Gearing change - XRL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So the stock 15/45 combo was up for replacement and decided in the name of sanity to upgrade to a 14/40 combo, effectively dropping 2t from rear compared to the stock gearing combo. Popped into Runners shop and picked up a EK520 chain + some other eye candy, already had the sprockets from previous visits  ;D I had the XRR 14t front sprocket machined a while back by 2mm for a snug fit onto the shaft and fitted the combo during the week, but only managed to test yesterday.

Must say WELL worth the money and a great overall improvement in rideability...... :thumleft: Previously at 120 I had not much left ito legs although could hit 140 easily when needed, but sustained cruising at anything higher than say 130 felt a bit strained. Now the bike can run to 120 easily in 4th and can pull strongly in 5th which makes open road riding and overtaking much easier... the bike just feels better overall, so a worthy change in my opinion. In town it also feels great with less gear changes required.

Must add I also run a Dynojet kit with slight airbox mod, Unifilter and open snorkel, so enough power there to handle the gearing. Only thing I still want to do is upgrade the bottom slider foot to a roller, but will attend to that in near future....