Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Oasis-Sutherland on the Purple Hooligan: Better stick to gravel, dear...  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
So I enjoyed the trip thus far with my two companions very much. In spite of the accident and other minor niggles, it was really enjoyable and fun. But now it was time to be on my own, and I went further into the Karoo and along the West Coast while Ri and Pierre went back home.

I have made a 3 minute movie from the photos and footage from all three of us, as a sort of a summary of the trip. It will be posted here in due time.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYzgnI2WG4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYzgnI2WG4</a>

Some nice photo's at the end there  :o
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline keithk

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Ri thank you for an eventful RR I am sure you will feel a lot more confident on a long ride with Mr Done-And-Dusted now that he has completed his apprenticeship in"running repair"(ship)  :) Respect for picking up the pieces after your slight mishap with the jetta and finishing your trip. Very happy it all ended safely . :thumleft:
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)

Offline walkaboutboertjie

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Yammie TTR250
Lekker RR Ri, was a good read indeed.   :thumleft:
Coincidentally met Pierre at the Zuma Must Fall march early April - we started chatting bike when I saw his Dizzer (minus the hedgehog spikes).  He mentioned the trip you guys did, and here I stumbled across it by chance now - and what an awesome read.  Glad that fall was not more serious.     

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
Lekker RR Ri, was a good read indeed.   :thumleft:
Coincidentally met Pierre at the Zuma Must Fall march early April - we started chatting bike when I saw his Dizzer (minus the hedgehog spikes).  He mentioned the trip you guys did, and here I stumbled across it by chance now - and what an awesome read.  Glad that fall was not more serious.     

Hehe pretty much how I started chatting with Pierre outside Flying Brick - that Dizzer is indeed eye catching, especially at night.

Thanks, I'm very grateful too; and you know what they say about kakiebos  :biggrin:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Dustbin Dog

Entertaining report and cool photos Ri, glad your are ok.  :thumleft:
Yamaha XT500 / Montesa 250 King Scorpion
Suzuki GSX 1100
Ducati 900 MHR
BMW R100RS
Current BMW R1200GS

Offline Skolla

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
Very nice RR,Ri, after a close shave you still press on,very good  :thumleft:

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"

... :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Great RR Ri.
I have to ask ...do you take notes along the way or do you just have one of those memories ?
Hell you remember so much detail from your trips. I am jealous

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
Great RR Ri.
I have to ask ...do you take notes along the way or do you just have one of those memories ?
Hell you remember so much detail from your trips. I am jealous

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Thanks McSack :thumleft:

In general my memory is poor - preoccupied with work stuff.
On a ride though I notice lots of detail, and although I don't take notes, I take lots of photo's that bring back memories. But I couldn't tell you most of roads we took, or the names of places we stopped, unless I took a photo or made a note of it.

Maybe try making voice memos. If I did a month long trip like you did, criss-crossing SA, the forum might crash from the RR  :lol8:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
Ri thank you for an eventful RR I am sure you will feel a lot more confident on a long ride with Mr Done-And-Dusted now that he has completed his apprenticeship in"running repair"(ship)  :) Respect for picking up the pieces after your slight mishap with the jetta and finishing your trip. Very happy it all ended safely . :thumleft:

For sure, he got his whole bike home in one piece! :thumleft: It's great if you can DIY your own solutions.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Very nice RR, Ri!

Much respect for you on completing your trip after going toe-to toe with the VW, most riders would've folded like a cheap lawn chair and headed back home!

I’m da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
Very nice RR, Ri!

Much respect for you on completing your trip after going toe-to toe with the VW, most riders would've folded like a cheap lawn chair and headed back home!

Thanks, but the bike was fine and I wasn't broken (much). I was delighted I could carry on. I'd really been looking forward to the trip: Ouberg Pass was on my wishlist, as well as the pass from Sutherland to Merweville (which we had to skip).

My mom was a theatre sister and had no patience or mercy for us; maybe because she had to deal with people who *really* had problems. If we had a complaint she told us to drink water, or gave us meds that had expired and were probably either ineffective or made things worse. So we learnt to suck it up, it's not that bad. :imaposer:

Offline Oilspill

Hey Ri, what a lovely ride report, you write beautifully and what a laugh it must be to live in your head. This is a great inspiration to take the time to capture the memory with  lots of photos. You  must do more of them and shout when you feel like another long ride,  I will happily waddle along beside you on Kitty, hey maybe even the Irish Lass can join us if we are taking it at sane speeds. 

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
Hey Ri, what a lovely ride report, you write beautifully and what a laugh it must be to live in your head. This is a great inspiration to take the time to capture the memory with  lots of photos. You  must do more of them and shout when you feel like another long ride,  I will happily waddle along beside you on Kitty, hey maybe even the Irish Lass can join us if we are taking it at sane speeds.

Oh you know it!! :laughing4:  Thank you for the kind words :)

I always want to do long trips, but I don't really know where to go. Doing a trip with you and the Irish Lass would be awesome! - I'm going to keep you to your offer :ricky: