Dual-Sporting/Adventurising a Enduro/MX bike.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omninorm

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure
So stemming from the Small DS bikes thread i started wondering what the track record is on people that may have coverted a MX/Eduro bike like your KTM 500's etc.
I know people build things like this for Amageza, and thats probably perfect for the need.
But i'm thinking more like trips where you need to go a while on road then on say a 3 day trip or so.

What bike did you use and why.
What mods did you do and why?

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
I know Maxdapanda and Zebra (Chris from Flying Brick) has done these types of things.
I've got a WR250F thats on the road but thats only to get to the trails easily I wont attempt to take it anywhere near a highway to get to some areas. Trailering it to there is more ideal.
Currently I'm thinking of changing the front sprocket to a 14 tooth. Currently 13/50 on there. So winding out a bit on the road when you start going past 75km/h
I mean still plenty after that but the revs are getting way up there.
Loving the ratio off road and a bit worried that it will lack a bit in the sand at 14/50 although, i almost never use 1st gear now so might work.

Other things? Cush drive, Oil cooler or something to get more oil in to extend the range?

Sometimes I look at that KTM 350 and think that thats a perfect platform for something like a Dual Sport offroad bike where a 500 might be a bit too much.
Other bikes that I can think off that will probably be well suited is the 525/530, WR450, Husqvarna 310 perhaps?