Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: F1 TV coverage is now pretty good while motorcycle event coverage is disapearing  (Read 725 times)

Offline Warren Ellwood

Many years ago I was a massive Formula One fan, but my interest waned over the years and now sometimes I will try to catch the start and the end.

But seeing as I am now unable to ride a motorcycle for a few months, and there is such a lot of absolute shit, not to mention repeats, on TV, I ended up recording anything  thought would keep me entertained while  I spent a week or two at home recuperating from bicep surgery. And one of the things I did record were a couple of F1 races.

So it’s still only the start and the last few laps possibly that hold my attention, but I have to say I really enjoy the whole production since the Americans took over.

It is so interactive, with many roving reporters, interviews, and they make it really interesting. It also includes the practices, qualifying and the race in the same sort of format.
So well done to the new folks in charge, now can we have similar in MotoGP.

On another note, has anyone noticed how little motorcycle coverage we actually get nowadays? It’s been done fairly slowly but all we get besides the magazine type shows like “The Bike Show” and “2 Wheels TV” are MotoGP and World SBK, although there are one or two other programs like Kings of Dirt that cover the local enduro and MX scene.

It seems the days of FIM World Trails, FIM World Eunduro, The FIM World MX, World Free Style, the  Arena X and similar are gone for good. I mean at one point Supersport even gave us the Lucas Oil Moto X Championship from America as well, and we could watch Monster Super X on ESPN, which DSTV also canned.
Now we get to watch ten different kinds of Nascar.

WTF is all I can think of saying.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline bud500

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
F1... :bueller:

I'm just glad we get to see all the great WSBK, WSSP, WSTK and WSSP300 racing.

My wife is a little less appreciative...  >:D
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
My suggestion for MotoGP is buy a video pass on www.motogp.com

It costs around R2000 per year (Zuma dependent) and you can stream all the live practice sessions, the qualifying, the races and behind the scenes videos and interviews.

I think Supercross does something similar. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

BBC Northern Ireland streamed the NW200 fro free over Facebook. More and more people are doing that now.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
BT Sport2 does an excellent job covering MotoGP. They've got James Toseland, Colin Edwards, etc runninng around the pits and chatting up everybody.

Same for Eurosport WorldSBK coverage. And they even show warm-ups and all the practise sessions.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Buddy

It's all about sponsorship of the programmes on DSTV. You will notice for Nascar the advertisers are one chain of tyre fitment centers, and with bikes it's another chain of wheel and tyre fitment centres along with a lesser brand of energy drink. It all depends on how much the advertisers are prepared to spend that gets their desired form of motorsport on DSTV. Hope that makes sense.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline teebag

Personally find the new coverage a bit much - only the Merican's could turn a 2 hour event into a 5 hour marathon

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
"If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all"

I know, but I can't help it. I really, really wish that I could feel differently, because  once upon a time there was no more avid fan of motorcycle Grand Prix or any other form of motorbike sport. Even had a fair bit of interest in F1 cars.

But nowadays it all leaves me stone cold. There used to be rules of course governing the design and specification of the bikes,(and cars) but they left plenty of scope for diversity and technical interest, Nowadays it's so much about homogenisation that they may as well be a 'one make, one model' series. Even the circuits too seem to be designed for the benefit of the TV companies, to get maximum coverage with the minimum of camera crews and laps all around 1min, 30 sec. please, to enable the leaders (and their sponsors logos) to be in shot all the time.
The politics, the ever more stifling rule changes, and the ever more hysterical handbag duelling of the riders and teams, has just driven me away, and I'm really sad about it because i  truly would love to still be a fan.

Oh well, just nail down the lid and shovel the dirt on another dopey old fart.  :(
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
"If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all"

I know, but I can't help it. I really, really wish that I could feel differently, because  once upon a time there was no more avid fan of motorcycle Grand Prix or any other form of motorbike sport. Even had a fair bit of interest in F1 cars.

But nowadays it all leaves me stone cold. There used to be rules of course governing the design and specification of the bikes,(and cars) but they left plenty of scope for diversity and technical interest, Nowadays it's so much about homogenisation that they may as well be a 'one make, one model' series. Even the circuits too seem to be designed for the benefit of the TV companies, to get maximum coverage with the minimum of camera crews and laps all around 1min, 30 sec. please, to enable the leaders (and their sponsors logos) to be in shot all the time.
The politics, the ever more stifling rule changes, and the ever more hysterical handbag duelling of the riders and teams, has just driven me away, and I'm really sad about it because i  truly would love to still be a fan.

Oh well, just nail down the lid and shovel the dirt on another dopey old fart.  :(
Same goes for the Dakar I'm afraid  :P
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Exactly. The Daker is a challenge apparently - doesn't look like it on TV. Just looks like a race to me.

AMA Supercross and the Lucas Oli MX (whatever) was a huge loss. Euro MXGP was sort of second rate but still another loss.

Kings of Dirt is ........... well .................. shit.

However, it is all about the Kings ......... but nothing else, I'm afraid.

Getting boring and repetitive .............. a pity.

Getting old is kak  :(

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Motorcyclists themselves are to blame. Look at what sells the most, a brand like BMW who is not even interested in competition.

So you buy these type of bikes, but want TV to show actual motorcycle racing??

Come on.

:peepwall:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
Motorcyclists themselves are to blame. Look at what sells the most, a brand like BMW who is not even interested in competition.

Come on.

But BMW have been there, done that, and excelled at every branch of competition. Grand Prix, IOM, Road racing, ISDT, World speed records, Dakar.  Nothing more to prove, they can rest on their laurels.

So what if some of the laurels are more than 80 years old!  :imaposer:  ;)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve

Come on.

But BMW have been there, done that, and excelled at every branch of competition. Grand Prix, IOM, Road racing, ISDT, World speed records, Dakar.  Nothing more to prove, they can rest on their laurels.

So what if some of the laurels are more than 80 years old!  :imaposer:  ;)

:thumleft:

Offline Willem-Ben

The only thing that changed REALY is Hamilton is not mentioned in every second word.Dankie Tog.

Offline bud500

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Personally find the new coverage a bit much - only the Merican's could turn a 2 hour event into a 5 hour marathon

Have to agree. The kakpraat is almost longer than the race...
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog

Have to agree. The kakpraat is almost longer than the race...

.........and there's why I no longer like the sport. Also why i'm such an oddball, misfit, dinosaur, out of step and out of touch with the situation.

For me, the coverage could start with the 'GO' light, and end with the fall of the chequered flag, without any of the pre race or after race bullshit. But of course it can't happen that way. There has to be the starting grid 'show', with the camera panning slowly over each bike, rider and helmet.
Then the post race 'show' in the winners enclosure, with each bike parked precisely for the camera to pan over once again and the riders helmet placed precisely on the seat, having immediately donned the compulsory cap.
And so to the podium, each rider taking his helmet with (in case he falls on his head? or is one of his rivals likely to crown him with a champagne bottle?)  :o
Next of course, the interview room, Helmets mandatory once again, after all one may be smacked on the head by a microphone boom, can't be to safe in motorcycle racing!

Yes, yes, I know, sponsors money is essential to the very existence of the sport and every opportunity must be made to give them the maximum exposure.

BUT IT STILL ANNOYS THE SHIT OUT OF ME!!!