a bit technical, but I'm going for it..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?79888-R1150RT-2nd-Load-Relay-for-Twin-Spark

I like to fiddle around, some things I've done on my pig - 3.5bar fuel pressure reg (thanks Welsh), AF-XiED (fuel controller), rocket sprockets (google), and a R1100GS FD. Next up is matching the injectors if possible, and then the above.

I'm not an electronic engineer, like this guy (Roger) is, but I think I've got an idea of how to do this. It's risky though.

Basically, if you do this mod, you get a stronger spark on all your plugs (for twin spark), which seems to have an effect. Almost like the engineers realised that it was a problem at a later stage, but never did a recall. I've always though to myself that cold idle is so weak on my bike. Some say that is not the case with them, and I would imagine those guys own single sparks.

The twin spark ignition advance is different to single spark, twin spark flame front spreads quicker so less advancing needed - but because the coils don't charge adequately, it's not advanced enough and idling suffers - one symptom.

I'll try and post pics as i go, and report back whether it's worth it. I know Roger, and if he says it's worth it, it is.

Oh, I asked TravelAnt to ask the technical guys at North side whether they would do this... they said it should work, but they won't take the risk.