Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha TTR 250 or DR-Z 400 for long trips  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Semmy

Yamaha TTR 250 or DR-Z 400 for long trips
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:28:44 pm »
Hello Guys,
So im quite new here, ill be arriving in Cape Town in 7 Weeks. Looking for the Ideal Adventure Bike for me! My last Ride (3500 Km on Sumatra) that got me into Adv Riding was on a 150cc Naked Bike (you got to start somewhere ey?)
My Trip will go from Cape Town to Namibia, Botswana, Simbabwe and Mosambique. So it will be quite the journey! :)
After looking for a while, my Eyes are on a  TTR 250, or maybe a DR-Z 400 for the extra power. I've been juggeling with the for and againsts. Yes the TTR 250 is more reliable and your behind does not get sore after a while, but with  110 km/h on a highway, i feel like its not enough. ::)
I heard it's better to start off-roading with less power, but i don't want to be bored when it comes to long and dulll passages.  ;D
I  weight 75kgs and the Trip will take 2-3 Months.
Maybe you know the roads better, and can tell me if 110 km/h are going to be good, or if it would be nice to go 140 km/h.
Cheers, and looking forward to ride with you all!
Semmy

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: Yamaha TTR 250 or DR-Z 400 for long trips
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:57:28 pm »
DR 650

Offline Buddy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:07:47 pm »
Parts availability would also be a consideration in the decision. I reckon parts for the Yamaha would be better than for the DR-Z 400  :peepwall:

Kykdaar has a good recommended alternative
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Semmy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
Sorry forgot to mention a budget of 30000 - 35000 ..... Wont be easy to find a good DR 650 for that price :/ and too heavy, if i want to use it for easy offroading too.... Choice was between those two bikes because they are light :)

Offline Semmy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:48:00 pm »
And Buddy,
thanks for that feedback, thats the stuff that could lead me towards a bike! :)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:00:18 pm »
Depends how much time you've got to look for a bike before leaving. To be honest, at that budget and a long trip coming I'd far rather set a list of bikes and choose the best option I get in the price range. Go for condition, solid history and low miles above all else. We took a novice friend who had hardly been on a bike around a pretty hectic Angola trip on a DR. They're capable, and probably the best budget all rounder available.

But R30-35k is tight. There are DRZs but be very careful which one you buy - a lot have been abused and it's getting hard to find a nice one. I don't have experience with the TTR, but one did the Amageza rally with us - they're very capable. Even KLRs can be had for that money - big brawny donkeys, yes, but also capable and good for a long trip.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »
Hi Semmy I will also go for a DR650. Unless you do the gnarly back roads a DR650 will be just fine. TTR 250 is going to become tiresome on long stretches and a DRZ you need to keep an eye on the oil when doing long sections at 120 km/h. If you have lots of time and plan on doing 300km more or less a day then a TTR will cope just fine. Just avoid the highways.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:24:47 pm »
TTR or DR-Z I won't go faster than 110 km/h with neither of them. It would not last.
I know they hens teeth but with your budget look for a Yamaha XT 600 E. If you want it to last the whole trip stick to 110 km/h too.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
 Off-road/technical riding and long distance don't fit together.

If you are new at adventure riding, your off-road riding will most probably be good gravel roads, also used by motor vehicles.

The DR is perfect for a beginner, fits in your budget, and can in general be bought 2nd hand with confidence. And easy to re-sell.

It also crashes well/cheaply. It is also the lightest in its class.

Technical/gnarly riding should be done with at least one buddy, unless you have a sat phone and medical insurance/back-up.

I'm in Nelspruit, Mpumalanga. You're welcome to overnight at my place, when in the vicinity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 06:50:49 pm »
TTR or DR-Z I won't go faster than 110 km/h with neither of them. It would not last.
I know they hens teeth but with your budget look for a Yamaha XT 600 E. If you want it to last the whole trip stick to 110 km/h too.
Good choice, and cheaper to acquire than a DR 650 SE.

Only buy a DR from 1996 or newer, and stay away from a '98 or '99 model. Can be retrofitted at $$$, but was not produced with a starter clutch, and engine internals can be damaged.

Offline Shimbungu

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:04 pm »
XT660R works pricewise, parts good anywhere, reliable on distance

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk

Offline Semmy

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:45:32 pm »
Wow thanks all of you for those suggestions! I am trying to stay away from a KLR 650, a friend of mine did the PanAmerica and got Stuck under his Bike in Guatemala for 4 Hours until someone luckily came by haha!
Nice to know that the DR maybe cant go much fast on long distance!  :ricky:
Well the thing is, im going for a Semester Abroad in Stellenbosch and when thats finished, ill be touring around with the bike for 2-3 Months.
But in the time that i am studying, i would like to go offroading and maybe trail biking (atlantis dunes, tracks somewhere around stellenbosch).
So yes  MaxthePanda i technically have time to look for a good bike, but the quicker the better!  :)
I already have a nice guy that would wait until i arrive to sell his TTR 250 to me (all services and papers, storage rack ect.) ,  since hes a passionate biker too, and likes what i want to do with his bike  :P
Chopperpilot, i belive your right, they dont fit together, but cant afford two bikes (or have the time to change)... And thank you, if i somehow get to where you live you will get a message :)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »
Semmy, go for the TTR250, I am on a XT600E and they are fine motorcycles, these Yamahas.

I live in Stellenbosch, so contact me when you are here and I will go show you the trails around Stellenbosch.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:45 pm »
Buy and ride the TTR while you're studying, then sell and get the XT 600E or similar for your 2-3 month tour.

I'm heavier than you, 1.82m, and the TTR gives me cramps in my upper legs when travelling even short distances.

As you'll be in Stellenbosch for the semester, Dan will be your man!

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 07:11:25 am »
HI Semmy. My 10 cents worth. What ChrisL says is true. I started off on a DRZ 400, then went to a WR 450, then a XR 650L and now I'm on a TTR 250.
Whatever anybody tells you, none of the above bikes are happy cruising at much more than 110kph all day on a tar road. To me the advantages of the TTR outweigh the larger engine capacity of the others. Start off by the bike only weighing 113kgs. It has 6 gears, electric and kick start, brilliant suspension and has a bullet proof air cooled motor. With a large Acerbis tank fitted, it's probably the most accident proof bike out there! Doing an oil change is easy peasy and the sight glass for the oil level is 100% accurate!!!!!!!!!  If you enjoy seeing the country side flash by in a blur and playing African roulette with goats, sheep ,donkeys,  minibus taxis and getting speeding tickets , then the TTR is not the right bike for you. Good luck with your choice and have a safe trip. Regards Cuzzy.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:50:33 am »
I think Chris proposed a XT600E?

Rightly so, in my opinion, for the reasons he mentioned.

Offline Semmy

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:20 am »
Again thanks for all the Feedback!
2StrokeDan,  thats awsome, i'll contact you when i'm there!
Cuzzy, thats more then 10 Cents, gave me a good insight of the roads and such! So i guess TTR 250 it is then (at least in the beginning)  :laughing4:
I don't need african roulette  ;D
Looking forward to the trip and the bike :)

Offline Beserker

• Agito ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 01:17:22 pm »
Semmy, go for the TTR250, I am on a XT600E and they are fine motorcycles, these Yamahas.

I live in Stellenbosch, so contact me when you are here and I will go show you the trails around Stellenbosch.

+ 1...on Yamaha, also in Stellenbosch.

With 2 kids riding, we're doing trails all the time, let me know when you're here.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »
Good luck finding a TTR250... RHS

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 03:52:12 pm »
Good luck finding a TTR250... RHS
He mentioned already having a lead on on
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north