Oasis-Sutherland on the Purple Hooligan: Better stick to gravel, dear...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Since the Hooligan's organ transplant surgery in July 2016, I've been grabbing any opportunity to ride it. There were some small rides on Saturdays and a longer ride here and there, but I was yearning for a more.

I mentioned this to Eikeboom, who was part of the group to Koedoeskloof Thumper Bash in August 2016. He said he was thinking of an overnighter to Oasis the weekend after the WC Bash. We looked for a few other riders and suddenly a road trip was born! The trip expanded from an overnighter to a weekender, taking in Oasis, Sutherland, Merweville, from I would head home, and for Eikeboom another day riding home along the West Coast. I would have loved to join him but I'm a contractor, and no work no pay  :-[

The third member of our group did enduro and cross country on his KDX200 before, and had only recently gotten a DRZ400. This would be his first long trip, and he had made up his own luggage plate and support struts for the DRZ. He would only be joining us as far as Sutherland, from where he planned to go home.

We would be 2 x DR650 and 1 x DRZ400. Our route was planned and our camping spaces booked. It would be a bit hectic - Bellville to Oasis on Friday afternoon, Oasis to Merweville on Saturday, and Merweville to Kuilsrivier on Sunday, around 400+ kms each the last two days. But as I’m fond of saying (and my co-riders fear hearing as they end up picking up the pieces), how bad can it be? … It can be bad :eek:

All images courtesy of the very nice "old" camera gifted me by Tom Van Brits when he got his superb new camera and took his photography to the next level :thumleft: