Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: rapid bike add on module  (Read 976 times)

Offline emperor zog

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
rapid bike add on module
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:43:40 pm »
OK, much as I love my Africa Twin CRF 1000 I've always felt it lacking slightly in final power, like it needed another 10HP or so. I read with interest the report on ZA Bikers on the Rapid Bike add on module which they added to their Africa Twin and the results thereof. Very impressive sounding. So I did the research and liked what I was reading. Then read that Fire-IT-Up in Jhb had acquired the SA agency for Rapid Bike from Dimsport (Italy). So I contacted Craig Langton at Fire-It -Up who has given me amazing service, and he sent a unit down to me. I have installed it, not without some teething problems. Bike up and running. This has transformed the bike, giving it the kick in the pants that it needed. The Rapid Bike module is designed to eliminate torque and power gaps at low and medium rpm"s and that is exactly what it does. The power delivery now is instantaneous and particularly in midrange is progressive and unyielding, just keeps on coming. It has given the bike bite and a sense of urgency and for me has transformed the riding experience. Its punted as a plug and play but I think that's oversimplifying it as its quite a fiddle and tricky to get to the various sensors and requires removal of the fuel tank amounts others. For me it was quite a learning curve but had the great advantage of teaching me more about the bike. The sensors involved are the TPS (throttle position sensor), the O 2 sensor, crankshaft sensor and fuel injector sensor. My advice if you plan to install yourself is to first discuss with someone who has done it. The Rapid Bike module has too many features to go through here so look it up if you're interested. I can highly recommend it, but its not cheap, just shy of 7K.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Re: rapid bike add on module
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:39:50 pm »
Or you can fit an Accelerator Module at less than 1/3rd of the price. Plug 'n play, doesn't interfere with the new EU4 tampering light. Hijack off.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline emperor zog

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »
The two are simply not comparable. Rapid bike is monitoring a min of 4 inputs continuously on an ongoing basis and producing an adaptive map based on these parameters and the riding style and mode etc. It changes continuously and adjusts accordingly.

Offline Bwana

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:15:02 pm »
Hi was a new O2 sensor supplied as I believe the existing O2 sensor is always going to monitor your power no matter what you do to your exhaust. Unless the new ECU calibrates it differently. 

Offline Dux

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:21:23 pm »
The lambda sensor measures the level of O2 in the exhaust gasses , from this can be determined if the system is running rich or lean and the fuelling can be altered to provide the optimum setting . The problem with the original black boxes is that they have very limited parameters which something like a Power commander for example can override and give the systems a wider range of parameters for improved performance . I presume that the Rapid Bike system is doing pretty much the same .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Bwana

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:22:46 am »
Hi Dux
You are right the Lambda sensor or O2 sensor as Honda call it also sends the signal to the ECU to lean out or enrich the mixture. However in Marine we find the Parameters are preset and the 02 sensor in conjunction with the ECU are programmed to run the engine as lean as possible for fuel saving. So power is pretty much restricted no matter what mods you do. We find old fuel and if you change ECU for slightly richer mixture we blow the O2 sensor.

Offline Dux

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:44 pm »
The sensor is just a sensor and traces the amount of O2 in the exhaust gasses , so from that point of view the sensor itself cannot be programmed , but the electronic control unit ( black box / CDI /ignition unit ) has the preset parameters , these parameters are very limited to meet emission controls so in other words more on the lean side  , the Power commander really gives a much larger range of parameters so the system will deliver a richer mixture .
If you can imagine a carburettor with non adjustable jets as being the original system while another carburettor where the jets can be replaced to suit specific conditions as being a Power commander unit .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Bwana

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:33 pm »
Cool so you have to have a power commander or reset ECU?

Offline Dux

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 05:12:30 pm »
Pretty much , I will read up on the Rapid bike system and revert to you
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 10:58:39 pm »
Hi emperor zog,
You did not by any change get a dyno readout with before and after graphs?

Offline emperor zog

• Pack Dog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 11:28:26 am »
To answer some questions: the O2 sensor is not changed, it is reconnected  via a new plug in harness to the add on ECU. it does not measure power, it measures O2 in the exhaust gases and in conjunction with the other inputs, the add on ECU makes the appropriate fuel/ air adjustment according its adaptive map and presets and sends the appropriate signal to the OEM ECU. And no, I did not do pre and post Dyno read outs as I did the job myself but if you check out the rapid bike website you will find an example.

Offline Advrider

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 08:33:25 am »
What a product.  :ricky:
Live to ride, Love to adventure, Ride for Jesus...