Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE/SM 610 Check Counter Balancer Torque!  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: TE/SM 610 Check Counter Balancer Torque!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 06:59:34 am »
I have still to check whether a reference paint line will be visible through the oil filler - as you say one needs to check the bag filter anyway. The clutch washers look like the day they were born  >:D I am still thinking some resistant Loktite like Welsh suggests but will make that call when I get the woodruff key next week (hopefully as this is the Wild EC out here Welsh may be an SOS  8)). For reference it is 19 x 7.5 x 5 mm (l x h x w) - yes seems a strange size but looking at listings it is a standard size I suspect they are a mixture of imperial and metric conversions.

It was a technical innovation when Mr Woodruff invented his keys in 1888 ::) 8)
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 07:22:49 am »
I have still to check whether a reference paint line will be visible through the oil filler - as you say one needs to check the bag filter anyway. The clutch washers look like the day they were born  >:D I am still thinking some resistant Loktite like Welsh suggests but will make that call when I get the woodruff key next week (hopefully as this is the Wild EC out here Welsh may be an SOS  8)). For reference it is 19 x 7.5 x 5 mm (l x h x w) - yes seems a strange size but looking at listings it is a standard size I suspect they are a mixture of imperial and metric conversions.

It was a technical innovation when Mr Woodruff invented his keys in 1888 ::) 8)

Ja they work better than a piece of rough wood  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:33 am »
 :imaposer: : :imaposer: :imaposer:
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 04:38:08 pm »
Thats ruff Bd. Here`s a thought. A couple of years ago I had an it200 which has the chain on the opposite side to our huskies. Anywy, the nut that holds the front sprocket on came loose but was held in place by the sprocket guard totally fucking up the threads on the drive shaft. I got a a friend of mine to recut a reverse thread on the shaft and make up a nut to suit. That sorted out the problem. But on top of that he also cut a slot in the nut and drilled and tapped a hole through the face face of the nut and thruogh the slot. With that screwed and tightened up a grub screw with a bit of locktite. I never had a problem after that.
So..........maybe adapt that thinking with the grub screw.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 06:06:51 pm »
This is what the woodruff key looks like  :eek7:  - rough, ja!

And a pic of the big 'lock' washer with the locating tang. 
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36:54 pm »
I had the casing off not long ago, to inspect the strainer. (Clean BTW)

I was off course not aware of this issue at the time.

I did grease the new gasket liberally, and will be checking the nut/s soon.

Will get my metal engineering guy to advise on additional locking measures for the nut too.

There is a flat locking washer available in the trade. Might be a possibility, if a plan can be devised for the lip/tang!

I like the grub screw suggestion! Similar too castle nut and split pin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 12:40:13 pm »
Ok so bike back together and is super smooth again  :biggrin: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Interesting was that when the nut was torqued one could see on the washer with the tang that is lipped up that it had originally not had the correct torque. One could see that the original lipping compared to where the nut was after 100Nm was probably 25 - 30 degrees tighter. I also applied high strength red Loctite. I am confident this nut is not coming loose but will check it at oil changes. For the record you can see it through the oil fill hole so if paint marked can also be checked this way but you need to clean the bag filter anyway so may as well check then (which for the record was clean this side but the LHS had a fair amount of shyte - from the woodruff I am presuming and clearly it did its job well).

Regarding the torquing this is another story as a 38mm socket comes in a 3/4" fitting and most torque wrenches tend to be 1/2" ... you can get an adapter but I made a plan with a large hex socket and a 50c piece as a shim 8)

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 03:55:03 pm »
Or just weld any 1/2" drive socket to your 3/4"drive 38mm. Albeit a Brakpan plan, works well too.
BD glad your bike runs smooth again, mine is also going very well after the rebuild, sounds solid again.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:56:29 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 05:23:50 pm »
Borrowed the 38" - would not have been happy if his 38" 3/4 returned to his set as a 1/2"  >:D  Must say my plan worked a treat for a once off use.for
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:49:45 am by BiG DoM »

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 08:01:27 am »
Bertie.............you from Brakpan?