best!

+1 :thumleft:

Donovan can I ask what is in the Balise bag? Is that a 1st aid kit?
Also what do they do about the batteries on the bike when it is shipped? Curious to know if they have had a lot of issues with that, and if they have spares (I suppose they do). I know I did on my home prepped race bike when shipping.

Offline lpj

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2017, 06:01:52 pm »
Cheers Donovan, thanks for taking the time. 40 days and counting...