Quick ride to Okavango

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My old man was having his 70th so decided to ride up to him. He lives in Shakawe at the top of the Okavango (about 20 min ride from the border with Namibia and the Caprivi. Departure date was Wednesday 10th and I left Sasolburg at 1:50am to fill up and start the long ride up. Spot lights worked well and I was able to make good pace riding up to Zeerust. Went past Coligny with its police lights all over and managed to see 6.6 degrees c so was nippy. Got into Zeerust at 5:05am so decided to warm up with a cup of coffee and left for the border at 5:45am. Crossed over with no issues (they didn't ask for any papers except passport and to see my laptop to issue me with a SARS document for it. First time for me that they asked for this but told its normal. Crossed over into Botswana border control, paid my road tax (R250 single entry), got stamp and then through the gate into Botswana. Now the long straight boring section all way up to Shakawe. Some points to note:

1) Police like to trap about 1km before the Kang Ultra city
2) fines are very high in Bots
3) speed limits marked on Zumo 390 are a guide only. Half the time they are wrong so ignore and use the last speed limit sign you saw no matter what your Garmin tells you
4) The road from Sahitwa to Shakawe is very bad. Potholes so large you have to go off the road to avoid
5) Police trap about 700m before you enter Gumare on a long straight stretch. Road is covered in potholes and animals but they need to cover their operating costs especially when a speed trap is manned by 9 police officers.

Arrived at old man place at 5:30. Tired but feeling good. 1480km in a single day. Pics to follow shortly.

Attachments

• Route to Shakawe 10 May 2017.JPG
    Route to Shakawe 10 May 2017.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 658